PDA

View Full Version : battle of the multi-tool

88Nightmare
07-05-2007, 01:19 PM
so I recently just purchased a Leatherman Wave multi-tool. Its kickass. It of course has the standard pliers, but also has 3 different knives, a file, scissors, a screwdriver with a reversible bit (has phillips and flathead) and then has a microsized screwdriver with another reversible bit (this one is very small, like fix your eye glasses sized small) and it has a larger flathead screw driver and a bottle opener. A friend of mine has a Gerber multi-tool. The benefit to those I suppose would be the fact that you can flick the thing open with your one hand, but aside from that, I don't see many benefits and mine actually has more tools in it. As far as quality, I don't see anything that would make one stand out from the other. What do you guys think?

88Nightmare
07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
and yes, clearly this post was made because im bored :D

Car Guy
07-05-2007, 02:08 PM
The only reason I voted for the Gerber is the 'one handed activation' to me is very useful when you're in a 'pinch'.....

It actually saved my left hand once which was 'trapped' by some wire which was attached to something VERY heavy.....:wow

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Silver350
07-05-2007, 02:50 PM
I had both tools at work. I felt that the leather man was kind of cheap and it didn't feel comfortable in my hand. I switch to gerber and I use that tool a ton at work. Sometimes when I am at home I am reaching for it to use but I dont carry it on me outside of work.

Myles
07-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I love the Gerber's, i never liked the leatherman that much. But then again, i work in a field of work that those tools come in handy, and i would rather a tool that feels spot on and can open quickly.

lasttimearound
07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
i carry a gerber at work and love it, never had a problem with it. i had a leatherman and the flip mechanism got so loose from constant use that i ended up 86'n it

WickedSix
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
had my gerber for ~8 years couldn't be more happy with it. Never loosened up and the slide action is great when you are working one handed....like holding something up that about to smack yer melon :stare:thumbsup

PonyKiller87
07-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Ive had my gerber for 10+ years since the Army issued it to me and it still works great. I had a leatherman before it and it just couldnt take the abuse. Both had the part inside the jaw for crimping end connectors but the leatherman wouldnt do it, the handles would just flex.

Rocket Power
07-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Gerber. Bought mine after I saw a coworker with one and I use it constantly at work now. I like it WAY better than the leatherman I tried. I need to find a new pouch for it mines worn out at the bottom.

Reverend Cooper
07-05-2007, 06:54 PM
and yes, clearly this post was made because im bored :D

no kiddin',you dont need no tools you dont fix nothing but Capt. Ron's coffee and fetch him dognuts

moels
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Ron eats dognuts?? Gross!

Teufelhunden
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I own both, I like the the Gerber better. my 2 cents

Breecher_7
07-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Im gonna have to say gerber as well. I dont believe them to be built better but they are easyer to use in a pinch with one hand as stated above.

SmokinRAM114
07-06-2007, 08:38 AM
The benefit to those I suppose would be the fact that you can flick the thing open with your one hand, but aside from that,

i have had my wave for 2 years, its so worn in that it falls open with one hand lol git-r-broke in and itll open better then any gerbage

PonyKiller87
07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Gerber. Bought mine after I saw a coworker with one and I use it constantly at work now. I like it WAY better than the leatherman I tried. I need to find a new pouch for it mines worn out at the bottom.

Try REI(I think thats the name, its the rock climbing place on capital) they have a couple different ones, I have the one that holds the gerber and a small mag light.

88Nightmare
07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
i like my leatherman so far. we'll see how it is in a year down the road, but hey its got a lifetime warranty I believe.

johnny--2k
07-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Gerber for me too....

Rocket Power
07-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Try REI(I think thats the name, its the rock climbing place on capital) they have a couple different ones, I have the one that holds the gerber and a small mag light.

Thanks, having a space for a light is even better:thumbsup

HAMRHEAD
07-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Gerber by far. Leathermans are okay but the Gerber just feels like a better tool and most people in the military like the gerbers as well. We use them all the time and love'em!

Brandon W.
07-07-2007, 02:08 AM
no kiddin',you dont need no tools you dont fix nothing but Capt. Ron's coffee and fetch him dognuts
:wow:wow:wow........owned...and ill say the leatherman.. the more tools is a plus. i am never in a tight "bind" or "pinch" so i can take my time and dont need instant access.

pickardracing
07-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Schrade > Gerber >>>>>>>>>>>...> Leatherman.

My Schrade rocks the socks. Have owned one of each, Schrade is the best IMO.

HITMAN
07-07-2007, 07:24 PM
I've not used any of these devices personally, but I've read about the Schrade. It's supposed to be the best.

stenchmiester
07-08-2007, 03:31 PM
hahaha yes mike thanks for posting this i see my gerber is winning