PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs. satelite again

Russ Jerome
06-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm looking at a Time warner "total" pkg. Phone,cable (with HD ect) and
high speed internet connection for $125 including HBO, DVR and an
extra cable box for the kids unlimited phone service. Bunch of other
free trial stuff Im not mentioning as they expire a month or two later.

Im real happy with my HDTV reception but HDTVs $80 with
HBO is pricey. My AOL charges are $55 with HS cable, add
to that basic phone service all total $160, $125 looks cheap.
(the above charges are real world after tax, actual bill not
what they say it is before "service fee" and milw sucks fee)

Cable users like your HD channel selection/reception?
Cable phone users have no complaints?

I've read in the long run Satelite will have a greater variety
of HD channels, thats concern of mine with the new super-tv.

88Nightmare
06-04-2007, 06:46 PM
digital phone blows. sounds worse then my cell phone. only time warner service i have is roadrunner, just because RR just about never goes down and if it does, it never inconveniences me. I got directv with dvr and never looked back

turbogarrett
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Satelite just flat out sucks, both the dish and direct tv liked to go out whenever the weather got shitty. I pretty much only watch tv when the weather sucks, so switching to cable was a no brainer. Not too mention if you get an hd dish, they are massive. If having a nasa sized dish isn't enough of an eyesore, the installers who will drape your house with coax cables may push you over the edge. Then when you decide you've had enough of the pos, you call their customer service (if you want to call it that) thinking they will send someone out to remove the thing from your roof-not gonna happen!

Most of my friends who tried to save a buck with satellite are now back to cable. If that's not enough to persuade you, try it out! When you are stradling the top of an extension ladder,cussing like a sailor while taking your dish down, remember this post.:D

theavenger333
06-05-2007, 01:15 AM
never had problems with cable, especially digital cable. nothing but problems, especially incliment weather problems with satellite.

JC70SS
06-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Time arner sucks a big one....especially customer service. I would never had a problem with our direct tv.....snow storm, rain storm. It is perfect!

88Nightmare
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Ive had directv for 2 years, there are two times I can recall it went out. what did I do? popped in a dvd :D

turbogarrett
06-05-2007, 09:55 AM
When you have 20 people over for the superbowl, suddenly there's no tv because there are a couple flakes of snow in the sky and you have to bust out the rabbit ear attena, let me know how happy you are with it. That was it for me.

Time warner's customer service may not be a+, but at least they will get your stuff working again.

Russ Jerome
06-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks, I interogated everyone I work with who have the "package"
deal and $100 a month for everything from free long distance and
what sounds like great HD receiption and HS internet Im sold.

I've been a DirectTV user for a few yrs, snowstorms do suck. I
had cable for yrs before, similar issues in rain but none of my
neigbors are complaining in the last few years. I'll try it again.

88Nightmare
06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
i dont get it, my directv hasnt gone out more then three times, and none of them have inconvenienced me at all, they were all either when I was about to go to bed, or when nothing was on tv anyway.....

it takes a hell of a storm for me to lose reception....

Reverend Cooper
06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
yeha and i never lose my local stations on my dish

Karps TA
06-05-2007, 06:52 PM
If you have trees anywhere near where you will mount the dish, theres a good chance in big storms you'll have issues. When the wieght of the water gets on the branches they dip and then get in the way. If you have a wide open space, then you'll likely never see an issue.

turbogarrett
06-05-2007, 07:06 PM
No trees were around my dish('s) and from where they were mounted I had a clear view of the southern sky?? Your best bet is to check with other people in your area who have it. Everyone I know who has satellite in the the city area has issues at least once in awhile with it. YMMV!

Goat Roper
06-05-2007, 07:17 PM
AT&T Uverse television ftmfw

Great pricing

Huge number of channels

Lots of packages

You DON'T have to have AT&T phone service

Usually have great incentives to switch

Breecher_7
06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I might as well get in on this as im going to have direct tv by the end of the month at the new house.
Do any of you have there HD DVR Service and there internet service? Wondering what you pay for it?

I need to get this all figured out.....

Reverend Cooper
06-05-2007, 07:29 PM
i have 3 hd recievers and 1 hd dvr quality and pix sec. to none, dont have their internet tho, i think i pay like 80-90 a month roughly

Breecher_7
06-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Any idea what there internet runs or if its decent? I have no other choice where im moving......

Ricky Bobby
06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
AT&T Uverse television ftmfw

Great pricing

Huge number of channels

Lots of packages

You DON'T have to have AT&T phone service

Usually have great incentives to switchu are one of few if that shit is workin they are havin major problems with it not to mention the 8hr install it takes LOL.

Ricky Bobby
06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
digital phone blows. sounds worse then my cell phone. only time warner service i have is roadrunner, just because RR just about never goes down and if it does, it never inconveniences me. I got directv with dvr and never looked back

the phone should sound the same and if it didnt we usually fix it and we dont charge for service calls unlike at&t when its $75 to walk to ur door, ive had the phone service since day one sounds the same as my last land line phone and its only been out once in 2yrs

07ROUSHSTG3
06-06-2007, 09:38 AM
i have cable phone and love it! it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the regular landline. the only time it sucks is if the cable goes down, which it rarely does. satellite sucks, go with the cable.

Karps TA
06-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Don't most of you have cell phones anyways? I knocked down my AT&T service to basically nothing. My phone bill is like $16 a month. No long distance, no call waiting or any of those add on. I need to call long distance I just use my cell phone..

88Nightmare
06-06-2007, 10:35 AM
yeah I hated digital phone. at&t may charge 75 to come to your door, but I never once in my life ever needed them to come and fix anything, so therefore it doesnt matter what they charge if I never need it.

Any time power went out, the digital phone modem would never reset itself, I would have to call time warner to have them reset it. And the worst part is, they couldnt tell from their office if it was down or not. So theoretically, lets say I didnt have a cell phone.... How would I ever call them and have them fix it for me? walk 3 miles to a pay phone? When I had the digital phone, they had no way of running any checks on it or self diagnostics on it from a remote location like they can with the roadrunner. SO **** DIGITAL PHONE!!!!

300pny
06-06-2007, 10:39 AM
my inlaws have internet through the Satalite and it is slow as Sh1t and costs 70 bucks a mo just for the internet portion.

Breecher_7
06-06-2007, 10:47 AM
my inlaws have internet through the Satalite and it is slow as Sh1t and costs 70 bucks a mo just for the internet portion.

This is what im affraid of..

300pny
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
This is what im affraid of..

Just get a sprint/verzon card and go through a cell provider. My wife has one for her PDA/laptop and it is impressive (not as fast as RR but good) it was around a Megabit when I tested it and way cheaper.

Breecher_7
06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
We have a friend that installs direct TV..... Gonna talk to him and see what he can do for us..

Ricky Bobby
06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
yeah I hated digital phone. at&t may charge 75 to come to your door, but I never once in my life ever needed them to come and fix anything, so therefore it doesnt matter what they charge if I never need it.

Any time power went out, the digital phone modem would never reset itself, I would have to call time warner to have them reset it. And the worst part is, they couldnt tell from their office if it was down or not. So theoretically, lets say I didnt have a cell phone.... How would I ever call them and have them fix it for me? walk 3 miles to a pay phone? When I had the digital phone, they had no way of running any checks on it or self diagnostics on it from a remote location like they can with the roadrunner. SO **** DIGITAL PHONE!!!!
thats bullshit we can see every piece of electronic equip from downtown so someone fed u some shit. and did u have a battery backup on ur phone modem if so then it would never reset till u unhooked the battery to let it fully reboot

Russ Jerome
06-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Nobody I have talked too has complained about there phone thru
the cable, I asked again after reading some of the complaints.
Honestly the home phone is for the kids, never a***er it but
may now since they offer free garbage blocking...woohooo!

I think the choice comes down to money more than anything,
if your paying for satelite,home phone/longdistance and high
speed internet it is a lot more than the "PKG" deal. With
4 kids,two in college and me being the only income Time warner/
Roadrunner is a no brainer from the looks of it. See Ya Satelite!

88Nightmare
06-06-2007, 06:32 PM
i like customer service, features, and reliability

Goat Roper
06-07-2007, 05:26 PM
u are one of few if that shit is workin they are havin major problems with it not to mention the 8hr install it takes LOL.

It has been great for me. Install was longish but they are still building the system out and if they need to upgrade the VRAD in your area it can take a while like you said.