PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Mustang owner needs advice!

Rhiannon
06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
OK guys, I know there used to be a Mustang forum on here, I think.... Anyway, I have a 1987 Mustang GT. I want to take out the 302 that is in there and replace it with a 351 Carb. Here's the thing.... my body frame needs a lot of help. (I don't think it would support it.) I could do the welding that it needs, but I think it would just be better for me to find another frame that is in better shape. I thought about taking an LX and doing the deed, but I really need the car to be manual, not automatic. I feel like I'm ripping my hair out because I just looked at an 86 yesterday. Wrong body. Damn it! LOL Any suggestions on where I could find a fox body 87-93 (I think), that I could just swap parts on? :puppyeyes

Reverend Cooper
06-17-2007, 04:10 PM
someone had a rolling chassis on here for sale a little while ago,might have been twirkin50 not sure check out classifieds

BOSS LX
06-17-2007, 04:13 PM
The 86 will work. For the most part the 86 is the same car, only cooler.:thumbsup
If you have any ?'s, let me know.

Rhiannon
06-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I didn't really dig the headlights and body. All I kept thinking of was Back to the Future and the Delorean. Ha ha. I'll check the classifieds. I checked Craigslist too and I am willing to travel a bit to get this project started. :) Thanks for the quick responses so far.

badass88gt
06-17-2007, 05:42 PM
How bad is the frame on the 87? Where is the damage? Mine was pretty bad but I fixed it all, it was under the hood, rotted on the strut towers.

pickardracing
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
You couldve easily bolted on your 87 parts to the 86 body. No difference in the actual chassis.

You may want to keep an eye on 4 cylinder cars, theyre usually cleaner and unmolested for the most part, and since you're going to a carbed setup (gag) you don't have to be picky in what you take.

Rhiannon
06-18-2007, 12:36 AM
The rotting is on the floor boards and the left side got hit in an accident and is a little bent. I might just have to get some help from you since you've done it before. LOL

Brandon W.
06-18-2007, 12:55 AM
The rotting is on the floor boards and the left side got hit in an accident and is a little bent. I might just have to get some help from you since you've done it before. LOL

you can get replacement floor boards. they have them out there for any application now-a-days. there just a simple cut out and weld it deal. as far as your cruched in side.. new Body panels? or somebody who can remove most of the dent and fill the rest in via body filler and shoot it.

badass88gt
06-18-2007, 02:12 AM
50resto.com may be your best friend...

Waver
06-18-2007, 06:46 AM
50resto.com may be your best friend...
them and year one and cjponyparts....

there are other mustang websites in the area that you can go on to get a good fox, like stangnet, heck you can find some good ones cheep on autotraider.com....I know of a good body shop that can do the work for you if you are already going to have the engine out.

pickardracing
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
If you could post pics it would be very easy to tell you the way to go about fixing it.

Nix
06-18-2007, 12:24 PM
If you could post pics it would be very easy to tell you the way to go about fixing it.

Word, get some pics of the "damage" and we can go from there.:thumbsup

Rhiannon
06-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I will work on that for you guys. The bend is right above the driver's side front tire. The previous owner was being sneaky and didn't let me know before I purchased it. The body panel was already replaced. I noticed the bend while I was giving the car an oil change. So far, I have had to replace the starter, starter solinoid, water pump, and fuel filter. I already got some LX doors, another sunroof, and an LX front bumper. I want to strip him of the GT body kit and make it look like an LX with the exception of the 3 inch cowel hood I want to put on. I think it's going to be a lot of work concidering the fact that I work all the damn time. Ha ha. I am going to check out those websites because I need new seats and some interior crap too. When I bought it, I just basically ripped everything out that was damaged. Looks pretty beat up but quick. :)

Rhiannon
06-18-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey, that cjponyparts place is right near where I grew up in PA. My parents live right out there. How crazy!

Yooformula
06-18-2007, 01:20 PM
shouldnt you be at work Rhi?

Rhiannon
06-18-2007, 02:11 PM
:wtf Ummm, I am the closing manager Sunday and Monday nights. Hey, aren't you at work checking this? SLACKER!

juicedimpss
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
im not sure if you are looking for a vert,but this seems like a decent deal.
http://www.rsdforums.net/vb/showthread.php?p=3516#post3516

Rhiannon
06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
So, check out this bullshit! My starter went to shit, no biggie. I replaced it and the solinoid was replaced in March. Worked like a charm. A week later, my car was having issues starting again and I noticed the solinoid was cracked. I took the ***** out and replaced it with a new one. Two days later, my starter just simply kept running. I disconnected the battery once the car was off and it stopped. (Duh!) Anyway, I started the car again and it did the same shit. This time when I disconnected the battery again and put it back on, the starter started running again. I got pissed, had to be somewhere fast and just drove with it like that. Of course after like five minutes it stopped and I couldn't start my car because the starter was dead. I popped the clutch to start it to get it back to the house. Do you think maybe I had a faulty solinoid? I now have to replace the starter again. Any advice on how to avoid this again?

HITMAN
06-29-2007, 05:51 PM
So, check out this bullshit! My starter went to shit, no biggie. I replaced it and the solinoid was replaced in March. Worked like a charm. A week later, my car was having issues starting again and I noticed the solinoid was cracked. I took the ***** out and replaced it with a new one. Two days later, my starter just simply kept running. I disconnected the battery once the car was off and it stopped. (Duh!) Anyway, I started the car again and it did the same shit. This time when I disconnected the battery again and put it back on, the starter started running again. I got pissed, had to be somewhere fast and just drove with it like that. Of course after like five minutes it stopped and I couldn't start my car because the starter was dead. I popped the clutch to start it to get it back to the house. Do you think maybe I had a faulty solinoid? I now have to replace the starter again. Any advice on how to avoid this again?

Sell it and buy a Chevy...http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies/LS1Tech/gr_tongue.gif