PDA

View Full Version : Front driver side wheels keeps making noise!!!

Nix
05-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Exactly what it says, I just recently did the brakes on my 02 Grand Prix. I did all four corners rotors and pads last weekend. Before I did the brakes it was making the squeeking sound and even after I honestly think it is doing it more now!

Espically when you turn right it does it more but when you are going straight its not as bad and when you turn left it almost completly stops.:confused

Everthing was lubed, greased and cleaned when it was apart and then it was taken apart a SECOND time cause it was still doing it and it just wont shut the FUK UP!!! This is driving me insane and I usually never us my AC but the past 2 days I have cause I can not stand listning to this damn thing anymore!

Any suggestions? I along with my brother (GRM-REPR) went over it two times now and I don't see shit! Please this thing is drving me nuts here.

:kennygun::crazyeyes:sniper:guns1:feedback:

Berettaspeed
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
well. i know sometimes you can have the wrong pad on the wrong side. being the wear indicater may be touching.(very rare) but most of the time its either grease or oil got on the rotor and its glazed.(too much brake grease can do this when it warms up and gets on everything) or your rotors you bought brand new have a crappy non-directional finish on them.

edit...oh yeah also those shims they give you, some of them tend to stick out farther and touch the rotor. cheap POS aftermarket crap. i hate it when its those causing the problems.

Yooformula
05-23-2007, 09:24 PM
how were the calipers/pistons? I went through 2 sets from autozone before I got a set that didnt bind right away.

300pny
05-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Can you describe the noise? Squeeky,grinding, popping? Better yet can you post a mp3 attempting to simulate the noise?

Reverend Cooper
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
actually check the fit clips that semi float the pad in the holder. make sure one isnt cracked or hasnt moved then hit on the rotor. i would remove and check the front and back sides of the rotors till you find the one thats being rubbed on hence a slight groove in it. also check the pads make sure the shims are in place. if nothing threre looks odd. check the suspension and make sure it doesnt have a bad bearing that is allowing the rotor to move back and forth slightly touching the pad either making the noise or then the pad hitting the fit clips uneven and making the noise. keep looking it has to be from somewhere

300pny
05-23-2007, 10:23 PM
hmmmm I think it would really help if we could get an example.

Nix
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
how were the calipers/pistons? I went through 2 sets from autozone before I got a set that didnt bind right away.

Calipers and such are in excellent condition, good idea though.

Nix
05-24-2007, 09:25 AM
actually check the fit clips that semi float the pad in the holder. make sure one isnt cracked or hasnt moved then hit on the rotor. i would remove and check the front and back sides of the rotors till you find the one thats being rubbed on hence a slight groove in it. also check the pads make sure the shims are in place. if nothing threre looks odd. check the suspension and make sure it doesnt have a bad bearing that is allowing the rotor to move back and forth slightly touching the pad either making the noise or then the pad hitting the fit clips uneven and making the noise. keep looking it has to be from somewhere

I think you may be onto something here. I thought about that and I was fairly confident that everything was where it should be but I looked at the rotor through the rim and I can see a slight groove where the little metal spacer would be on the mounting bracket for the assembley.

I will tear it down tomorrow after work unless my softball game is cancelled due to shitty weather tonight. Thanks for the suggestions people I'll post up after I rip it apart again.

GRM-REPR
05-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I think you may be onto something here. I thought about that and I was fairly confident that everything was where it should be but I looked at the rotor through the rim and I can see a slight groove where the little metal spacer would be on the mounting bracket for the assembley.

I will tear it down tomorrow after work unless my softball game is cancelled due to shitty weather tonight. Thanks for the suggestions people I'll post up after I rip it apart again.

Didn't you mention it was doing it before the brakes though? If I remember right, the auto zone pads you got didn't even give you new anti rattle clips. I cleaned them and greased them, they looked good tho.

You may need to take a die-grinder with a 3M pad on it and and smooth out the edges more on the pads to take the edge off.

A B4C Z
05-31-2007, 11:51 PM
Possible bad backing plate?

Take the wheel off look for bare metal or rub marks on the rotor.

Donny O.
06-02-2007, 04:25 AM
wheel bearing??

Poncho
06-02-2007, 05:29 AM
wheel bearing??

that would be more of a whur.

while you had it apart you could have upgrades your front brakes.

the Gen 2.5 Cars used 12" front brakes.

Same caliper, larger rotor and bracket spaced out further obviously.

cheap upgrade. I paid $10 from a junkyard for the brackets, and the rotors didn't cost me anymore than the standard ones