PDA

View Full Version : My dog of 13 years passed today :'(

BigSnailBuick
07-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Well today was definatly one of the hardest days of my life. My handsome 13 year old Black lab Sir Patience Knight had to be put down. I found out 3 days ago he had a tumor in his left lung that was too large and was unable to be taken care of. His breathing got too hard for him this morning and just seeing him in pain was the worst thing I have ever seen. My family and I took him to the vet and my mother and I cried on him until they injected him. He lay with his head in my lap gave me one last look and wimper, followed by a gentle breath and died in our arms. I lost it compleatly, it was hands down the worst thing I have ever done ill miss him to death. :crying I have lots of great pics of him that I took the last few months, ill post those later but here is a pic from a few years ago of me givin him a little love :) Man will I miss my brother.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/Dsmprince/slide10.jpg

Nix
07-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Sorry man, I know how hard it is to loose a pet/family member. Sorry for your loss...

Yooformula
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
wow so sorry to hear that man.

Reverend Cooper
07-07-2007, 04:05 PM
that sucks i feel for your loss man

Crawlin
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
i sit here with some tears building up because i couldn't imagine your pain. I never had a dog growing up until last March. She's about 1.5 years old, and I could NOT imagine/fathom/etc... having to have the strength to do what you had to do. I feel for you man!

Irish
07-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Dude your story mirrors my own. I got a black lab (sadee) when I was 13. Grew up with the dog, she passed away when I was 26. I hand dug her grave 6'x5'in the middle of February, in my parents back yard. Figured it was the least I could do for 13 years of love and loyalty. I loved that dog more than I like some people. My sincerist condolances!

Cutlass Queen
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Sorry for ur loss

HITMAN
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
:( Man, I knew I should not have read this. :(

I feel so bad for you, my friend. I, too, had to have my best buddy in the world put down. The only time I have felt that much loss is when my Father died. Sometimes we just have no choice but to end the pain and and suffering of someone we love dearly.

My Dobe Warlock lived until he was 10, which is long for a Dobe but not nearly long enough for me. He was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, when it turned out to be congestive heart failure. The thing is, he was super active until about a week before he passed. He was running around one day and came in with a cough. He had it for a few days and then we took him to the vet. Bronchitis, the vet said and he gave us some anti-biotic. He seemed to get a bit better, but the cough never went away. Then one night my teenage niece, who was living with us at the time, called me all scared saying that Warlock was having a real hard time breathing. I got off work early and came home to a sight that 11 years later still puts me on the verge of tears. Here was this big, strong dog wheezing, legs shaking because in order to breathe, he had to stand, but he was too weak to stand. Every time he would try to lay down, he started to have very labored breathing, almost on the edge of suffocation. Finally, my niece was having to try and hold him up to take the strain off of his legs.

We took him to the 24hr Animal Emergency Center on Silver Spring, where he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He was drowning on fluid build up in his lungs. I was shocked. How could this happen to such a healthy, active dog? The vet told me that it just happens. Well, I asked her if this fluid could be drained. She said yes, he could be temporarily relieved of his condition, but that it was a lengthy stay and quite expensive. She added that because this was a chronic, ever worsening condition, it would only be a matter of time before he was right back in this horrible shape. Well, I had to make the hardest decision of my life and have him relieved of his suffering. They made him comfortable, I put my arms around him, they gave him the pink shot and he died in my arms. :crying

I had his remains cremated and we buried his ashes next to my Dad's at my old home in Oak Creek. It's been 11 years and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about my Dad, and my wonderful companion.

I know it's been shared before, but this little story alway brings me to tears but it also gives me hope that it just might true in some way:

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Daytonapacecar959
07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry for your lose:crying

Irish
07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
The Rainbow Bridge

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

You just broke my heart. Thanks for sharing that story.

flyin_blue_egg
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
man...i haven't had to put any of our animals down yet...2 dogs 2 cats..but they're all getting pretty old (the dogs are 12 and atleast 12-14) so i'm dreeding the day we have to put any of them down.....sorry to hear bout your lose though man

hrsp
07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
sorry for your loss....

what helped me was thinking o fALL the good times yall had together :) it will make you emotional but in a happy way

BigSnailBuick
07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
:( Man, I knew I should not have read this. :(

I feel so bad for you, my friend. I, too, had to have my best buddy in the world put down. The only time I have felt that much loss is when my Father died. Sometimes we just have no choice but to end the pain and and suffering of someone we love dearly.

My Dobe Warlock lived until he was 10, which is long for a Dobe but not nearly long enough for me. He was misdiagnosed with bronchitis, when it turned out to be congestive heart failure. The thing is, he was super active until about a week before he passed. He was running around one day and came in with a cough. He had it for a few days and then we took him to the vet. Bronchitis, the vet said and he gave us some anti-biotic. He seemed to get a bit better, but the cough never went away. Then one night my teenage niece, who was living with us at the time, called me all scared saying that Warlock was having a real hard time breathing. I got off work early and came home to a sight that 11 years later still puts me on the verge of tears. Here was this big, strong dog wheezing, legs shaking because in order to breathe, he had to stand, but he was too weak to stand. Every time he would try to lay down, he started to have very labored breathing, almost on the edge of suffocation. Finally, my niece was having to try and hold him up to take the strain off of his legs.

We took him to the 24hr Animal Emergency Center on Silver Spring, where he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He was drowning on fluid build up in his lungs. I was shocked. How could this happen to such a healthy, active dog? The vet told me that it just happens. Well, I asked her if this fluid could be drained. She said yes, he could be temporarily relieved of his condition, but that it was a lengthy stay and quite expensive. She added that because this was a chronic, ever worsening condition, it would only be a matter of time before he was right back in this horrible shape. Well, I had to make the hardest decision of my life and have him relieved of his suffering. They made him comfortable, I put my arms around him, they gave him the pink shot and he died in my arms. :crying

I had his remains cremated and we buried his ashes next to my Dad's at my old home in Oak Creek. It's been 11 years and hardly a day goes by that I don't think about my Dad, and my wonderful companion.

I know it's been shared before, but this little story alway brings me to tears but it also gives me hope that it just might true in some way:

The Rainbow Bridge

Author unknown...

Brought me to tears again man, you know exactly what its like then. It is comparable to losing a parent thats how much it hurts. Thanks for the words though its comforting to know your not the only one to have dealt with such hard times. I appreciate the story and I'm sorry for your loss aswell. :crying Thanks all for the support BCM. :)

JohnnyT
07-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I totally feel for you man. I lost my Golden Retriever Zach just over two years ago. Reading this still makes me teary thinking about him. Take care, sorry to hear about your loss!

Buster
07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Wow I feel your loss, dogs are hands down the most loyal friends one could EVER have.

WickedSix
07-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I am sorry for your loss :crying but friends will never be forgotten ;)