PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody remember these...???

Car Guy
05-31-2007, 11:36 PM
I was quite young when my family was playing with these but I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread. I don't know exactly why but within a few years you just didn't see them anymore...???

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/342282125.html >>>>> I can't believe how much the asking price is, but I'm thinking they are in the category of 'collector's items'. I know they didn't hold up to well (el-cheapo plastic) and most were probably tossed in the trash so there can't be many left.....

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Al
06-01-2007, 02:47 AM
You can find them at rummage sales all over town. Call Art Smart's Dart Mart.

Josepy
06-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I was quite young when my family was playing with these but I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread. I don't know exactly why but within a few years you just didn't see them anymore...???

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/342282125.html >>>>> I can't believe how much the asking price is, but I'm thinking they are in the category of 'collector's items'. I know they didn't hold up to well (el-cheapo plastic) and most were probably tossed in the trash so there can't be many left.....

before i even clicked the link i knew it was jarts. i miss them.

Holeshot
06-01-2007, 06:24 AM
The only way you can get them is rummage ..... used. Believe it or not they are illegal to sell. I shit you not They were outlawed years ago.

Mudd Runner
06-01-2007, 07:36 AM
The only way you can get them is rummage ..... used. Believe it or not they are illegal to sell. I shit you not They were outlawed years ago.

Yep my parents still have them and so does the guy next door they outlawed them cause of the metal tips

whistlin six
06-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I'll never forget, my cousin and I were playing with those at a long distance.
He got in the way of the dart and it stuck right in his arm, literally.
I can see why they were outlawed, not a good idea.

Waver
06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
I think my dad still has them in the basement.....they were fun......

Karps TA
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
We still play with them every summer, always drunk off our asses, never an injury. Ridiculous that they got banned.

Waver
06-01-2007, 08:25 AM
We still play with them every summer, always drunk off our asses, never an injury. Ridiculous that they got banned.
as long as no one is standing directally in front of you or behind you there should be no problem.....or if you are not throwing them at someone....it takes a little common sence with them, not much but a little

Karps TA
06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm surprised they haven't banned forks yet. You know someone could throw one, or accidently stick one in their eye.

PonyKiller87
06-01-2007, 08:29 AM
I scored a brand new in the box set of these for free. There sitting in my basement right now.

My parents had a set when I was little and I loved playing that game.

I have heard stories about my uncle catching one in the back once at a family bbq.

Scales
06-01-2007, 08:31 AM
My parents had a set of those while I was growing up. We used to skid them down the road and watch em spark. They got tossed in the garbage after I almost put my sisters eye out with one. But man, were they fun!!

Car Guy
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
I heard they were made illegal to sell but wasn't sure, between that and the fact that everybody was getting impaled has got to be why they just 'dissapeared'.....

Actually, now that I think about it I can remember playing with what was left from our old set. I took the 2 remaining jarts over to a buddies house and we were throwing them straight up in the air. We were just letting them land and trying to see how far in the ground we could bury them. Well that was all fine and dandy until one came down and blew a 4-5 inch hole in a thick plastic bird bath. I think that's when I realized that those things can do some serious damage....:wooo

Larrygto
06-01-2007, 10:28 AM
:wtf Do the picnic police arrest you if you play Jarts in your backyard?

Car Guy
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
:wtf Do the picnic police arrest you if you play Jarts in your backyard?

I think you can still use them, they're just illegal to sell in the stores....

Silver350
06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
My dad still has his, but he would never let my brother and I use them after they took them off the market.

fireguyrick
06-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Use to take the hoops and put them on a clothes line. We would then see who could pitch the jart through them. Of course, as kids we would stand on opposite sides and try to dodge the jarts...

Rick

Feature Pony
06-01-2007, 11:55 AM
I still have a set in the basement some where. My grandparents picked them up at a rummage sale brand new, we used them a couple of time, so my guess they are still in great shape.

Deggy
06-01-2007, 12:00 PM
i almost got one right through my foot.....damn family reunions and lawn darts dont mix...to much alcohal involved.

300pny
06-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Neighbor is having a rummage sale and has the same ones for 2 dollars

Car Guy
06-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Neighbor is having a rummage sale and has the same ones for 2 dollars

I want them, where's the rummage...???

HITMAN
06-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Ah, the good old days...when men were men and natural selection was allowed to proceed at it's own pace.

Imagine a time when kids weren't being made to wear a hamburger bun on their heads and padded everything when riding a bicycle. We used to ride around in cars that had metal dashboards and didn't even have seat belts, now kids have to sit in some armored car seats while being surrounded by 50 air bags until they're the size of a linebacker. You could watch cartoons that were actually funny, even though they might have some character getting crowned with a mallet once in a while in them. You could buy a lighter that would actually light without needing a how-to manual. And you could buy Jarts. :shades Jarts ranked right up there with rock and BB gun fights. No better way to develop quick vision and sharp reflexes. You either dodged them or you paid the consequences.
Jarts ruled. :thumbsup

Car Guy
06-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Ah, the good old days...when men were men and natural selection was allowed to proceed at it's own pace.

Imagine a time when kids weren't being made to wear a hamburger bun on their heads and padded everything when riding a bicycle. We used to ride around in cars that had metal dashboards and didn't even have seat belts, now kids have to sit in some armored car seats while being surrounded by 50 air bags until they're the size of a linebacker. You could watch cartoons that were actually funny, even though they might have some character getting crowned with a mallet once in a while in them. You could buy a lighter that would actually light without needing a how-to manual. And you could buy Jarts. :shades Jarts ranked right up there with rock and BB gun fights. No better way to develop quick vision and sharp reflexes. You either dodged them or you paid the consequences.
Jarts ruled. :thumbsup

Sometimes I think that's the way 'nature' intended us to live, but some may disagree.....

Well I had to know so I did some quick research, the sale/manufacturing of Jarts were banned on December 19th of 1988 in the US and Canada. They have caused tens of thousands of injuries over the years and still do to this day! The saddest statistic is four children were killed, the latest was in 1997 located somewhere in Indiana. There is one company left that makes Jarts and they are located in the United Kingdom.....

I'm thinking we should have a BCM Jarts Tournament, only problem I can forsee is finding the damn things to play with. I'm going to try looking around at rummages in the area to find some, I tried looking online and $50-100 bucks or more is what you're looking at spending for a decent set.....:wooo