View Full Version : Tracked vehicles are soo bad ass

pOrk
06-18-2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGY6MniFUbM&mode=related&search=

especially when they go over 80, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsixJuErVWc

Humvee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExBgdaTTDU&mode=related&search=

And when does a mini van become cool, maybe after you had 2 more wheels and bigger tires?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7Hv9ch-sM&mode=related&search=

PureSound15
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I love tracks! There is the Ford F-250 (I think) thats always at car shows with the tracks on it, back and orange or something like that.

Is it expensive to do?

pOrk
06-18-2007, 05:27 PM
For trucks, the conversion kit goes for something like 80 grand.

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Damn I thought it was only $40k. :wow

PureSound15
06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf Ok, that explains why I've only seen it twice in my life.

pOrk
06-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Damn I thought it was only $40k. :wow

80 grand for the big boy version, the tracks start at like 18 for golf carts / atvs and go up from there.

Mudd Runner
06-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Its not 80k for the matttracks its around 10k i think it could be more or less but i know its not anywhere near 80k cuz i priced them out for my ranger

*EDIT* Correction looks like its about 20 for a set of 4

Cryptic
06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I drove a 4 wheeler that had tracks like those in Aspen, CO.
Between the tracks and the altitude it was a bit doggy, but could go anywhere.

pOrk
06-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Its not 80k for the matttracks its around 10k i think it could be more or less but i know its not anywhere near 80k cuz i priced them out for my ranger

*EDIT* Correction looks like its about 20 for a set of 4

Those are the numbers I came up with searching on google

SmokinRAM114
06-19-2007, 10:04 AM
the 6x6 van there beating the hell out of!!

Flight_740
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
That can't be good for your power steering.

flyin_blue_egg
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
And when does a mini van become cool, maybe after you had 2 more wheels and bigger tires?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7Hv9ch-sM&mode=related&search=

the only thing thats even from the van on the is the body

pOrk
06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
^ Really? I had no idea!

Dur dur durrr

PonyKiller87
06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Anyone know anything more about that Rip-Saw one???

I though I remembered seeing a post about it a few years ago that it runs an LS1 or something?

What I would really like to know is what it uses for a transaxle? If theres one out there that bolts up to a SBC it wouldn't be to tough to make one of those things.

WickedSix
06-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone know anything more about that Rip-Saw one???

I though I remembered seeing a post about it a few years ago that it runs an LS1 or something?

What I would really like to know is what it uses for a transaxle? If theres one out there that bolts up to a SBC it wouldn't be to tough to make one of those things.

That thing is bitchin :thumbsup

I don't believe it runs a transaxle. if you look at the way the engine is mounted I think you can see a transmission and standard axle fitting in the available space. I think the suspension they designed would be the hardest part to replicate. but boy what a fun little go mobile that would be to have round the homested :wow:headbang

PonyKiller87
06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
That thing is bitchin :thumbsup

I don't believe it runs a transaxle. if you look at the way the engine is mounted I think you can see a transmission and standard axle fitting in the available space. I think the suspension they designed would be the hardest part to replicate. but boy what a fun little go mobile that would be to have round the homested :wow:headbang

If you watch the way it turns, you'll see that it is able to lock one side and drive the other, the only way to do that with a regurlar axle would be to have independent brakes on each side and some special kind of Diff that would send the power to the free wheel. I bet the drive setup from an old bobcat would work if with some kind of adapter.

The suspension is actualy pretty easy, you could build it out of a bunch of torsen bar style trailer axles. Most military tanks use a torsen bar type suspension.

WickedSix
06-19-2007, 11:26 PM
If you watch the way it turns, you'll see that it is able to lock one side and drive the other, the only way to do that with a regurlar axle would be to have independent brakes on each side and some special kind of Diff that would send the power to the free wheel. I bet the drive setup from an old bobcat would work if with some kind of adapter.

The suspension is actualy pretty easy, you could build it out of a bunch of torsen bar style trailer axles. Most military tanks use a torsen bar type suspension.

True, I would think they'd set it up like cutting brake on a rock crawler with an open rear differential. I thought the bobcats were hydraulicaly driven? if they are I don't think you could attain that kind of speed with a hydraulic system cus of the limitations on the pump.

Could always knab an el dorado transaxle too :thumbsup

PonyKiller87
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Got any links that show a "cutting brake" setup, I've never heard of that. But if I'm understanding you right it might be as simple as Left and right brake levers with an open diff?

El dorado as in the Caddy? I don't know if that would work.

When I say transaxle I'm thinking of the stuff that I worked on in tanks (M1s, Howitzers, Bradley....) Its one big unit that bolts to the engine and handles the power split left to right, gearing, foward/ rev, and braking. The left and right sprockets that turn the tracks are then connected to it by 2 half shafts.

WickedSix
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
ok cutting brakes are pretty much what you figured heres a link from another board about them http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-38404.html

So far as the trasaxle I was thinking the older el dorado and tornado transmission from the front wheel drive cars with the 500 in engines, three forward and reverse and open diferential. :thumbsup