PDA

View Full Version : Ford at it again

Flight_740
07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/03/ford_spark_plug_fire.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/05/ford_techs_spark_plugs.html

flyin_blue_egg
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
This is the same NHTSA that in the last year has recalled 45,000 Honda Civic hybrids because the engine could stall; 1.2 million Honda and Acura vehicles because their owners manual had incorrect information about NHTSA's "safety hotline;" a few hundred thousands Nissan Altimas and Sentras because the engine could stop running at slow speeds; 45,000 Chrysler vehicles because leaking brake fluid could start an engine fire.

looks like someones getting paid off...or has a ford

BAD LS1
07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
This will swing around when someone has the right lawyer and enough money to make it stick.

Its an obvious design flaw when it happens to so many... a few here and there out of 200,000 + wouldnt even hit the radar... nearly 500 might not be enough i guess... All it will take is someone to get hurt and it thats when everyone will whistle a diff tune i guess.

Karps TA
07-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I look at it as a product improvement. Makes it easier to change plugs, just replace them as they spit out.

Car Guy
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I'll be the first one to admit that I'm a Ford person over GM/Dodge but the negative publicity is a little unfair compared to other car companies. First off they should release the % of vehicles recalled or having a problem, because if a certain company is making 5 times as many vehicles of course you’re going to see a bigger number. Second I would like recalls/all persistent problems to be listed on a neutral platform, I guarantee you that foreign car companies most likely get off way too easy.....

Now with that said I'm not blind to the fact that US makers have put out some crap over the years and done little about it. However, you have to look at stats/facts with a relative eye to come to a conclusion.....

But one thing I don't have ANY tolerance for is 'shady' repair work or cutting corners no matter who/where/what it is. My belief is >>> do it once, do it right, or don't do it at all…..and always be honest with your customers. I get people telling me that you can't make money with that but I strongly disagree. Just look at the big name foreign car companies that have been s-l-o-w-l-y making better and better cars for the last 20 years, where are they now...??? At the top of the food chain and I'd be surprised if they take a sh*t anytime soon.....

Just my 3 sense.....:thumbsup

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

BOSS LX
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
This problem was taken care of 5 years ago. And it happened when people put the plugs in too loose.

BAD LS1
07-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Well i think this got so much neg publicity as to when shit starts lighting on fire... I know that would get my attn. This is not a fault of mechanics either... 3 threads out of 8 on the plug physically holding it in the alluinum head just isnt gonna work. Combined with a sheet metal fuel rail right above it and an ign coil on the plug to act as a battering ram. The motor seems to be OK otherwise other than being a gutless turd in non lightning form... Just redesign the head and make a service kit and away you go. thats how we do it in the small engine industry.

Flight_740
07-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, all I can say is I would rather have a flimsy bed (toyota) than that issue.

Nix
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Insurance, free new truck hopefully:banana1:

They are lucky as hell to get outta that oven alive, damn Fords:devil:goof

Wait, my GTP is also notorious for setting themselves on fire as well, shit I better watch out!:thumbsup

BOSS LX
07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, all I can say is I would rather have a flimsy bed (toyota) than that issue.

Like I said, the problem was fixed in 2003. And as long as dumbasses didn't put the plugs in loose, there was no problem. There are lightnings making 650hp with no problems.

And if you drive long enough to start the truck on fire after a plug has blown out, buy a toyota!:rolf

Flight_740
07-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Funny how you say that but the techs are quoted as knowing there is an issue and ford simply does not care. Kind of strange how spark plugs get put in loosely on so many 5.4's eh?:rolleyes: Not taurus, not focus, not any other for product. Just the 5.4. I also don't understand how you say the "problem" was fixed yet in the same breath you say that the plugs were not being installed properly.

Not trying to argue or anything, just a simple debate.:thumbsup

Same heads on the lightning?

BOSS LX
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Funny how you say that but the techs are quoted as knowing there is an issue and ford simply does not care. Kind of strange how spark plugs get put in loosely on so many 5.4's eh?:rolleyes: Not taurus, not focus, not any other for product. Just the 5.4. I also don't understand how you say the "problem" was fixed yet in the same breath you say that the plugs were not being installed properly.

Not trying to argue or anything, just a simple debate.:thumbsup

Same heads on the lightning?

I know many ford techs, and 80% of the time they blew out after a tune up. And the problem was fixed in 2003 by adding more threads to the heads.

The 99-02 Lightnings have the same problems, but where fixed in the 2003 model year by adding more threads.

And I agree the old heads are f'ing junk. I worried about it when I had my Lightning.