PDA

View Full Version : Delphi Oak Creek

Holeshot
06-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Well its official and we all knew it was coming but...........

Bankrupt Delphi Corp. plans to close its plant in Oak Creek by the end of next year, a union leader said Friday.

The Delphi operation on S. Howell Ave. consists of two units, and one of those units had been hoping that it would remain open after the company emerged from bankruptcy.

But "that's not going to happen. Our site is going to be closed," said Skip Dziedzic, president of United Auto Workers Local 1866. Several hundred people - most of them temporary workers - are employed at the plant.

Delphi has made it official that both units in Milwaukee will be shut down as part of the parts supplier's ongoing bankruptcy reorganization, he said.

Workers had known for at least a year that production of catalytic converters would close by the end of this year. The engine controller production will close by the end of 2008, he said.

Delphi, the UAW and General Motors - Delphi's former parent company - reached an agreement that covers plans for Delphi factories and separation benefits for UAW members. That agreement must be ratified by UAW members. Local union members are scheduled to vote on the deal Tuesday in Greenfield.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Driving past there last night its a damn shame how much has been torn down and replaced with a grocery store and some cheap retail strip mall type garbage. as if we dont have enough of that junk now.
A friends dad who was a welder there from the beginning welded up the concrete form for the AC/ring logo that was in the building that was knocked down, Im sure he dont care he's retired on a beautiful pension.

Its just to bad to lose more jobs in this area. I guess when all the heavy industry is gone some of us can go to work at PANERAS :rolf

I gotta wonder if that old telescope/observatory thing still works at AC soon to be torn down Im sure.
Maybe now OC politicians can get some nice residential development and MORE TAX DOLLARS :wow

Mssplayboybunie
06-24-2007, 09:23 AM
I was wondering when this was going to happen now we know.

BlownMe
06-24-2007, 10:08 AM
It doesnt come as a surprise. I used to work there until this past October. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.

Reverend Cooper
06-24-2007, 10:16 AM
didnt the delphi plant close in indiana not too long ago also? that sux i hope everyone has another job by close

Moparjim
06-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Yep another one bites the dust. It won't be too long before we are an entire country of uneducated, unskilled losers that do not design or manufacture anything but lawsuits and paperwork at the rate we are going. The good news is that none of the politicians or CEOs/managers have to worry - I am sure Steve Miller the guy that finished off Delphi can scrape by on the 3 million signing bonus (more than most people make in a lifetime) he got before even walking in the door until his next hatchet job.

Top employers in this area 30 years ago used to be places like Allis Chalmers, American Motors, etc. Today the list is full of places like Aurora Healthcare (paper pushers mostly, not doctors) and Manpower a temp agency.

Sadly, much like the FUBAR situation in Iraq, few people seem to care... Until it affects their family or friends that is...

Silver03SRT
06-24-2007, 06:04 PM
My ex's dad worked there and he retired just before they started laying everyone off.

Crawlin
06-24-2007, 06:14 PM
AMEN Jim....

The first part of your post is right on. People would rather invest $10/day into trying to win the lottery instead of a 401k or something of some TRUE value. Then those are the same people eager to sue McD's because the coffee was too hot. Again, the same people that came into my dealership the other week threatening to sue ME because I wouldn't allow her to use someone else's credit card number on a blank piece of paper.

******* LAZY ASS people.

It does have me wondering though. The hippy generation is seeming to take hold of this country more and more. The people that grew up in the 60's and 70's. It really won't be TOO long till they are out, but will we survive long enough. The flip side is all I see in EVERY single forum I'm on, is a bunch of people that have the same ideals I do(about lazy welfare getting, food stamp having ***** asses) and I have to wonder if any of them are actually going through the processes/jobs in order to one day help run this country. Do I think that a vast majority of people agree on the simple subject that this country has a great opportunity for improvement? Yep. But I think those people with the intelligence and the drive to do something like that, may end up one day running their own company and doing something of PERSONAL value for the larger paycheck.

Holeshot
06-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Well this hippie is dumping 14% of every pay check into my 401 and stock options. There are some people with great work ethics and a drive to strive and survive .
and then we have the lazy POS looking for a handout at every corner.

SSmike1
06-24-2007, 08:49 PM
keep buying those Foreign cars,
and no one will have a job in Milwaukee anymore!

Karps TA
06-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Well you also have the stock market ruining business in this country. Companies today are more focused on what their shareholders want/demand, then the interests of their employees, customers, or communities. Companies used to have strong footholds in their communities, and in turn the people who worked for them had pride in the company they worked for. But when CEO's and other board members started getting more money from stock bonuses and options, their focus changed. And the stock market itself is against the working class in the country. Just watch/read the business news. Company A makes a $50 million profit the last quarter, but the "expert analysts" thought it should have made $55 million so the stock drops. Company B lost $20 million, but also annouced they are closing a factory and cutting a 1000 jobs to move the work to China, that stock goes up $3.

It's crazy how things have gotten.

DynoTom
06-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Well you also have the stock market ruining business in this country. Companies today are more focused on what their shareholders want/demand, then the interests of their employees, customers, or communities. Companies used to have strong footholds in their communities, and in turn the people who worked for them had pride in the company they worked for. But when CEO's and other board members started getting more money from stock bonuses and options, their focus changed. And the stock market itself is against the working class in the country. Just watch/read the business news. Company A makes a $50 million profit the last quarter, but the "expert analysts" thought it should have made $55 million so the stock drops. Company B lost $20 million, but also annouced they are closing a factory and cutting a 1000 jobs to move the work to China, that stock goes up $3.

It's crazy how things have gotten.

I think you are 100% correct on this !!!:thumbsup

I don't see anything changing on all this....

Breecher_7
06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
THis is what happens when you pay someone 100K a year to sweep the floor.....

WickedSix
06-25-2007, 12:28 PM
THis is what happens when you pay someone 100K a year to sweep the floor.....

Nail on the head, remember the union trouble and the early buyouts because of the pension plans for united auto workers. They are paying out the a$$ for alot of long time workers. You can't bleed a stone :wow

Crawlin
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Well this hippie is dumping 14% of every pay check into my 401 and stock options. There are some people with great work ethics and a drive to strive and survive .
and then we have the lazy POS looking for a handout at every corner.

I wasn't saying EVERY person was that way. my parents grew up in that age and are doing quite well also.

I guess the more proper way to have written it, would be to say that those with the extremist views(left or right) are usually the ones that go after such positions in order to THRUST their beliefs on the majority