PDA

View Full Version : North America's fastest production cars...

Flicktitty
06-18-2007, 12:16 AM
:goof anyone else think this list is Bullshlt?

North America's fastest production cars... (http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/fast.htm)

Dodge/Plymouth had the fastest production car for almost 40years? :rolleyes:
i just don't see a 1968 Barracuda going 10.50's at 130MPH on those old biasply tires?

whats your thoughts on that list?

Heat Seeker WS6
06-18-2007, 12:23 AM
http://heroicsalmonleap.members.winisp.net/OhReally.jpg

????
1997 Pontiac Firebird / Hurst LS1 346 V8 350 12.99 103.11 MCR

Brandon W.
06-18-2007, 12:28 AM
that list Sucks..simply put

stowsea
06-18-2007, 12:35 AM
yeah, saturn should be on the top?

Poncho
06-18-2007, 12:52 AM

????

Imagine that too a nonexistant '97, Even better he didn't get the Camaro, nearly a whole second slower
2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 LS1 346 V8 310 13.8 108.5 CD

2005 gto = 13.3@106
pontiac rated @ 12.9@109
real world (me) - 13.0@108

everything varies though...

cool to see that 60's cars did hang with our modern mills but yet we always hear the opposite.

2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 6.1L Hemi V8 425 13.5 106.3 MT

yea... ok.. more like 12.80's-13.0's all day long

Russ Jerome
06-18-2007, 12:54 AM
They list the sources off to the right, Road and Track and Motor Trend.
Every article those mag's put out say *corrected calif or elevation*
blah blah blah..... None of those cars have every recorded 10 second
runs at our track or any other I would bet money. For every fast time
listed there are slower times listed, hey my old Omni on street tires
running 12.0/120 is faster than a 500+hp Lambo Diablo......not!

Al
06-18-2007, 03:01 AM
I wonder if those numbers contain "free mods"?

USMARINE1108
06-18-2007, 06:13 AM
I wonder if those numbers contain "free mods"?

Only if crack is free.

Moparjim
06-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Yes that list is accurate and is the most widely accepted list. Real world, not so much since there is no way to put together a completely fair unbiased list. Tweaking of the cars, car options such as gearing and weight of lux options, driver, track conditions, flat out cheating, etc. make it impossible. We have all seen "stock" cars of every make run amazing times with enough prep or outright cheating. This list tries to be arbitrary by comparing major magazine road test times. Are some models screwed if one of the mags had a poor run of things, absolutely. Did some models have some suspiciously hot results, of course. Many models are flat out skipped if they never had a major mag road test. P.S. those Dodges and Plymouths did run 10s, they were super stock prepped Hurst cars with fiberglass front ends amongst other things. They were available to anyone right from a dealer so they are considered production cars. They still dominate SS/A and/or SS/B I believe.

Moparjim
06-18-2007, 08:03 AM
i just don't see a 1968 Barracuda going 10.50's at 130MPH on those old biasply tires?

whats your thoughts on that list?[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you have a hard time believing it. Theres a reason why Mopar dominated most forms of racing in the musclecar era. Hemi cars won everything in NASCAR until they were effectively banned with a restrictor plate. Richard Petty became the king in a Plymouth. Max Wedge and then hemi cars ruled Super Stock and most other forms of drag racing. Every single Top Fuel dragster and Funny car to this very day are all powered by Chrysler hemi based engines. Salt flats is loaded with hemi powered records.

Also, those Super Stock cars came with slicks lol.

Waver
06-18-2007, 08:34 AM

????

here you go john.....there was a 97 and a 98....

link to the 98
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_Hurst_98lot1.htm

http://www.firebirdgallery.com/4th%20Gen%20Images/98ta27.1.jpg
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/4th%20Gen%20Images/98ta29.1.jpg

link to the 97
http://www.firebirdgallery.com/Edition_Hurst_97lot1.htm

still trying to find the c & d article for it....I may have the actual mag someplace

WickedSix
06-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I hate those voodoo correction factors :fire

Feature Pony
06-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Not sure why you have a hard time believing it. Theres a reason why Mopar dominated most forms of racing in the musclecar era. Hemi cars won everything in NASCAR until they were effectively banned with a restrictor plate. Richard Petty became the king in a Plymouth. Max Wedge and then hemi cars ruled Super Stock and most other forms of drag racing. Every single Top Fuel dragster and Funny car to this very day are all powered by Chrysler hemi based engines. Salt flats is loaded with hemi powered records.

Also, those Super Stock cars came with slicks lol.[/QUOTE]

x2, plus they used a corning windows and had straps to roll the window down or up, these cars were very light and with a 12.5 to 1 comp and they are probably pretty high on north America's biggest purchase list, now days!!!

Silver03SRT
06-18-2007, 10:50 AM
The srt-4 wasnt racing!!! That should be on the top of the list. hahahaha jk.

Flicktitty
06-18-2007, 10:56 AM

Also, those Super Stock cars came with slicks lol.[/QUOTE]

i just couldn't see a big heavy car running into the 10's N/A on the tires they had in the late 60's early 70's. But i geuss if they came with slicks i could see it i geuss. But then it brings me to my next question what did "drag" cars run back in 1968? i coulda swore those were like high 8's low 9's? i could be wrong.

Moparjim
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
The current SS/A record holder is one of those Barracudas with a 8.55 @ 155MPH.

SS/B is a 64 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge car I assume with a 8.99 @ 148MPH.

flyin_blue_egg
06-18-2007, 12:01 PM
just look at all the ** in the list....it says Accurate??Not necessarily**

and then their by things like the HP #'s for 6 cars....

to me this was just thrown together...and plus who's to say they were actually usuing production cars...b/c im sorry i just don't see an 69' stingray going faster then an enzo

Poncho
06-18-2007, 12:37 PM

link to the 98

link to the 97

still trying to find the c & d article for it....I may have the actual mag someplace

there was no LS1 powered '97 f-body. thats the whole joke.

Russ Jerome
06-18-2007, 12:43 PM
The current SS/A record holder is one of those Barracudas with a 8.55 @ 155MPH.

SS/B is a 64 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge car I assume with a 8.99 @ 148MPH.

Whooaaa hold up there, Im a slightly Mopar biased guy but those
cars mentioned have a "few" tweeks allowed by rules:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2243000-2243999/2243530_5.jpg

Were talking about #3500 plus cars ETing under 9 seconds, lets use
the HP calculator to figure that one out :)

Moparjim
06-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Those times are in super stock, in reply to the "what did drag cars run" question. Right out of the box they ran those 10.50s in Musle Car Review. I doubt they weigh that much they had fiberglass front fenders and hood, lightweight Corning glass, lightweight interior with no rear seat, A100 van front seats wih no adjustment, no window mechanisms, no heater, no radio, etc.

I think those Firebirds they list were some type of LS1 "factory" tuner cars by SLP, Hurst, or whoever much like old Yenko or Baldwin Motion cars.

The 69 Vette is not a "normal" Vette either, some type of special order. That list considers anything you could buy at a dealer a production car no matter how limited the production.

Brandon W.
06-18-2007, 01:11 PM
i still find it hard to believe that the boats made back in the 60's were pulling off, mid 10 1/4's..granted if half the damn car is fiberglass then its possible. As far as im concerned a special ordered car is not production. a production car in my mind is a car that is MASS produced, the kind of car they have 20 or of on the lot. not a 1 out of 100 limited or special production model.

Teufelhunden
06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
February 20, 1968
To: All Plymouth Dealers
Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock

The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in supervised acceleration trials. These cars will weigh approximately 3,000 pounds and have been designed to meet the 1968 specifications of the major sanctioning drag strip organizations.

The Hemi-Powered Barracudas will be available through production in limited quantities in March. To order this vehicle, use the Barracuda Order Form and specify Body Code BO29 and Transmission Code, either 4 Speed Manual, Code 393, or Automatic, Code 395. No other specifications are necessary.

Description of Components
-426 cu. in. 8-cylinder engine with dual 4-barrel carburetors-12.5 to 1 compression ratio.
-Cross Ram Intake manifold.
-1 11/16" x 1 11/16" Holley carburetors.
-Competition Hooker headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers.
-High capacity oil pump.
-Roller timing chain (reduced timing chain stretch for more consistent engine performance).
-Mechanical valve gear.
-Dual breaker distributor.
-Transistor ignition.
-Metal core type ignition wires.
-Unsilenced air cleaners.
-Deep groove fan drive pulleys.
-Heavy duty radiator.
-Aluminum seven-blade fan equipped with Viscous drive.
-Special offset 15" rear wheels.
-Chrysler-built 8 3/4" large stem pinion gear set, and heavy-duty axle shafts with automatic transmission (4.86 axle ratio).
-Dana-built 9 3/4" heavy-duty axle with manual transmission (4.88 axle ratio).
-Sure-Grip differential.
-135 Amp. Hr. battery (located in rear compartment).
-Heavy-duty high control rear suspension.
-Front disc brakes 41/2" Bolt Circle.
-Fiberglass front fenders.
-Fiberglass hood with scoop.
-Light weight steel doors.
-Light weight front bumper.
-Light weight side window glass.
-High capacity fuel lines.
-Business coupe interior (2 bucket seats - no rear seat).

For Manual Transmission Only
-Special heavy-duty 10 1/2" clutch and flywheel.
-Safety steel clutch housing.
-Competition "Slick Shift" 4-speed transmission.
-Hurst remote mounted floor-shift unit with reverse lockout.

For Automatic Transmission Only
-High stall speed torque converter (large drive lugs and 7/16" diameter attaching screws).
-Heavy-duty manual shift TorqueFlite transmission.
-Hurst floor-mounted shift unit.

Please Note:

The following items are deleted on this body type:
-Heater, Body Sealer and Sound Deadeners, Silence Pads, Outside Mirrors, Right Side Seat Belt and Body Color Paint.

Moparjim
06-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah I forgot the best part - they were delivered in primer lol. I think the front fiberglass parts were black gelcoat primer, the back half was white or grey!

FYI most "Boats" of the 60s were not all that heavy and in many cases lighter than todays cars. No emissions garbage, no wiring electronics power accessories - most new cars have several hundred lbs of copper wiring in them, no sound deadener, no safety stuff added for crash testing lol. In 1973 for example they added side impact bars into the doorsof the Challenger. Those bars alone weighed 30plus lbs each. A new hemi Charger can weigh over 4000 lbs, several hundred lbs heavier than an old big block one.

Russ Jerome
06-18-2007, 01:45 PM
-426 cu. in. 8-cylinder engine with dual 4-barrel carburetors-12.5 to 1 compression ratio.
-High capacity oil pump.
-Roller timing chain (reduced timing chain stretch for more consistent engine performance).
-Mechanical valve gear.
-Transistor ignition.
-Heavy duty radiator.
-Chrysler-built 8 3/4" large stem pinion gear set, and heavy-duty axle shafts with automatic transmission (4.86 axle ratio).
-Sure-Grip differential.

That is one bad @$$ ride right there, I dont care who you are!
Perfect description of "the good old days".

Heat Seeker WS6
06-18-2007, 07:20 PM

link to the 98

link to the 97

Nick thats cool you found those 2 cars because I saw both on the '98 Power Tour in Chicago and also Mt Clemens, MI parked side by side!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:headbang
Here's a few as not to hijack this thread

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?p=288686#post288686

The error is that the '97 was still an LT1.

Brandon W.
06-18-2007, 11:56 PM
im gonna send an E-mail to the guys at Mitsubishi, and am gonna convince them to make 100 7-sec evo's. as a "package" so they can have the fastest "production" car ever made

Poncho
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
im gonna send an E-mail to the guys at Mitsubishi, and am gonna convince them to make 100 7-sec evo's. as a "package" so they can have the fastest "production" car ever made

you gonna buy one and break it after 100 miles? :rolf

flackjacket
06-19-2007, 12:01 AM
i drove a wo23 super stock coronet (Grand Spalding Dodge) when I worked at Aloha. I don't have any trouble believing 10.5's at all. They are violently loud and have gobs of power.

Heat Seeker WS6
06-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Better have them order 400 jackstands to go with! :goof

Brandon W.
06-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Better have them order 400 jackstands to go with! :goof

bwahahaah!!!....+1 for that.. how ya been john? have not talked to ya in a while.

Brandon W.
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
you gonna buy one and break it after 100 miles? :rolf

to be honest, i think my next car wont be a DSM..id liek to find a Subaru Wagon with the 2.5 and make that fast.. would be neat IMHO.:headbang:headbang

Heat Seeker WS6
06-19-2007, 12:06 AM
bwahahaah!!!....+1 for that.. how ya been john? have not talked to ya in a while.

Ya its been a lil bit but doing alright. Cars down still so you only get 396 jackstands! :rolf

GTSLOW
06-19-2007, 12:09 AM
February 20, 1968
To: All Plymouth Dealers
Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock

The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in supervised acceleration trials. These cars will weigh approximately 3,000 pounds and have been designed to meet the 1968 specifications of the major sanctioning drag strip organizations.

The Hemi-Powered Barracudas will be available through production in limited quantities in March. To order this vehicle, use the Barracuda Order Form and specify Body Code BO29 and Transmission Code, either 4 Speed Manual, Code 393, or Automatic, Code 395. No other specifications are necessary.

-High capacity oil pump.
-Mechanical valve gear.
-Transistor ignition.
-Heavy duty radiator.
-Sure-Grip differential.

For Manual Transmission Only
-Special heavy-duty 10 1/2" clutch and flywheel.
-Safety steel clutch housing.
-Competition "Slick Shift" 4-speed transmission.
-Hurst remote mounted floor-shift unit with reverse lockout.

For Automatic Transmission Only
-High stall speed torque converter (large drive lugs and 7/16" diameter attaching screws).
-Heavy-duty manual shift TorqueFlite transmission.
-Hurst floor-mounted shift unit.

Please Note:

The following items are deleted on this body type:
-Heater, Body Sealer and Sound Deadeners, Silence Pads, Outside Mirrors, Right Side Seat Belt and Body Color Paint.

Got a pic???

Teufelhunden
06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Got a pic???
http://www.conemangler.com/lamb%20001r.JPG

http://www.prostockhemi.com/articles/images/0012_10.jpg
"In 1968 Sox received one of the first of the Hurst-assembled '68 Hemi Cudas, arguably the most famous "package" race car in the history of motorsports. That car won everything in sight in 1968, in NHRA and AHRA, and is still is one of the most famous race cars in drag racing history."

Moparjim
06-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Not sure where a 7 second EVO is going to come from, the fastest one I could find was an AMS modifed one that ran 9.48, 808RWHP. A far cry from the fastest Chrysler hemis in Top Fuel running 4.4 at 335 making 7000HP.

Teufelhunden
06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
The AMS Evo just went 8.75 @ 166mph (no nitrous) in testing BTW. That would be neat if they made a numbered production of 100 or so. Out of the box race car, no warranty.

Prince Valiant
06-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I always thought the neatest thing about the super-stock plymouth/dodges were the fact that the headers were delivered in the trunk of the car to make it "stock"

Those cars, even with the big block are probably safely under 3000lbs with all the weight saving goodies in those things. Heck, my 72 duster with none of that and a small v8 would probably only be about 3200lbs.

Most of the mid-size (large by our standards) were around 3600-4000lbs depending on options....

Another cool thing about the car was a "not recommended for hwy use" sticker on them

Moparjim
06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
That's a seriously impressive EVO, especially if it's still AWD and not completely stripped. Got a link to any more info?

Teufelhunden
06-20-2007, 07:56 AM
^^I links that I know of.

Brandon W.
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
here is a Video of John Shep's still AWD talon running a high 7 sec. DSM POWER:headbang:headbang:headbang

we can have him make 100 of these cars for Mitsu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNzbcEXudE