PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys store your cars?

Crawlin
08-06-2003, 05:52 PM
where you put them up for the winter? how much? do they allow you to work on the car while it's there?

Chris

Knyghtmare
08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Damn good question.

WanabFast
08-06-2003, 06:02 PM
I wish i had a car to store mine. poor baby:( Hopefully soon!

TrixieLudeRacer
08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
There are a lot of places out by myself...farms and what not with lots of storage...I'm blessed with 4 garages and a car hauler so storage comes easy for me. But yeah if you looking seriously i can ask around, and i would need to know for sure if you want it stored there by september, cause spots fill up quickly.

Crawlin
08-06-2003, 06:50 PM
exactly the reason i'm asking now :) i'm just wondering because i'd like it to be atleast a temperature controled area, or atleast somewhat resistent to mother nature. it's a no motor/trans car, and i don't want anything weather wise harming any of the sensors. i have something up the street from me, but don't know if they'd allow someone to work on it there.

Chris

Rocket Power
08-06-2003, 08:41 PM
I paid 120K for a garage to keep them in. Oh yeah, it also came with a house;)

PB86MCSS
08-06-2003, 09:19 PM
Good question.

I stored my SS at a place in Muskego, by the high school. Guy has a couple garage/barn deals. Cement floor and nice brick walls, decent place. He has about 12 cars or so a year, I dont think you can really go to work on them although I never asked.

Hes a nice guy and the place is close to me, but I wouldnt mind working on my own car a couple times maybe, plus his price jumped to $240 last season :mad: :wow .

Needless to say Im looking for a cheaper alternative, especially if I store both rides...Ill be paying attention if anyone else knows of places out this way :).

GRNDNL
08-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Your going to have a really hard time finding someplace that will let you work on your car, Insurance would cost a couple hundred a month alone.

I can sell you a really nice 4+ car Heated Garage with 5 acres and a house, on the easy payment plan, one lump sum of 250k....;)

Crawlin
08-06-2003, 10:14 PM
i guess the working on it doesn't really matter. i just don't want it to be in a barn.

Burgandy85SS
08-06-2003, 10:20 PM
I rent a 2 1/2 car garage for mine and that has no electricty so working on them must be done durring daylight hours.
You may want to keep an eye on the Miscilanious Rentals section in the Sunday paper there is usually someone renting out storage spots in there.

Flight_740
08-06-2003, 10:28 PM
Hi, ive never posted yet but i figuredthis would be a good place to start.

Try the old persons homes in your area. alot of those older pepole are affraid to drive and dont have a car. Most of the time the garages are heated and have wash bays. They usually only charge about 30 a month. just go in and ask some of the pepole and they might have somthing for you.

GRNDNL
08-06-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by z28kid98
i guess the working on it doesn't really matter. i just don't want it to be in a barn.

The upstairs of a barn is the best storage, very dry. Dirt and cement floors get very damp anytime the temp goes above freezing, unless you find something heated. I'll keep my ears open, theres alot of empty buildings in the industrial park by me.

Crawlin
08-06-2003, 10:42 PM
that's what i was tlaking about up the street from me. i KNOW they rent spaces out cause i have a friend with a few cars there. just didn't know if they had to be 'finished" stuff. my heap doesn't leak, so i guess that's good :)

Thanks keith!!!

SLOWC5
08-06-2003, 11:19 PM
UMM. JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS, I HAVE STROAGE AVAILIBLE, MORE THAN YOU NEED, FOR EVERYONE!!!, STAYS AROUND 50 degrees through winter, its located in waukeshea by west ave. and sunset. off of sunset. The OLD AMRON Building. We store boats, cars, bikes, jetskiings, trucks, anything you need stored will fit here. So, contact me as you get closer to storage times and We'll get a group deal going :D, Seriously though if and when people need storage. I'll give you the number and your more than welcome to have it stored there in a NON-Freezing building, close to home for some.

JEFF

Crawlin
08-06-2003, 11:39 PM
that's two blocks from my work, and like 2 miles from my house. i will be contacting you closer to winter! PM me with a price per month or however you do it

SLOWC5
08-06-2003, 11:49 PM
where do you work, My dads place is over in the industrial park on west ave. by 59 and the place I worked was over there and now its over on st.paul. I work at 3-D solutions, and my dads business is Wisconsin Metalworking Machinery. I'll talk to him, and see what he says per month. 1 car correct? i'll let you know.

JEFF

Heat Seeker WS6
08-07-2003, 12:22 AM
My garage. Jack the car up off the ground & support the suspension.

sachin528
08-07-2003, 02:55 AM
My Dad has a nice size warehouse in Germantown, Im sure if I wanted to I could find room to store a car or two in there. :thumbsup

But for now, it stays in our 3 car garage. I am worried about it when I go up to Stout next year though.

Crawlin
08-07-2003, 08:34 AM
well, maybe a bit more than two blocks, but i work up by 59/164 industrial parks. The one by All Pro Motorsports. The company I work for, Signs and Lines, is located right behind Roger's Autobody. It's right off 164.

Chris

Crawlin
08-07-2003, 08:36 AM
oh yeah, and just one car(camaro) that will be covered.

Scales
08-07-2003, 09:19 AM
I have underground parking here!!!:thumbsup I can't work on my car, but at least is's always a constant temp.. I know they did used to rent out extra spots, not too sure what's available. Probably goes for about $30-$40 a month. If anyones interested, lemmie know and I can ask the manager what's open...

b.t.w.. it's 124th and Oklahoma

97z2801ss
08-07-2003, 07:10 PM
WEll there boath in the garage at the house for the winter.... So no worries:)

Tony

Silver350
08-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Store??? whats that? The truck was driven year round since it rolled off the assembly line in december of 97. The truck sleeps in a garage a couple houses down from me.

Knyghtmare
08-08-2003, 12:07 AM
My car hasnt seen a winter since it rolled off the line in 91. I dont plan on it seeing one any time soon. :eek:

indyzmike
08-08-2003, 01:24 AM
My car has not seen a winter in 10 years. Well, really hasn't seen a summer either. It's been out 4 days this summer for 200 miles. Pistol Petes, Port Washington Fish Day, Jackson Culvers, and MFBA spring cruise. Maybe it will be out for the Madison Classics Waukesh Expo show. :rolleyes:

jon_we4
08-08-2003, 08:54 AM
for people in other area's ....

A-1 Storeall in Mequon on Grafton Rd(i think) (just follow 107th up)

Decent rates and safe area... put a tarp down and cover the car and dont open the door again until it's spring I paid $80 for my space ...its not heated, but it wont kill you :P They do have another place in ceaderburg with electricity and stuff, that might be heated.

My buddy rented some space downtown where 94 turns and goes south... big building saying "storage" all over the place. My dad says its an old Falk building but they have finger print recognition and camara access from the web and the rates were very fair

Unfortunatly this winter the WE4 and GTO will have to stay in the dusty underground parking, not my favorite but for a good price

SLOWC5
08-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Well just remember I have storage available all year, heated and secure, just say the word. I'll get you a spot, I want to say $30 a month. its in that area, so dont come back and say it was $30 when it might be $40, just giving a rough ballpark.

JEFF

Crawlin
08-08-2003, 05:24 PM
I'll definitely contact you when it comes to october if there will be a spot left. Probably want a October through March/April. Thanks for looking into it!

Chris

PB86MCSS
08-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Im also very interested...sent you a PM.

SLOWC5
08-08-2003, 06:28 PM
There will always be spots, this is the first year of advertising, We have roughly 60-80,000 SQ FT. of space:D So trust me I have a spot for every car owned by every owner on BCM ;) Probably not, but I have room

JEFF

lotsals1
08-09-2003, 09:54 AM
the best idea is lease a old body shop or garage
for the winter and 5 or so people go in on it
I'm in now who else;)

rsscoty
09-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Jeff,

You still got storage space available. Kinda interested.
Scoty

SLOWC5
09-30-2003, 07:57 PM
yeah we have all the storage that anyone needs from BCM. we can hold all the cars you can imagine. $30 a month, heated storage. SECURE also, all cars are kept in the middle of the building. and nobody is allowed in the room, only in fall to get the cars in and spring to get them out ;)
LET ME KNOW GUYS!!!

we'll take, boats, jetski's, cars, motorcycles, everything...

JEFF

Al
10-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Would a tarp be a goodidea? I mean just cover it when you park it in your back yard???

A B4C Z
10-01-2003, 01:28 AM
sure if you want your car to be a rust bucket because it cant breath under the cover...or if your not going to use a cover i guess you will get a new paint job come spring time. I hope that was a joke.
:nutkick

Al
10-01-2003, 03:06 PM
My only concern is rust, which I have only found on my muffler. But the paint is another story. I do plan on repainting it some time this winter. At the moment, I am too broke to afford winter storage, but I assumed that as long as the car does not drive on a salted road, there would not be a problem. Seems I could be wrong. Have a better idea? Speaking of moisture under a tarp, what about those tarps that allow moisture through them?

PB86MCSS
10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Storing it outside shouldnt cause any rust really. A tarp traps in moisture but a good car cover lets it evaporate.

If you have to leave it outside I would just leave it open to the elements...snow shouldnt hurt it really, no more hurtful than water. I would put a tarp under the car maybe to help avoid moisture from getting under it.

As long as it doesnt see salt, there shouldnt be much concern for rust.

Al
10-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Thats what I thought would happen.

Thanks for confirming it.

lotsals1
10-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Power
I paid 120K for a garage to keep them in. Oh yeah, it also came with a house;) oh yah you also said that one :lame:

BadAzzGTA89
10-01-2003, 09:15 PM
If need be make a gravel slab to park it on and no cover .As long as it is not on mud/dirt it wont rot cause the gravel will drain well and another would to keep it off the suspention and tires to keep flat spot off the rubber and to keep all the weight off the springs!Or find a garage and do the above there should be an old lady who dont have a car around look out! there is my 2 cents

Yooformula
10-22-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by 2FSTGTP
yeah we have all the storage that anyone needs from BCM. we can hold all the cars you can imagine. $30 a month, heated storage. SECURE also, all cars are kept in the middle of the building. and nobody is allowed in the room, only in fall to get the cars in and spring to get them out ;)
LET ME KNOW GUYS!!!

JEFF

Is this still available? I have a car that needs to be stored very soon. Thanks.:banana

02hawk796
10-22-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by BadAzzGTA89
... another would to keep it off the suspention and tires to keep flat spot off the rubber and to keep all the weight off the springs!

Weight off springs? good idea as long as you want to buy new shocks, and change your suspension settings (if it's performance susp)

PB86MCSS
10-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Or if you like the 4x4 look of a tall suspension ;).

If you have fancy tires or whatnot, you probably want to jack the car off the wheels or better yet, put some blah wheels on it and don't worry about jacking it up at all, its what I've done(using stock wheels/tires)...and even then the tires have no ill effects that I have seen. Just make sure they hold air alright :wow.

BAD LS1
10-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Just put my car away yesterday, i store it in a 28X28 garage non heated but has 4 dehumidfires due to the old man keeping the Yenko in the same garage even knowing its sealed in a damn plastic bubble.

So my bedroom is gonna start looking like a parts ware house pretty soon as i stock pile parts over the winter to put on in spring. I refuse to work on it in the cold again.

Tom B

jbiscuit
10-22-2003, 01:21 PM
I store mine in a snow bank in the back of a business not far from here. I wait till the snow flies and then I park it sideways right into the snowbank after a big left hander donut.:thumbsup

Pepsicola300
10-22-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 2FSTGTP
LET ME KNOW GUYS!!!

JEFF

I am also interested in it. I sent you a pm the other day too.. thanks

SLOWC5
10-22-2003, 10:44 PM
if anyones interested in the storage that we have available

CALL (262)548-6080 Ask For Bob Smith

JEFF

JR HAWK 9
10-23-2003, 01:26 PM
up in Seymour, WI (outside of Green Bay) in a heated commercial warehouse, never sees under 45 degress and only costs $105 for the whole winter for my 16 linear feet of car :D

Paul

DCDZ28
10-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Jeff-
Sent you a PM, I might be interested.

SLOWC5
10-23-2003, 06:23 PM
I replied to all PM's,

Just call the number above and ask for Bob Smith

(262)548-6080

JEFF