PDA

View Full Version : should i run synthetic?

88Nightmare
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
In my silverado. 5.3 liter. I am about to hit 28k miles, would it be worth it to run synthetic in it now? or just run the dino oil still?

Korndogg
07-16-2007, 05:11 PM
I run synthetic in mine...and I have no idea why. But I have a feeling when I move out I will be going back to el cheapo oil.

Slow Joe
07-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd use Synthetic and stick with it... I've put it in 90% of my cars... The rest were junk...

STANMAN
07-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Synthetic FTW. Go to Wal-mart in Pewaukee, full synthetic for less than the price you can buy it for almost. Plus they do it in front of a huge window, so you can make sure they don't screw anything up. Plus the people actually seem like car people, they all talk to me about cars when I go in anyway, with my SRT when I had it, or the Stang.

88Nightmare
07-16-2007, 05:45 PM
theres very few select people I let work on my vehicles. wal-mart would definitely not be one of them

I do appreciate the suggestion though

Breecher_7
07-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Ran Mobil 1 syn in my ram since 12 miles on the clock, never a hiccup. Have been running Quaker state syn in the chevy since 60 miles and runs like a top.... Im not sure if its really any better, but it doesnt have parafin in it, wich is one of the biggest things that gum up engines so I think its cheap piece of mind.

STANMAN
07-16-2007, 06:17 PM
theres very few select people I let work on my vehicles. wal-mart would definitely not be one of them

I do appreciate the suggestion though

Oh, I know, I am that way to, lol. When someone suggested it to me I laughed actually. Then I kept hearing it from people, so I said to myself "hey, at least go and check the place out". So I did, it seemed like the people were cool, I could watch my car the WHOLE TIME, so I gave it a try. I have been very satisfied so far!

lilws6
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
1996 S10 blazer with 150,000 miles and i still run mobile 1 usually walmart has it the cheapest. but i change my own oil.

sacstoy02gt
07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
'95 Exploder, 214,000 miles on it; nothing but cheap Wal-Mart or Napa 5w-30. Still runs like a dream.

theavenger333
07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
90 Audi, 286k, running whatever is cheapest, aka walmart and advance brand. runs fine

subliminal1284
07-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Take it from someone who used to work at wal mart doing oil changes, YOU DO NOT want to take your car there. One time we had someone drain the oil on a car, take the old filter off then go pour new oil in. Without putting a new oil filter on. Guy came back 20 minutes later with no oil in his car. And they always either over fill or do not add enough.

STANMAN
07-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Weird, my car calls for 6.5, and they always give me the 1/2 quart back wrapped in a plastic bag. Like I said, I have had good luck, and I watch what they are doing, so I know they don't screw anything up.

Car Guy
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
should i run synthetic?

It really depends on what you want to accomplish with your vehicle and how long you plan on keeping it. This is the list of advantages [according to me and my own experiences] with running synthetic oil from largest to smallest.....

1. - It's cheaper in the long run vs. dino oil, AND you don't have to bother changing it every 3k miles.....

2. - COLD starting is much improved, and around here when it's routinely down into the single digits [or lower!] in the dead of winter you can tell.....

3. - A cleaner internal engine, the difference is sometimes unbelievable and I've seen it first hand.....

4. - Last but not least is there will be a slight increase in performance and gas mileage, along with an overall better running engine. BUT don’t expect an earth shattering difference, just like a cold air intake will NOT give you an extra 20hp.....

Now the only downside to running synthetic oil is there is a chance that it will create oil leakage, and mainly more so on higher mileage engines. Now I've heard many say "it's because synthetic oil is like water", well that's CRAP, and while synthetic oil does flow better that's not the reason why. When you introduce synthetic oil into an engine it's highly recommended to run an oil system cleaner, which pretty much gives the engine a complete 'enema'. Well in the process [along with the continued use of much cleaner running oil] you can remove 'build-up' that has accumulated with running dino oil, therefore exposing the real condition of the seals/gaskets/etc......

So in a nutshell synthetic oil doesn't cause the oil leaks it just exposes the flaws that were already there, if any. I have changed many vehicles over to synthetic and have only seen it in a fraction of them, it's something I wouldn’t even worry about…….

Well that's my 3 sense…..and if you have something to add or would like to debate please chime in, because I truly believe that synthetic is the way to go.....:headbang

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Slow Joe
07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
The reason I like to stick with synthetics is becasue I put it in my 150k mile Grand Cherokee when I had it, and it stopped burning oil every 3k... It went from 1qt to 0 burnt.

Car Guy
07-17-2007, 12:36 PM
The reason I like to stick with synthetics is becasue I put it in my 150k mile Grand Cherokee when I had it, and it stopped burning oil every 3k... It went from 1qt to 0 burnt.

Did it use any oil at all after putting in synthetic...???

I haven't noticed synthetic [or any oil] reducing oil consumption altogether, maybe slowing it down due to less friction inside the engine but stopping it I think is impossible.....

Anakonda69
07-17-2007, 12:40 PM
96 blazer with 165,000 and i use amsoil...in the long run equals to about the same as running mobil one...maybe a lil more....my motor has never run better then since i started using it.....

Slow Joe
07-17-2007, 12:46 PM
It didn't use any between changes that I could tell by the dipstick. Then again according to Jeep (Chrysler) 1qt/oil change is normal...

Did it use any oil at all after putting in synthetic...???

I haven't noticed synthetic [or any oil] reducing oil consumption altogether, maybe slowing it down due to less friction inside the engine but stopping it I think is impossible.....

Car Guy
07-17-2007, 12:51 PM
It didn't use any between changes that I could tell by the dipstick. Then again according to Jeep (Chrysler) 1qt/oil change is normal...

How often were you chaning it when running synthetic...???

Slow Joe
07-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Between 3 and 10k miles... :rolf Sometimes it didn't exactly get it's oil changed on schedule if I was on the road alot one week... I tried to average around 5k