PDA

View Full Version : 'History' of Fireworks......

Car Guy
07-05-2007, 12:04 PM
So last night when we were waiting for the fireworks in St. Francis to start I was talking about how many fireworks you see being lit off in 'populated' neighborhood areas in the past few years. I was thinking back to the late 80's/early-mid 90's [when I was a non-stop firework lighting machine :headbang] and I really can't remember as many people shooting of fireworks, especially on the 4th......

If you think about it there are more places that sell fireworks than ever before [not that there's anything wrong with it], so thery're more accesible than ever. I can remember 'back in the day' when passing through another state that DID sell fireworks we always stopped to get some and it was like we won the lottery.....

Now I haven't been around too long but I'm guessing that the overall public acceptance of fireworks has a 'cycle'. As with anything people always push things to be bigger and better, and with fireworks I think it's going to get to a point of being too much for most people very soon......

[B]Now please chime in if you're older than me and can remember the 60's/70's/early 80's. At any time during then did fireworks get to a point of being 'too much' with people getting hurt and so forth, resulting in public outcry/complaints to outlaw or 'crackdown' on them altogether...???

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

WickedSix
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I grew up in Cal during the boom years.....unfortunately they have always been taboo where I grew up....wild fire capital of northern Cal. I had similar experience going to cousins where fireworks were allowed it was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. :wow

Karps TA
07-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I know it wasn't as easy to get the stuff as it is now. We used to drive out of state to IN, or we even went to TN one year to get the better fireworks. Most the small stand here had nothing but sparkers/snakes/small fountains. Now you can by a 500 gram grand finale at alot of them. It's pretty crazy what you can buy now.

I don't expect this freedom to last long though. Sooner or later some irresponsible parent is going to let his kid launch a 3" mortar and the kid will get killed and the State will overreact and ban all the stuff. It's just a matter of time.

awsomeears
07-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I was thinking back to the late 80's/early-mid 90's [when I was a non-stop firework lighting machine :headbang] and I really can't remember as many people shooting of fireworks, especially on the 4th......

haha

Remeber packing them in those old school suit cases we had/I have :rolf

How in the hell did we make it to our 20's with all 8 fingers and 2 thumbs :rolf

:alcoholic

HITMAN
07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Back in the day (1960s/1970s) you used to be able to legally purchase real M80s and Cherry Bombs. Too many retards removed limbs with these things and then the Fed put the kabosh on sales of them. My cousin used to get some every spring in Tennessee on our way to Florida for Easter vacation. He used to vaporize Horseshoe crabs with them. :wow