PDA

View Full Version : Why it pays to live in alaska!!!

d4rk13l4de
07-15-2007, 04:20 AM
Alaska Permanent Fund hits record high

by Bianca Slota
Friday, July 13, 2007

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- There is big news for the Alaska Permanent Fund today. As of yesterday afternoon, the value of the fund is just over $40 billion. It is the first time the fund has reached that mark.

What this means is that the fund is continuing to grow at a good pace and, of course, as the total value of the fund increases, so does the size of the annual permanent fund dividend checks.

The very first deposit into the permanent fund was $734,000. Now the fund is earning that much just about every hour.

"I think it's extraordinary for people to put in perspective what the state of Alaska and its people have been able to do over these last 30 years," said Mike Burns, executive director, Alaska Permanent Fund Corp.

Because the global economy has been so strong over the last year, the fund earned $7 billion in 12 months.

"It will have the third or fourth best percentage returns in the history of the fund and in dollar terms certainly the largest," said Burns.

All this growth is a big turnaround from just five years ago when the country was in a major recession and the funds returns were dramatically slowed.

And since the PFD check amount is based on a five-year average it's good news for Alaskans.

"It will have a substantial effect on the dividend," said Burns.

Last year $666,779,140.80 was split up among 602,350 people.

This year the permanent fund corporation predicts the total pot to be about $1 billion. Split that up among 600,000 to 610,000 Alaskans and we're looking at the possibility of a $1,639 check, although it's more likely to fall between $1,500 $1,600.

"Of course the existence of the permanent fund dividend helps to protect the corpus of the fund too," said Scott Goldsmith, economist, University of Alaska.

Goldsmith says at $40 billion, the fund has the potential to pump $2 billion in to the economy each year.

"It just underscores how important the permanent fund is to the economy and what an important force it is," said Goldsmith.

And while Goldsmith warns it's impossible to predict future behavior of the fund, the growth we've seen is a testament to how well the fund is handled and should mean good things to come.

There's even more good news. The year 2003 was the last year the fund was not performing well and it will fall out of the PFD equation for next year's check. So we can expect it to be even bigger than this year's.

This past year actually ranks third or fourth in overall growth when you measure it in percentage growth. The late 1990s also saw rapid stock market growth, which led to the highest ever PFD check of $1,963 dollars in 2000.
Off of Ktuu.com

pickardracing
07-15-2007, 10:51 AM
What they dont tell you is the expenses involved in living in AK.

Cigarettes are 5-6 dollars a pack, milk is 5 bucks a gallon, candy bars, soda, etc items, all over 1.50... the list goes on and on.

It's expensive as all living hell to live up there, so this is a good thing for residents, but it all evens out in the end.

Moparjim
07-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Unfortunately the complte retards we have elected to Federal office have the exact opposite "plans". Rather than budgeting our country properly and investing in the world and local economy, at a time when everyone especially the Chinese are doing so, we prefer to continue to blow more than we can afford on everything from Afghanistan an Iraq to domestic waste of money pork projects, and rack up an enormous debt to the tune of 10 trillion or so, and pay interest on it to the tune of hundreds of billions per year. I guess as long as the country club network gets to continue getting rich off the deals its all well and good, except for the other 99 percent of us. Luckily we are all sheeple and remain fat dumb and happy by continuing to borrow the American way of life with big mortgages, car loans, taxes, and credit cards for the big screen tvs and such. Some day soon we will wake up and start dragging these people that sold us out and got rich off us into the streets, just like every other country in history where an obscen amount of wealth and power endedup in the hands of a small minority of the population. I have to end my rant now, I think the FBI and Homeland Security are at the door... Viva La Revolution!

Cjburn
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I think that rant just put you on a couple more lists. However, from what you've said, I'm pretty sure you're already on it. Whomever shows some individuality and intelligent thought is on some list to get locked up as soon as the one world government is put into power.

floaters
07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Unfortunately the complte retards we have elected to Federal office have the exact opposite "plans". Rather than budgeting our country properly and investing in the world and local economy, at a time when everyone especially the Chinese are doing so, we prefer to continue to blow more than we can afford on everything from Afghanistan an Iraq to domestic waste of money pork projects, and rack up an enormous debt to the tune of 10 trillion or so, and pay interest on it to the tune of hundreds of billions per year. I guess as long as the country club network gets to continue getting rich off the deals its all well and good, except for the other 99 percent of us. Luckily we are all sheeple and remain fat dumb and happy by continuing to borrow the American way of life with big mortgages, car loans, taxes, and credit cards for the big screen tvs and such. Some day soon we will wake up and start dragging these people that sold us out and got rich off us into the streets, just like every other country in history where an obscen amount of wealth and power endedup in the hands of a small minority of the population. I have to end my rant now, I think the FBI and Homeland Security are at the door... Viva La Revolution!

agreed

Z28Roxy
07-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Head of nail meet hammer.

Cryptic
07-16-2007, 11:18 AM
MoparJim for president.

stowsea
07-16-2007, 11:42 AM
we prefer to continue to blow more than we can afford on everything from Afghanistan an Iraq to domestic waste of money pork projects

anyone else catch this haha?