PDA

View Full Version : The Porsche from HELL...!!!

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Well some of you might already know the story of my bother-in-law's Porsche and what happened, and for you that don't it has been a F-story from day one to make a long story short.....:fire

Anywho, I'm looking for someone that has the capability to clear an airbag light on a 2000 Porsche Boxster. I have called the dealer and they're being a**holes about it; they want to charge me time to check the entire system, and THEN if there's nothing wrong with it they'll clear the light. I know why it came on and there is nothing wrong with the system, I JUST NEED THE LIGHT TURNED OFF, that's all...!!! If you or someone you know can help me out p-l-e-a-s-e let me know, I thought it could be done with a friend's brand new Snap-on scanner but for some reason it's not cooperating.....

~Justin :thumbsup

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

johnny--2k
07-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Looks like it needs to be turned off with a Porsche Tester 2 according to a few places I looked.

Check out the boxster forums and such....

Feature Pony
07-06-2007, 02:00 PM
how easy does the dash come apart. just take out the bulb and you will never have to worry!

SmokinRAM114
07-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I have a MAC Tools scanner. when i get home from work i will check if its capable of it.

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
how easy does the dash come apart. just take out the bulb and you will never have to worry!

It's not hard and I've thought of that MANY times, might just end up doing it because I can't see spending $175 just to turn off the stuipid thing.....

I have a MAC Tools scanner. when i get home from work i will check if its capable of it.

I'd appreciate it.....

BAD LS1
07-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Its liabilty issues is why they wont trust you and just turn the light off.. im sure the gauge cluster is just like other cars, they are LED's now, not bulbs so they cant be removed. Besides if the bag light is on, that means they wont work in a crash... not sure if i would want that risk either and just remove the LED or putting tape over it....

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Its liabilty issues is why they wont trust you and just turn the light off.. im sure the gauge cluster is just like other cars, they are LED's now, not bulbs so they cant be removed. Besides if the bag light is on, that means they wont work in a crash... not sure if i would want that risk either by removing the LED or putting tape over it....

It's actually just a .02 bulb and the system will work with the light on if everything's fine, which it all is in my case. The light is on because there was an open in the circuit and it's now just a reminder of that.....

Al
07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a scanner for VW/Porsche/Audi. (unfortunately, i lack a laptop right now)

Usually, there is a bad sensor somewhere in the car. Luckily, these things are not expensive, but getting to them is. The scanner will tell you exactly what is wrong,

I have had the airbag light on in my Audi for over a year now. The system will still work, but it will not adjust itself to the weight of the passenger. I got uused to it with time. The dash light I do not like is the ABS light that blinks on and off all the time.

I'd reccomend O'Riley or Alpine Imports. Mabey Mofoco can help you.

BAD LS1
07-06-2007, 02:33 PM
must be foriegn stuff... cuz i know GM stuff when a light is on, it wont work period. same with the ABS

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a scanner for VW/Porsche/Audi. (unfortunately, i lack a laptop right now)

Usually, there is a bad sensor somewhere in the car. Luckily, these things are not expensive, but getting to them is. The scanner will tell you exactly what is wrong.

Will any laptop do or do you need a special program/set-up...???

I was the one who caused the light to go on, I unplugged the airbag BEFORE disconnecting the battery. If I would have killed the power first and then unplugged the airbag [even a hundred times] the light would not have come on.....

Right as I did it I knew exactly what I did, and yes I was pissed....

must be foriegn stuff... cuz i know GM stuff when a light is on, it wont work period. same with the ABS

You are right, and you can also start the engine with the gearbox in any gear without pressing on the clutch pedal. I would have never guessed that on a 2000 Porsche, I hoenestly thought that was manditory as a safety issue......:confused

Russ Jerome
07-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Dont waste your time trying scanners on a 2000 Porche.
You will need a PST2 (Porsche System Tester) to clear
body module codes (air bag codes).

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Dont waste your time trying scanners on a 2000 Porche.
You will need a PST2 (Porsche System Tester) to clear
body module codes (air bag codes).

Is that the only thing that will work...???

SmokinRAM114
07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
sorry mine does not do porsche, just chevy ford dodge and saturn

SmokinRAM114
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
oh btw happy bday CAR GUY

Waver
07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
I dont know if this will work on a porsche, but how about disconnecting the battery for a few hours?

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I dont know if this will work on a porsche, but how about disconnecting the battery for a few hours?

Some people have tried that with luck and I'll be giving it a shot this weekend.....

theavenger333
07-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Alpine Import Automotive in Glendale (yes a bit far for you justin) has the capability, its whether or not they will actually do it. they're pricks. if you explain the situation they might do it. i'd get the number for you, but they're not high on my list

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Alpine Import Automotive in Glendale (yes a bit far for you justin) has the capability, its whether or not they will actually do it. they're pricks. if you explain the situation they might do it. i'd get the number for you, but they're not high on my list

Well if they're pricks I would rather not bother, my tolerance for people that are nothing but nice is very short.....

Russ Jerome
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Is that the only thing that will work...???

Well years ago we would purposely short out de energized systems
to make them start over, disconect battery and purposely cause
a B+ short to ground.......2000 Porsche I would just drive it or
pay the man, yes the air bags still work they are not disables
due to fault codes on any late model.

Car Guy
07-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Well years ago we would purposely short out de energized systems
to make them start over, disconect battery and purposely cause
a B+ short to ground.......2000 Porsche I would just drive it or
pay the man, yes the air bags still work they are not disables
due to fault codes on any late model.

I will pull the bulb or just leave it as-is before I pay the dealer what they want, I've put so much more money/time into this thing than originally planned by along shot. I honestly wish it would get taken out by a train so I never have to look at it again.....:guns1

theavenger333
07-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Well if they're pricks I would rather not bother, my tolerance for people that are nothing but nice is very short.....

they're pricks to me because of my car and some other reasons. they do great work, but if anything is "amiss" with the car or isnt quite how they like it they get pissy. they always want to just replace parts and such, not get them repaired or anything else. ex- my radiator in my audi was less than 2 months old. it got a puncture from a freak thing. i said lets get it repaired, seeings as it was new. they say "no you should replace it, 265 dollars please"

they know their shit, especially with high end Euros.