PDA

View Full Version : Camera question

WilliamZ
05-29-2007, 08:12 AM
I am thinking about getting a new Canon Rebel XTi and wondering if I should get the kit or just get the body with a nice lens. I hear the lens with the kit is kinda crappy. If i should get the body with a nice lens what lens is a decent one to get?

jamest
05-29-2007, 09:42 AM
How much money do you want to spend? What subject matter are you going to photograph?

The lens that comes with the kit works fine. It is a Canon lens with their name on it. Why do you think or what was some of the reasons did you hear that made it crappy?

wikked
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
The kit lens is great for learning on I guess, and damn cheap for what it is... but I think I've already grown out of it in a couple months.
The macro/zoom isn't all that great, washed out colors, eh.

Get the 17-85 ($4-500)if you have the spare cash.

jamest
05-29-2007, 01:30 PM
When purchasing a lens remember that the focal length multiplier for a rebel XTi is 1.5 unless the lens is labeled digital lens.

sacstoy02gt
05-29-2007, 01:48 PM
actually, the crop factor is 1.6 on the XTi. Even "digital" lenses are the focal length they say they are, even if they have a reduced image circle size (Canon EF-S, Sigma DC, Tamron Di, etc).

So, any lens you buy and throw on a 1.6x sensor camera, take the focal length times crop factor to find the effective size compared to a full-sensor (35mm) camera.

My Sigma 17-70 DC, (digital, reduced image circle), is equivalent 27-112mm when compared to full-format due to my XT's 1.6x crop factor.

Could very well be some lenses that take the crop factor into consideration, but none I know of.

Hope that helps someone.

Cryptic
05-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I had the 17-85 EF-S lens. I think its a good starter/walk about lens if you have the spare money for upgrade.

Depends what you going for... Will you be shooting alot indoors or outdoors?
You'll need a fast lens and lots of flash to shoot things in church like settings. Fast is refering to the F stop. Most cheaper lenses will have an F stop of 5.6 at full zoom. Which will not perform to well when its low light.

2.8 or faster (lower) allows you to get more light in the camera so you can have a faster shutter, or else you end up with blurred motion.

Again.. what's your intended application. a cheaper lens maybe just fine for what you want to do.

Xti would be an excellent camera or you can buy my XT body from me used :D

Cryptic
05-29-2007, 04:41 PM
you could always opt for a cheap prime lens (no zoom) for indoor stuff

super fast super cheap
Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

carkid0101
05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
i pretty much agree with everyone here, the kit lens is really no good, best off buyin the body only imo

WilliamZ
05-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the information guys. I ended up buying the XTi kit over lunch break today. I got it with the Canon chepo tripod. It arrives on Thursday! :) I ordered it from BH photo.