PDA

View Full Version : Four Dead After Drag Racing Car Hits Crowd of Bystanders in Tennessee.

DynoTom
06-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Sad story here....

SELMER, Tenn. — A drag-racing vehicle lost control during a parade and spun into a crowd of bystanders, killing four adults and injuring up to 15 people, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,283433,00.html

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e93/DynoTom/3_61_061707_car_show_deaths.jpg

Al
06-17-2007, 03:24 AM
This is a tragic event, but I am not surprised that it did not happen sooner.

The Hoosiers hooked and that was the end of it.

I've been to the Cedarburg parade a few times and the Rods n' Relics club will lay down a few 11s on the main drag. A part of me wants to be able to do that, but I have literally questioned the likelyhood of this happening.

Car Guy
06-17-2007, 06:38 AM
That sucks, I just hope they weren't being stupid about it and that it was a true accident.....

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Horrible tragedy.
Car like that had no business burning the tyres in this setting. The 4th of July parade here those kind of cars are towed by 4 wheelers and once in a while they start the engine and rev em up.

DynoTom
06-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Update: Three more people have died, raising the death toll to seven, after dragster hits crowd at Selmer car show

Check out the vid clips.....

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6668755

awsomeears
06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
As we all know its easy to say " WTF were you doing " and most of the time its calling the Kettle Black !!!!!!!!!! because we all **** around at times.

But this is bullshit !!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch that video for anyone that reads this thread.

Easy 100mph burnout then the tiers hooked or so it seems.

What wrong about getting a 10" tire car in there doing a ******* burnout ?

Very sad stuff and I hope wounds, death and the mental state of everyone gets better.

I'm sure this is or may not be a normal thing for this specific car show. Either witch way Rest In Peace.

DoubleAron
06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
This is my reply that I posted on another site.

Wow that has to be one of the stupidest hillbilly backwoods stunts I have ever seen. Why don't they have people standing out in the street trying to dodge the cars as they come by, that might have been safer. :rolleyes:
As safety crazy as this country is now I can't believe stuff like that still goes on. Wow this just blows my mind.

Crawlin
06-17-2007, 02:40 PM
if you watch the "part 2" video, you can hear/see a mom crying like she just lost her baby. that's SO heartbreaking and sad. stupid ******* stunt. can't believe they alowed that to happen. AND you know the lawsuits will be flying now. and it'll be an easy judgement against that guy and the peope that put on the parade. i bet you that parade does not happen any longer.

Nickerz
06-17-2007, 06:24 PM
You know, I've got no problem with people doing burnouts at parades. But honestly, who the **** thought it was a good idea to do a 100ft 70mph burnout with giant Hoosier slicks with people on all sides? Save that shit for the Honda street racers.

WickedSix
06-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Any way you look at it, it is a tradgedy. Meaning folks died that didn't need to. I can only imagine the horror the driver feels for what has happened.

Teufelhunden
06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d8a_1182084711

lasttimearound
06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
from what i remember hearing about this show, it was the one the crazy hill billy does for the kids... hes been on horsepower tv a couple times. that is an 8th mile track i guess. i could be wrong, but that what i seem to remember about that show

Korndogg
06-17-2007, 10:52 PM
wtf, the guy didnt even let off once he started fish tailing...

70challenger
06-17-2007, 11:07 PM
that really sucks, what a tradgedy!! i know troy crichley is one of the bigger names on the pro mod circuit and hes a pretty good driver on the track, but not this time i guess.

BOSS LX
06-17-2007, 11:19 PM
This is my reply that I posted on another site.

Wow that has to be one of the stupidest hillbilly backwoods stunts I have ever seen. Why don't they have people standing out in the street trying to dodge the cars as they come by, that might have been safer. :rolleyes:
As safety crazy as this country is now I can't believe stuff like that still goes on. Wow this just blows my mind.

Well said!

What a dumbass!!!!!!!

Crawlin
06-18-2007, 09:00 AM
wtf, the guy didnt even let off once he started fish tailing...

yes he did. but still doesn't matter. that deepening tone right after he passes the camera is when he let off.

Waver
06-18-2007, 09:20 AM
This is a tragic incident. Unfortunatly, like any event where burnouts/racing takes place, this kind of things will happen....Should the promoters have taken the precautions to prevent it? Should this have even happend? Did the spectators not know that there was a possibility of this happening? There are a lot of should of, would of, could ofs that someone could say about this, however, what everyone has to remember here is that this was a freak accident, and when you are around vehicles of that power level, you have to take every precaution you can to attempt to prevent it, because somthing like this is bound to and will happen.

Car Guy
06-18-2007, 09:39 AM
This is a tragic incident. Unfortunatly, like any event where burnouts/racing takes place, this kind of things will happen....Should the promoters have taken the precautions to prevent it? Should this have even happend? Did the spectators not know that there was a possibility of this happening? There are a lot of should of, would of, could ofs that someone could say about this, however, what everyone has to remember here is that this was a freak accident, and when you are around vehicles of that power level, you have to take every precaution you can to attempt to prevent it, because somthing like this is bound to and will happen.

Or not do a 70mph-100ft rolling burnout with a Pro-Mod making 1500+ HP with no gaurdrails on a city street filled with innocent people, most of which have no idea what a car like that can do. I understand where you're coming from but what he did should have never been attempted...!!!

And what happened is an example why, end of story......

Waver
06-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Or not do a 70mph-100ft rolling burnout with a Pro-Mod making 1500+ HP with no gaurdrails on a city street filled with innocent people, most of which have no idea what a car like that can do. I understand where you're coming from but what he did should have never been attempted...!!!

And what happened is an example why, end of story......

:3gears::3gears::3gears:Then again, he wasnt the only one doing it, as stated in the article....and this show has been going on for years, and people have been doing burnouts for years....Yea, I agree he should of gotten out of it sooner, however he didnt, and now he has to deal with the 7 deaths because of this for the rest of his life, however he cant take the soul blame for this

wheelsofsteel
06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Or not do a 70mph-100ft rolling burnout with a Pro-Mod making 1500+ HP

Probably want to add about 1000+hp to your estimation.

DynoTom
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Same thing I was thinking.....:):)

Car Guy
06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Then again, he wasnt the only one doing it, as stated in the article....and this show has been going on for years, and people have been doing burnouts for years....Yea, I agree he should of gotten out of it sooner, however he didnt, and now he has to deal with the 7 deaths because of this for the rest of his life, however he cant take the soul blame for this

Well he himself does, because he's the one who crashed into the crowd and not everyone else who was also doing it. Just like the saying goes "If you are with a group of friends and they're all jumping off a cliff would you do it too just because they are...???"

Look at it this way.....NOBODY should have been doing that kind of crap to begin with, but that doesn't take any amount of responsibility away from him.....

My father has been saying this for years, "Everyone's OK with something until somebody gets hurt", or killed in this case. How true it is.....

I was taking the safer road of estimating, I figured it'd be more.....

Feature Pony
06-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Then again, he wasnt the only one doing it, as stated in the article....and this show has been going on for years, and people have been doing burnouts for years....Yea, I agree he should of gotten out of it sooner, however he didnt, and now he has to deal with the 7 deaths because of this for the rest of his life, however he cant take the soul blame for this

its crazy on how people act, and how many people want to see burn outs or cars "peel out". Not saying that these people were egging him on to do this burn out, but at other events where people are even closers to cars than that egging people on and calling them every name in the book because they didn't "light them up". This looks like it was an accident, but all I can say is you yourself must be careful, look at where your at, if your at a prade and you see cars smoking the tires you yourself can leave or go to a safe place and watch. I might be harsh but anybody can still get killed walking in a cross walk on any street.

Car Guy
06-18-2007, 04:28 PM
its crazy on how people act, and how many people want to see burn outs or cars "peel out". Not saying that these people were egging him on to do this burn out, but at other events where people are even closers to cars than that egging people on and calling them every name in the book because they didn't "light them up". This looks like it was an accident, but all I can say is you yourself must be careful, look at where your at, if your at a prade and you see cars smoking the tires you yourself can leave or go to a safe place and watch. I might be harsh but anybody can still get killed walking in a cross walk on any street.

I agree but what that guy did was NOT just a little burn out, look at how fast he was going when he lost it...!!! What he did was what you do at the track to get the tires warmed up before you lay down a 6-second pass @ 200+ MPH. The more I watch the video the more and more I can't believe what he did, wayyyyy out of line.....

And I've been in that position many times, not with a Pro-Mod but with my 72' Chevelle which is all of an sub 11-sec car [when set-up right]. People get caught up in the moment and want to see some action, but 9 times out of 10 I'll just smile/wave and continue on or rev it up in nuetral (people usually like that better than a burnout).....

As the driver of that car he should know what can happen if something goes wrong. The crowd on the other hand is for the most part clueless as to the power/speed that a car like that has......

Korndogg
06-18-2007, 04:30 PM
yes he did. but still doesn't matter. that deepening tone right after he passes the camera is when he let off.

yeah I only watched the vid once. Second time I watched it I noticed he did.

pOrk
06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
So its okay to do it in a 2500 hp car because everyone else is doing it? riiiiight

Windsors 03 Cobra
06-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I just saw the video of it today, he had to be going 100mph. I expect him to be charged with manslaughter. And the on the side of the promoters truck it says "cars for kids-southern style" not that theres anything wrong with the south :)
Driver was australian, horrible horrible horrible.

Cryptic
06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
driver should of known better regardless of the the special event. He should of declined to do it with people not at a safe distance.
Horrrible and un-nessesary.

u_say_go
06-19-2007, 09:35 PM
there is no way in hell I could live with the guilt of killing 6 people because I did something so stupid....something like that happens, time to check out!

DynoTom
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Here we go !

I'm SURE there will be more.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/carshow.deaths.ap/index.html