PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems....

hrsp
06-27-2007, 09:50 PM
so the saab has an issue,,,when i'm breaking it feels like the breaks are pulsating X10..kinda thump....thump...thump... just started yesterday? what to check and how to check would be cool :thumbsup thanks

u_say_go
06-27-2007, 09:53 PM
warped rotors?

Car Guy
06-27-2007, 09:56 PM
If you can feel it in the brake pedal it's the rotors, and if they're thick enough you can try cutting them otherwise you'll need new ones.....

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Reverend Cooper
06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
is this front and rear disc

Russ Jerome
06-27-2007, 09:59 PM
If you want to correctly diagnose the issue I have a nice
mag-mount indicator to check the rotor runout. Otherwise
like mentioned above simply replace the warped front rotors
that are more than likely the issue.

Year/make/model and I can tell ya if they are floating (simply
remove wheel/rotor) or sealed/pressed and need some gadgets
to press it off/on.

hrsp
06-27-2007, 11:42 PM
is this front and rear disc

yes

i looked at the front rotors and they seem ok..the back on is in real bad shape there is a huge lip going around it...lol...so thats prolly gonna be it...

hrsp
06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
If you want to correctly diagnose the issue I have a nice
mag-mount indicator to check the rotor runout. Otherwise
like mentioned above simply replace the warped front rotors
that are more than likely the issue.

Year/make/model and I can tell ya if they are floating (simply
remove wheel/rotor) or sealed/pressed and need some gadgets
to press it off/on.

1994 saab 900s 2.3liter auto

Brandon W.
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
ill agree with warped rotors..has it been a slowly getting worse problem?. or was it an all the sudden type of deal. because if thats the case it may not be rotors. ive never heard of rotors warping that bad in one day. my $0.02. hope it helped.

hrsp
06-27-2007, 11:48 PM
If you can feel it in the brake pedal it's the rotors, and if they're thick enough you can try cutting them otherwise you'll need new ones.....

i can feel it big time in the pedals...

can you "see" warped rotors? how can i tell which one is bad..other than looking at em?

hrsp
06-27-2007, 11:49 PM
ill agree with warped rotors..has it been a slowly getting worse problem?. or was it an all the sudden type of deal. because if thats the case it may not be rotors. ive never heard of rotors warping that bad in one day. my $0.02. hope it helped.

the brakes always pulsaated a bit...then one day it was real bad....

Brandon W.
06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
ok. then id say its the rotors. have them turned. usually they fall within spec. if not get new ones.. or junkyard ones that are in spec and have those turned.

Car Guy
06-28-2007, 08:48 AM
i can feel it big time in the pedals...

can you "see" warped rotors? how can i tell which one is bad..other than looking at em?

You can't really 'see' warped rotors, how do the pads look...??? If you want someone to look at them let me know, I'd give you a hand.....

u_say_go
06-28-2007, 08:51 AM
99% of the time you can not see the warp, it doesnt take much to cause the pedal to pulsate. Most auto parts stores will turn the rotors for free when you buy new pads.
good luck, let us know what you find out

Anakonda69
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
just get new rotors...rotors are cheap and if they're new any defects would be warrantied....just hope if u have them cut the people know what they're doing.....i've seen some pretty bad cut rotors...

wikked
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Also, if you can feel shuddering at like 70mph (no braking) then it's the rotors.

Autozone blanks FTW!

hrsp
06-28-2007, 02:50 PM
well both back ones are fukked and both pads are uber thin so i'll be getting a set of pads and 2 new rototrs for it...hope that does it!!!

i'll let you know when its done!!! thanks for the help

hrsp
06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
napa ftw 25.00 for rear rotor!!! can get it tommorrow!!!

autozone.checker-advanced all wanted 50-75 for em and couldnt get em to me til the 3rd...