PDA

View Full Version : help pouring concrete

88Nightmare
06-17-2007, 07:56 PM
looking to build a shed in my backyard, need someone who can assist me with pouring a concrete slab. im gonna rent a mixer. anyone have any tips or anyone willing to stop by and lend a hand?

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
06-17-2007, 07:58 PM
I'll stop by and supervise while drinking a cold one.:)

Breecher_7
06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Find someone that really knows how to do this. If you dont prep the foundation right, it will sink/tilt. I myself am looking for concrete help for the new house.

Memphis
06-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I need some help too...my "slab" is gonna be about 1,000 square feet...think that mixer'll cut it??:goof

Reverend Cooper
06-17-2007, 08:13 PM
my friend pat does concrete he brings a truck and all he is doing our whole driveway in july,and has already done the sidewalk on the side of the garage and a slab in the backyard,he does great work and its affordable. he is doing our whole driveway and sidewalk by the apron for 2700.00 with tearout removal and intstall. he is the only guy i would let do this he brings a few people with him for the job it goes quick and looks great

Holeshot
06-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Always willing to help. Need good stone bed for proper drainage, rebar or mesh a few good edging tool and a strike off board thats 4 foot longer than the pore area. Don't forget felt if your butting up to a building. take LX W X H and divide by 27 for total yardage needed. What slump mix are you using ?

WickedSix
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Well few things to consider

1. Type of concrete
a. fiber reinforced - requires little or no additional internal support
b. non-reinforced - requires use of internal metal structure for additional
support

it depends on how much weight you are really going to put into the shed

2. Soil your going to pour on

loose soil spells trouble for concrete. if the load ins't going to be humungous you will likely be able to use aggregrate as a base prior to pouring the concrete.

3. How to pour

if your new to it, yer gonna make mistake....how to pour where to pour how to mix etc.

but if you aren't going to use it as a showpiece and it is just the floor of a shed doubt you are going to care if you put a few oops marks into the finish.

Depending on how big and area you are going to pour dictates how you frame it and if you need to cut expansion joints into it.

Main thing when pouring....no voids....an air bubble is a major flaw so when pouring in batches overlap as you pour. work from one corner to another and then down the form evenly to the other corners. Think of it like welding, you overlap as you add filler.

And a big aid to cleanup, get yourself a bar of soap, and coat everything that might get concrete on it that you don't want concrete to stick to. It will let you knock the concrete off afterwards.:thumbsup

CATNHAT
06-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Call Mike Oneil, Oneil Concrete. 414-791-6317. He Does All Of Our Flatwork. Single Family, 2 Fam, 4's 6's 8's 16's 24's 36'2 50's And 120 Units. Underground Parking And Structural Topping On Precast.

He Does My Spec Homes As Well And Did My Home. Feisty Bastard But His Guys Do A Good Job. Job Like That, Call In The Pros, In And Out In 1 Day, Jumping Jacks, Saws, Bobcats, Etc. Tell Him Icon Construction Referred You.

Save Your Back, Let Him Brake His!

88Nightmare
06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
I appreciate some of the answers I've gotten. I really want to do this myself with some help, don't want to hire someone. Can't really afford to hire someone, and I think doing it myself will gain some valuable experience, and Im sure ill make mistakes, and hopefully I can learn from them and not do it next time.

Dan (holeshot), you seem to know what you're talkin about. Care to assist with this concrete pouring project sometime within the next month or so?

Project info: It will be ontop of soil, but I don't consider it extremely loose, I have to remove some grass where its going, and I imagined I would be adding gravel or something, possibly steel mesh. Slab size I want is: 8ft x 10ft x 4" thick.

Another update: I was looking at 4,000psi quickcrete at home depot. I dont know too much about concrete though, dont know too much a bout the differences in them.

PonyKiller87
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
my friend pat does concrete he brings a truck and all he is doing our whole driveway in july,and has already done the sidewalk on the side of the garage and a slab in the backyard,he does great work and its affordable. he is doing our whole driveway and sidewalk by the apron for 2700.00 with tearout removal and intstall. he is the only guy i would let do this he brings a few people with him for the job it goes quick and looks great

Hmm, I wonder if your talking about my Dad, he does concrete work on the side and I think it was last year he did a sidewalk / rear patio.

If anyone is interested he does concrete work and all kinds of other construction stuff at reasonable prices. Hes got a small tractor with a loader, back hoe, huge roto tiller, box scraper.... If anyone needs something shoot me a PM and I can get you his info.

Reverend Cooper
06-18-2007, 07:36 PM
doubt its your dad his last name is pischke he is from my side of the universe

Lash
06-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Hire somebody if you don't know what your doing. It'll turn out better and save you wasted time in the future. One of the main things is be sure to get rid of ALL the top soil (keep digging til you hit clay) where you are going to pour and depending the kind of weight you're going to be putting on it use a good 4-6" of gravel with some traffic bond.

BadAzzGTA89
06-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I used to do concrete it sucks in the heat of the summer so hire someone:goof