PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Apartments

xxsn0blindxx
06-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Does anybody know of any available or know of any good websites to find apartments? I've been watching the JS classifieds and have some good leads there. I've looked through craigslist too, although its kind of a PITA to find apartments in west tosa because lots of people advertise tosa and its really milwaukee.

Here's the criteria:
- Must be around west side of Wauwatosa, Brookfield or Elm Grove would be ideal, but probably too expensive. I work in Pewaukee, Fiance' works in various areas of Milwaukee
- Must have a garage spot and one off street parking spot
- Must have laundry either in unit or at least on the property or have hookups available
- 2 bedroom preferred, but a large 1 bedroom may be considered
- Rent needs to be be less than $750 per month

DirtyMax
06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Foxhaven Apartments off Watertown and Springdale sounds like it meets all your criteria. We lived there for a bit. 2BR 2BA. Decent sized 1 car GA with an additional off-street spot. W/D in unit. It was right around your $750 figure too IIRC. It's easy enough for her to go up to Barker and hop on I94 if she has to go to Milwaukee.

xxsn0blindxx
06-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I know exactly where you're talking about. A friend of mine lived there for years. I would guess price varies by building, but when they left just this past week the price was about to go over $850 per month. I'll check it out though and see if they have cheaper units.

DirtyMax
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
The lowers were usually a bit less than the uppers. We looked at a lot of places and that was about the nicest for the budget. I bet you can get into one for under $800. I know ours was less than that but that was almost 3 years ago too...

That company has apartments all over the place... Check it out... http://www.wimmercommunities.com/

Poncho
06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I have all that in Jackson.

+ 12 ft vaulted ceilings, 2 large bedrooms, and easily over 1000 ft.

rent is ONLY $650/mo

Holeshot
06-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Craigslist has a ton

Korndogg
06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking at www.rent.com and www.apartmentratings.com

Mssplayboybunie
06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
CL is nice lots of nice places available..but its hard getting in touch with some of the people Lots of phone/email tag. Half the time people don't even get the email though (had a few problems with that on CL) We haven't had any luck so far though and our lease is up in august so we have to get a move on soon!

Slow Joe
06-07-2007, 08:50 PM
We found one in New Berlin for $790/mo... 2br 1.5ba Fireplace, Private Entrance, Patio, two parking spots... no garage sadly enough, but we sure searched around for one...

Scales
06-08-2007, 08:35 AM
www.startrenting.com :thumbsup

CATNHAT
06-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I used to live in the Sanctuary, a Wimmer Community, in New Berlin. We were building in Pewaukee. Great service, nice clubhouse, pool, hot tub. Great location! Just south of 94 on Moorland.
Highly recomend!

Also, they have the Brookfield Hills complex, a littlecloser to 94. Great location there also, pool, fitness, etc.

414-529-3900

Slow Joe
06-11-2007, 09:47 PM
The Sanctuary is VERY NICE... Too bad it's like 1200/mo...

LIL EVO
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
House FTW :-P

hrsp
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
The Sanctuary is VERY NICE... Too bad it's like 1200/mo...

damn thats a house payment there...:wow

Slow Joe
06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Yup, we looked at 'em and said skip that... They're nice, but you're payin that much and not getting anything but a place to live...

Crawlin
06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
i got my place in Muskego. Some of the guys on here have seen it. Don't know what the lowers go for. Probably a bit too far. I'm like 10 minutes from Moorland/Brookfield Square I94 entrance. I have two bedrooms/two full baths/vaulted ceilings/fireplace/1400sq ft/two car garage.

i was in a rush to find a place(2 weeks isn't enough to find a house).

xxsn0blindxx
06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
House FTW :-P

The idea is to live in an apartment for a year or two and then buy a house. We're getting married in August so there's definitely no extra money for a down payment.

Car Guy
06-12-2007, 01:01 PM
damn thats a house payment there...:wow

I wish my house payment was $1200 a month, all the extra $$$ we'd have...!!!

But back on subject, I came across an ad on Craigslist that was looking to hire a maintinence worker for a apartment complex. It included free rent, a decent wage [$12-$15/hr], was in New Berlin, and sounded like a real decent place......

If I didn't have the house I'm in now I'd be all over it, you wouldn't need to go anywhere for work...!!!

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Mssplayboybunie
06-12-2007, 01:16 PM
if your looking to save money i'd go for a duplex or even a townhome. Apartments have a lot of fee's and you don't get much for space unless you want to pay a lot. At least with a townhome/duplex you get more space and more privacy (Less noise) imo. The one townhouse were looking to move into is 880$ a month and over 1500sqft and in Greendale, nice area.
We'd like to have a house but this is 2nd best to a home for a few years or until we have the 20% down payment for a home.

Mssplayboybunie
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM

But back on subject, I came across an ad on Craigslist that was looking to hire a maintinence worker for a apartment complex. It included free rent, a decent wage [$12-$15/hr], was in New Berlin, and sounded like a real decent place......

If I didn't have the house I'm in now I'd be all over it, you wouldn't need to go anywhere for work...!!!

That must be the life right there.. your actully getting paid 24 hrs straight if you think about it:thumbsup

Nix
06-12-2007, 03:13 PM
In New Berlin right off of National Ave right behind Culvers is a place called Hidden Creek Apts, my wife and I just moved from there and it was 780 a month. Our place was just over 1,000 sq ft, private entrance, parking out front and private garage. In apt washer/dryer,central air (not just a window air box),water softner al appliances. 2 bedroom 1.5 bath.

It was very nice and an AWESOME price for being right in the middle of New Berlin, I would highly recommend that place to anyone. the landlord is super nice but she is a pain in the ass to get ahold of at time so the wife and I would just call the office directly vs waiting for her to get back to us. We seriously thought she was dead one time cause she nwever got back to us. If you need anymore info let me know and I can get you the number and the ladies name.:thumbsup

Car Guy
06-12-2007, 04:15 PM
your actully getting paid 24 hrs straight if you think about it:thumbsup

Well sorta, it said 9am-5pm M-F is your normal work schedule and then you have to be 'available' for emergencies. Now I can't imagine that you'd be dealing with too many emergencies, and exactly what their definition of 'available' means I dont know. Cause you have to drink sometime in your life.....:alcoholic

Korndogg
06-12-2007, 04:17 PM
i think she meant you get paid 24/7 because your getting free rent.

Car Guy
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
i think she meant you get paid 24/7 because your getting free rent.

I guess you could look at it that way too, but I look at the rent as a bonus on top of being paid......:bling

xxsn0blindxx
06-12-2007, 04:45 PM

I think I'll stick with my current job. That would have to be one hell of an apartment.

xxsn0blindxx
06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
if your looking to save money i'd go for a duplex or even a townhome. Apartments have a lot of fee's and you don't get much for space unless you want to pay a lot. At least with a townhome/duplex you get more space and more privacy (Less noise) imo. The one townhouse were looking to move into is 880$ a month and over 1500sqft and in Greendale, nice area.
We'd like to have a house but this is 2nd best to a home for a few years or until we have the 20% down payment for a home.

Our plan is to keep the rent low and "pay" the monthly mortgage payment, by putting the difference into a savings account. That way we save more money and also get used to living with a house payment. We're only shooting for a 10% down payment. I haven't found any townhomes in the area we want to be in for under $1,000 a month. As much as I would like the house-like living I would rather get the real thing sooner.

DirtyMax
06-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Downpayments are not really necessary, especially not 10% and 20%. There are tons of programs for first-time buyers for 0 down and you still get the good rates. You may give up a point or so but it's better than trying to come up with $30K. Look into WHEDA and what not....

Not trying to coax anyone into anything but don't let the lack of a big DP shy you away from buying a house. I've bought two houses and never took a dime to closing. Last time, I actually got a check back when I closed...

There are so many tax benefits from owning a house. All the interest is tax deductible, as are your property tax payments. If you have solid credit history and can afford it, I suggest looking into buying versus renting. $1000 per month can get you a decent house. You may be in the $1200-$1300 range with escrow but you will enjoy the extra large tax returns which will far offset the extra monthly spendage. You will never lose money in real estate. Even if you aren't ready for the yard work and all the responsibility, a condo would be a viable option.

We rented for a bit in between owning because we had no clue where we wanted to settle, but if you have an area in mind, it's worth the time to meet with a lender to analyze your situation.

Good luck any way you go!!

Scales
06-13-2007, 01:04 AM
In New Berlin right off of National Ave right behind Culvers is a place called Hidden Creek Apts, my wife and I just moved from there and it was 780 a month. Our place was just over 1,000 sq ft, private entrance, parking out front and private garage. In apt washer/dryer,central air (not just a window air box),water softner al appliances. 2 bedroom 1.5 bath.

It was very nice and an AWESOME price for being right in the middle of New Berlin, I would highly recommend that place to anyone. the landlord is super nice but she is a pain in the ass to get ahold of at time so the wife and I would just call the office directly vs waiting for her to get back to us. We seriously thought she was dead one time cause she nwever got back to us. If you need anymore info let me know and I can get you the number and the ladies name.:thumbsup

My wife and I just moved in here in March. You are right about everything. The apartments are great, but the landlord sucks! When we first moved in, she gave me the wrong key to the garage. I had the remote, but it was in my car already. Took her a week before she called me back. By then, I had already called the main office and got it squared away.

BTW, is that your loud black TA I hear leaving all the time? If so, it sounds badass!! :thumbsup