PDA

View Full Version : PC Reviews

VroomPshhTsi
06-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm looking into a home PC pretty soon and was wondering what PCs I should stay away from. I'm looking for a desktop with the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
2 GB RAM
roughly 200 GB hard drive
DVD/CD-RW
17-19" widescreen LCD monitor

Also I'm interested in the smaller, compact desktops. Right now I'm looking at HP (slimline) and Dell.

Anyone have recommendations? What PC do you currently use and any problems with it?

- Brian

VroomPshhTsi
06-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Also wondering about Windows Vista. Some people have complained that they like XP much more. Is Vista just annoying or better than XP?

Deggy
06-30-2007, 02:13 PM
i've heard ups and downs about Vista...not really familiar with it...because both of my computers now had XP....But I just picked up and HP Laptop for school... What your looking at memory wise and processor wise is good.. thats pretty much what is in my new laptop. When i get it back around 6 i can let you know how i like it.

SSDude
06-30-2007, 02:15 PM
The system your looking for sounds like it should handle vista fine as vista is a resource hog. I haven't used vista myself but from what ive read some computer companies went back to building units with xp. On the other hand a tech at milwaukee pc said vista was just fine for him. If you start out with xp you can always go to vista after they work out more of the problems.:thumbsup

Go Speed
06-30-2007, 03:15 PM
build it. Make yourself a SFF or MicroATX. You'll spend about the same money, get a way better warranty on all the parts from the manufacturer and find way more support on knowledge bases and support forums rather than some phone monkey reading a script.

A couple of hours on Extreme Tech, read this page - http://www.extremetech.com/category2/0,1695,644478,00.asp and you'll be ready to order.

Vista has some minor hardware compatibility issues (mostly scanners/printers) not a lot of drivers available... yet. That'll change. It just sucks getting used to a new OS. It's not too bad, just has some annoying new 'features'.

subliminal1284
06-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Sure get Vista if you dont mind a big chunk of your resources going to just running the OS. If you do and you would like your PC to run faster just get XP

domokun
06-30-2007, 05:49 PM
stay away from big box manufacturers for a pc! ( I fix those peices of shit daily )

but for what your looking for ( not turning this into a classified but more of less trying yo help you out )

but im currently selling a computer with specs below for 600, which is a good deal, if you were to buy all of the components off newegg, it would be around 1100 before shipping ( I just checked )

e6300 1.8ghz core 2 duo ( overclocked to 2.9, SUPER STABLE )
asus p5nsli motherboard
2 gig ram
BFG tech 6800GT OC video card ( all settings on high on ALL current games )
sata II 80 gig Hard drive
memorex dvd-rw ( dual layer 16x )
lian li all aluminum case with side clear window
550w thermaltake power supply

an I can add vista ultimate or xp pro for what I can get it at cost ( 50-100 )

domokun
06-30-2007, 05:51 PM
to top it off, ill even warranty the parts for a year

VroomPshhTsi
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
i'm still shopping around but thanks for the heads up... i won't be buying one till early august but i'm beginning the search now, i'll stay in touch...

hrsp
07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
"dude your getting a dell" sorry had too...

i have a e machines? and it works good for me...but i know shitt about shit when it comes to whats good and whats not so i'll just leave now

domokun
07-01-2007, 08:59 PM
"dude your getting a dell" sorry had too...

i have a e machines? and it works good for me...but i know shitt about shit when it comes to whats good and whats not so i'll just leave now

emachines is like a kia in the car world :rolf :goof

just wait till that motherboard goes ( happens to like 80percent of those darn things! )

u_say_go
07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Windows Vista blows! I hate it with a passion, I can not wait to go back to XP Pro.

BadAzzGTA89
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I say you can get a nice Dell!
Look at there site and build your own:)

hrsp
07-01-2007, 10:57 PM
emachines is like a kia in the car world :rolf :goof

just wait till that motherboard goes ( happens to like 80percent of those darn things! )

hahaha knock on wood no problems n the 3 years we had it....

lolololol the kia of comps..that sucks

wikked
07-02-2007, 09:38 AM
lolololol the kia of comps..that sucks

It could always be the Daewoo of comps... the Compaq. :chair:

michelle
07-02-2007, 10:55 AM
If you have a choice, don't get Vista right now. It drains your computer's speed. Even with the duo-core processor, it really drains it.

domokun, do you fix computers? Possibly laptops? I am having driver errors with my Vaio. External drivers no longer work - USBs, PC Card, memory stick slot, etc. My CD player still works! Deleted and reloaded drivers and still no luck. Geek Squad killed it and won't fix it.

wikked
07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I fix computers on teh cheap.
Took me about 10hrs to clean HRSP's virii/spyware/adware/malware disaster - $20 :]

wikkedsquad > geeksquad

0TransAm0
07-02-2007, 07:33 PM
me and the girl just got this dell XPS 410 and i like it... yes it has vista. but im just getting used to it.. its ok i guess for the little bit that i use it, it does the job. and it came with a 19" lcd flat panel AND i got 0% for a year. thats the main reason i got it...

VroomPshhTsi
07-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Vista seems like a love it or hate it thing. Most people who upgrade their current computers to Vista tend to hate it but people who buy a brand new computer that comes with Vista (which will be my case) tend to like it. It does suck that it uses so much memory just to run.

Anyone else recently buy a new computer with Vista? Comments?

hrsp
07-03-2007, 02:20 AM
It could always be the Daewoo of comps... the Compaq. :chair:

shit thats the other comp i have :(..

hrsp
07-03-2007, 02:21 AM
I fix computers on teh cheap.
Took me about 10hrs to clean HRSP's virii/spyware/adware/malware disaster - $20 :]

wikkedsquad > geeksquad

yes i will vouch for wikked...good guy does good work for a GREAT DEAL!!!!!!!!