PDA

View Full Version : Scary experience!!!

Scales
06-13-2007, 12:44 AM
So I decided to FINALLY replace the wheel bearings on my Camaro hoping I might actually be able to drive it this year. The driver side was pretty bad. (came apart in pieces) but I got it all swapped out. Inner and outer. I take a short smoke break and move over to the passenger side. I jack the car up enough to check the slop in the bearings. So mind you, my hands are at 12:00 and 6:00. Bearings don't seem too bad, but I already bought the new ones, so I continue on. I no sooner get my hand out from under the tire when WHAMM!!! Car falls to the ground. I have very little clearance between my exhaust and the frame rail so I was already close to the edge. I guess I shook it just enough to slide er off. So now that I have poop in my pants, I decide to crawl under and survey the damage. I got lucky (on both accounts)!! All it did was bend a bracket pushing my ground effects out about 1/4". But I am still able to type this message with all my fingers, so I'll take that any day of the week!! Leason learned.... Don't be in such a hurry that safety takes a back seat!!!

Car Guy
06-13-2007, 12:51 AM
:alcoholic:alcoholic:alcoholic...???

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Scales
06-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Not a drop! All I had was an energy drink. But You bet your ass I'm havin a couple now!!

DirtyMax
06-13-2007, 01:02 AM
Glad to hear everything ended up alright. Car parts can be replaced, but it would be no fun only being able to count to 5 on your upper appendages for the rest of your life!

I had stuff like this happen before. Now I live by the jackstand!!

Scales
06-13-2007, 01:08 AM
I hear ya! I cleaned everything up and called it quits until I can make it to the store to buy some stands.

Car Guy
06-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I was just given you some sh*t, good to see you're OK.....:thumbsup

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Scales
06-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Not a problem. Funny you brought it up though. I did buy a 6er to keep me company in the garage, but like I was telling Max93 on the phone before I started, I decided not to have any cuz I didn't wanna make any stupid mistakes. :durr

u_say_go
06-13-2007, 11:52 AM
holy schit Mike, you lucked out! If the car is driveable, wait till next week and we'll take it to my cousin's house in Greenfield, he has a lift.
Glad to hear you didnt lose the use of your girlfriends! :rolf

Max 93
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Glad to hear you didnt lose the use of your girlfriends! :rolf

:rolf:rolf:rolf glad your alright

hrsp
06-13-2007, 10:53 PM
thats some scary shiit there...

Al
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
I know how scary that can be. I know that kind of fear.

I once had my car drop about 1/4 inch while I was partially under it. I turned out that the jack stand was slightly out-of-center at the lift point. It only took a light shimmy to make the pinch weld move to the center of the jack.

Having a car fall is one of my biggest phobias. I think about it EVERY time I go under my car. I usually place a cinder block under the car in some place where I know it will keep my car from squishing me if it falls on me. The jack comes too with the handle twisted to the right, so it is ready to pump in an emergency. Not only those, I keep only one item with me other than tools: my cell phone.

Someone here got stuck under a car and phoned for help? His story goes that the rear driveshaft was disconnected and the rear was not chucked so the car rolled back and pinned his legs.

Yooformula
06-14-2007, 12:29 AM
damm glad you are ok. Chris can attest to how superstitious I am about jack stands. I must spend more time getting the car in the air than actually working under it.

Brandon W.
06-14-2007, 12:34 AM
ive had this similar thing happen to me as well. as i was crawling out from under the car. it came off the passenger side jackstand. if i wouldn't of forgotten the 12mm wrench i would of been in a bad place.face meet oil pan. glad to see your all right.:thumbsup

Knyghtmare
06-14-2007, 12:40 AM
hoping I might actually be able to drive it this year.

I definatly know the feeling... :crying

You are a lucky SOB. Mike! :wooo

Scales
06-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks guys! I know I got EXTREMELY lucky! And It will prolly be a little while before I attempt to jack it back up and finish the job. I think I was probably shaking for at least 2 hours afterwards...

Slow Joe
06-14-2007, 08:53 AM
If ya need a set of jackstands, I have a spare set I'd be willing to part with. They aren't old, I just don't have room for 3 sets anymore... :rolf

boostaddict14
06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
wow glad your alright.

I have friends that do clutchs with just a jack underneath I call them crazy

Brandon W.
06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
wow glad your alright.

I have friends that do clutchs with just a jack underneath I call them crazy

crazy..thats just stupid.