PDA

View Full Version : Why Ethanol? Long Vid...

Al
06-13-2007, 11:54 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-570288889128950913&q=biodiesel+algae+duration%3Along&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

This video is about 1 hour long and it covers the concept of an ethanol conversion in the US market.

I know a few people here do not like ethanol, but if you consider all of the benefits of using ethanol and gasoline to gasoline alone, it makes sense.

I really hate big oil lately.

GRM-REPR
06-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I did a research paper on this 2 semesters ago, and a presentaion on the same topic last semsester, it's a joke.

C.R tested an 06' Burban, it suffered miserably when run on Ethanol.

Big topic. Personally, I don't want to spend $4.00 for an ear of corn.

Al
06-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I was a bit concerned about the ethanol subsidy going to big oil.

If the price of wheat was to double due to ethanol, your cost for a loaf of bread would only increase by 10 to 20 cents. The higher price at the market is not directly proportional to the price of raw materials. There are bigger factors there such as shareholders and healthcare.

The other thing that concerns me is that you can use ethanol to make ethanol. Do this, and you do not have to worry about burning fossil fuels.

My real hope is in algae biodiesel.

Karps TA
06-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I know in my Monte running "flex fuel" I go from 21/31 mpg on gas to 16/24 mpg. So it's definetly not a cost savings.

My fear is that the ethanol craze will pretty much make everything else more expensive. Beef/Milk/Chicken, etc...

Oil isn't the problem anyways, it's getting it refined. And lately most of our price surges has actually been due to ethanol and it's short supply. And since no community wants a refinery in their backyard we're always going to have issues regardless of what fuel we end up using.

The govt should go ahead and take one of the many closed military bases, build themselves a refinery or 2. Use that for producing military fuel, and fuel for airlines (since the govt is always bailing them out anyways, why not give them discounted fuel). That leaves the big oil refineries to concentrate on supplying the consumers.

GRM-REPR
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
I know in my Monte running "flex fuel" I go from 21/31 mpg on gas to 16/24 mpg. So it's definetly not a cost savings.

My fear is that the ethanol craze will pretty much make everything else more expensive. Beef/Milk/Chicken, etc...

Oil isn't the problem anyways, it's getting it refined. And lately most of our price surges has actually been due to ethanol and it's short supply. And since no community wants a refinery in their backyard we're always going to have issues regardless of what fuel we end up using.

The govt should go ahead and take one of the many closed military bases, build themselves a refinery or 2. Use that for producing military fuel, and fuel for airlines (since the govt is always bailing them out anyways, why not give them discounted fuel). That leaves the big oil refineries to concentrate on supplying the consumers.

Sadly tho, there are many Ethanol producing refineries slated to be opened in America soon.

E-85 is a about as bad idea as Hydrogen.

Sugar is also a key factor in the production of Ethanol.

Our prices ARE shitty around here because we HAVE Ethanol mixed into our gas. Huh, strange how other parts of the country don't use that trash, and I don't hear about any OZONE holes opening up anywhere else.

As I stated in my research paper: This is the best American engineers can come up with? It's about 50 years late in coming to some sort of new "fuel", whether it be electric, or water driven.

If backyard yokels can make there Bronco's run on cooking grease, please tell me why the eggheads can't make a vehicle run on something other than a fossil fuel. The idea of internal combustion is severely outdated.

Good topic, Al

Buster
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
The reason I like it:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvburress/turbo/e85.htm
http://www.proformparts.com/newscontent.php?migi_news_id=413&company_id=100719 :headbang