PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs. Satellite

michelle
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm looking at getting DirecTV in my apartment since Charter is the only provider for cable around here and they are super expensive for the amount of channels I would actually get.

Any opinions on it? That DVR thing is pretty cool.

Thanks!

Is it even considered "satellite" or is it "dish"? Not that it matters, just curious.

Cryptic
07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Is it even considered "satellite" or is it "dish"? Not that it matters, just curious.
Same sh!t.

Dish is usually referenced to "Dish Network"... Direct TV's competitor. I find Dish Network's signal to look a little more compressed. On larger tv screens it can start to look a little compressed. You'll start to see digital artifacts (at least I do on a 65" inch tv).

Unless your going for the HD packages... I cant speak for that.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
i would not give up my charter cable, but i am sure that others have different opinions. i have yet to order the DVR from charter but most of my friends have it and it is awesome. a little more pricey than dish but i think it is worth it not worrying about it going out. seems like my buddys that used to adore their dishes have all gone to charter.

michelle
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Does dish go out that often? I've heard during storms, but is that it?

07ROUSHSTG3
07-10-2007, 10:15 AM
my buddys would go out in winter alot when it was snowing?!?! i am sure that the tecnology has gotten better, but my cable rarely goes out, and when it does i get refunded money!

Last year 5.0
07-10-2007, 10:19 AM
dish will still go out sometimes in storms, but with digital cable your not getting all the channels in digital like with dish net or DTV.

07ROUSHSTG3
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
dish will still go out sometimes in storms, but with digital cable your not getting all the channels in digital like with dish net or DTV.

that is changing. the government is making all cable companys get new boxes that receive all the channels in digital form. they were supposed to have the new boxes by the first of July, but they have been appealing:thumbsup

Holeshot
07-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Same sh!t.

Dish is usually referenced to "Dish Network"... Direct TV's competitor. I find Dish Network's signal to look a little more compressed. On larger tv screens it can start to look a little compressed. You'll start to see digital artifacts (at least I do on a 65" inch tv).

Unless your going for the HD packages... I cant speak for that.

Agreed with Andy On the bigscreen I have a 65 and it was noticeable until I went with HD. THE HDDVR is sweet. Just make sure it has it has the latest software update or you may see freezing problems.

JC70SS
07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
I have direcTV and never have problems. Don't waste your money on cable.

stowsea
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
i hate dish, no local channels its always going out. and its like a million channels with nothing on. we have charter acble now with the on demand thing plenty of free new movies and you can pause,rewind,fast forward, and stop it

DirtyMax
07-10-2007, 03:15 PM
i hate dish, no local channels its always going out.

:confused

With D-TV, I get all my locals and in HD in top of it.

Windsors 03 Cobra
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
They are all expensive as far as I'm concerned, I have had great service from time warner for the last 10 years but its damn pricey, I would be fine with just $45 worth of internets but my wife has to have $80 worth of TeeVee that she barely watches.

Russ Jerome
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Don't waste your money on cable.

Direct TV with HD/locals: $80 (mine did not like rain, I didnt
like the goofy fee's).

Cable PKG: worldwide phone, high speed IP, all my old satelite
channels plus HD local channels, DVR, bunch of others $100

Im saving over $68 a month, cable loves the rain :)

Breecher_7
07-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I have direct TV and now have the Wild blue satalite internet service as of about 20 mins ago. LIke it so far........

pOrk
07-11-2007, 01:38 AM
We hate satellite, it went out for over an hour today for the 30 minutes worth of storm we got. REAL GHEY

I miss cable

Poncho
07-11-2007, 02:00 AM
just dont' get satellite internet.

Breecher_7
07-11-2007, 06:31 AM
just dont' get satellite internet.

If you want a high speed connection and you live out in the middle of no-where, its your only choice. Works damn well to....

redpony06
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
If you want a high speed connection and you live out in the middle of no-where, its your only choice. Works damn well to....

Tell that to all my customers that are constantly losing their connection, cuz the bossman was too cheap to get a T1, and instead supplies his hotel w/ satellite.

Breecher_7
07-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Guess it depends on the service they have, there are a few out there with different systems. I did alot of research before i went with wild blue. From what I got from the install people, most issues are due to bad installations. The dish CANNOT move at all or it will loose signal. The mount for the one I have is a beast, like a tripod that anchors directly in the house trusses, not the roof pannels. Tell him to switch providers or have his dish looked at..........