PDA

View Full Version : The Flip Flop Thread

jbiscuit
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Just a little experiment....if you were FORCED to drive the opposite of what you drive, what would it be? FOR EXAMPLE: If you drive a Ford Taurus right now, you might say you'd pick a Honda Accord to replace it because you really like how the cars look etc....

If you currently own a domestic as your primary mode of transportation, what import vehicle would you drive and why?

Same question for the import owners. I drive a WRX wagon daily. If I had to replace it with a domestic vehicle, I'd probably want a Charger SRT-8. I'd hate the gas mileage but I like those cars...especially how nice and roomy it'd be for a daily

J

GRM-REPR
05-23-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a 97' Lincoln Town Car, if I were to get an import, I would go with an Acura CLS.....

Breecher_7
05-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Hmm....The Ram Or Silverado are my daily drivers.......SOOOOO......Even though its built in the united states, it is still a Jap company so Id have to say Id go for a Toyota Tundra.....

If it were my Jeep Cherokee, Id say a Toyota FJ Cruiser

It it were one of my Suzukis or my Kawi, Id have to say MV Agusta or Aprillia

Karps TA
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I've got an 07 Monte now. Only imports I'd consider is like an Acura TL or Infiniti G35.

TURTLE
05-23-2007, 11:01 AM
i gots a few neons... i guess i'd drive the new civic si 4-door... or maybe a EVO 8... MR of course....

07ROUSHSTG3
05-23-2007, 11:56 AM
i drive an expedition and my mustang, if i were forced to drive an import it would probably be an acura of some sort. for the truck replacement probably be a nissan i guess

GRNDNL
05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Oh...Your talking about cars, I saw the title of the thread and thought you were switching from males to females.....

GRM-REPR
i drive an expedition and my mustang, if i were forced to drive an import it would probably be an acura of some sort. for the truck replacement probably be a nissan i guess

Nissan trucks are rated the worst. You better re-think your decision.:shades

Prescott
I'll never buy another acura as long as brookfield is the only game in town.
They got you by the balls, don't like the deal you're getting? or having trouble with warranty work? or service in general? tough! Closest acura dealer is madison, oh yeah, thats right, it's owned by the same people.
imo, buying a honda is a better way to go. Option out a v6 accord and save some $$$.

GRM-REPR
05-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll never buy another acura as long as brookfield is the only game in town.
They got you by the balls, don't like the deal you're getting? or having trouble with warranty work? or service in general? tough! Closest acura dealer is madison, oh yeah, thats right, it's owned by the same people.
imo, buying a honda is a better way to go. Option out a v6 accord and save some $$$.

I will be the only one agreeing with you on AOB. I worked at that shithouse, and sued them over workmans comp. What a dump and a half. They cheat their employess worse than they cheat their customers. If a potential customer is unwilling to bring the vehicle back for the rip-off maintanence, they will refuse sale to the customer. That is what they are trained to do.

By the way, you're correct on the statement of a company owning both Acura dealers in the state. The name is Zimbrick, and they are f'n huge in Madison.

There was another Acura dealer years ago, it was owned by Wilde. They got shut down because of "dirty" dealings going on there.

History lesson.......over.....

Want_Notch
05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I drive two taurus' an expy and a mustang. So my flips would be a G35x, Range Rover LR3, and a skyline.

Cryptic
05-23-2007, 12:19 PM
I've owned a Ford 150 and a Chevy 2500... if I had to go import today for a truck it would be the Toyota Tundra Crew Max Cab w/ 5.7L

My brother has one and its an awesome truck.

Nix
05-23-2007, 12:21 PM
I drive a grand prix so I guess the import would be have to be an Accord or something very similar.

As fro my Trans Am I really cant think of anything foreign that would be able to replace it?

xxsn0blindxx
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
I have 91 Plymouth Voyager winter beater and a 2001 Mustang GT that I drive whenever there's no salt on the road. I'd trade the Voyager for a similar vintage accord wagon, or to be more apples-to-apples, a supercharged Previa. For the Mustang I'd swap for a same year BMW 330ci or a Infiniti G35 coupe.

Flight_740
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Nothing. What does any american car maker make that i would want? Nothing. Going from a Q45T to a bonni or somthing would suck!! Even with the miles I have it would suck.

What else is there? Caddy? <-------Oh hell no!!! Lincoln? <----Nope.

Nothing american appeals to me anymore.

I would just keep my Higher mileage Q.

Now If I could consider Infiniti to Lexus, I may consider.

Mudd Runner
05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I drive a ranger so id have to say a toyota of some sort

Cryptic
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I guess a Nissan Maxima would be a close equivalent of my 4 door GTX. Would have to add a supercharger or something though

I'm assuming the flip flops should be in a similar price range... some of these above are not in the same league.

GRM-REPR
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
I drive a grand prix so I guess the import would be have to be an Accord or something very similar.

As fro my Trans Am I really cant think of anything foreign that would be able to replace it?

I think for your Trans AM, a Yugo would be an sufficient flip-flop. But you need 2 of them, one of them will be the parts car.:goof

Nix
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I think for your Trans AM, a Yugo would be an sufficient flip-flop. But you need 2 of them, one of them will be the parts car.:goof

Then I guess we will need 4 Yugos to also replace your bird you smelly twit!!:rolf:banana1:

GRM-REPR
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Then I guess we will need 4 Yugos to also replace your bird you smelly twit!!:rolf:banana1:

Touch'e

84hurst
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
The opposite of the Silverado, either a Tundra or a Titan
The opposite of the Z28, prolly a early Supra or 300ZX
The opposite of the H/O, I dunno, an early '80s Corrola??? :rolf

Rocket Power
05-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Since I am an Olds guy, would I have to choose an import they don't make anymore:goof

Breecher_7
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I've owned a Ford 150 and a Chevy 2500... if I had to go import today for a truck it would be the Toyota Tundra Crew Max Cab w/ 5.7L

My brother has one and its an awesome truck.

I also said I would go to a tundra under the circumstanses, but to be honest after test drivein the 5.7 crewmax 4x4, it actually feels more gutless then my dodge and chevy, if that thing is putting 380hp out, id like to know where its going

Cryptic
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought it felt pretty responsive. I was barking the tires on accident on the one I test drive. The 6 speed tranny is a nice plus too.

Breecher_7
05-23-2007, 01:57 PM
im not a fan of the 6-speed auto. A friend of mine has one as well and whenever he has a decent load on his trailor the thing is constantly searching for gears. Its rather annoying.

Slow Joe
05-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Let's see... if it was two weeks ago... I'm not comparing prices btw...

'01 Mustang - '97 M3
'02 Mustang Vert - Solara Convert
'06 Fusion - Nissan Maxima

Now a Days
'02 Mustang Vert - '01 M3 Vert
'07 Corolla - '08 Focus

Prince Valiant
05-23-2007, 05:04 PM
I guess the oppossite of my 1.0 liter 3 cylinder insight hatch would be an 8.3 liter v-10 powered Dodge Viper SRT-10 Roadster.

I could live with that.

88Nightmare
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
a mazda miata. zoom zoom zoom yo

Poncho
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
GTO - BMW M3 Coupe/Benz CLK550 to me thats whats comparable for a two door coupe in it's configuration w/ power & luxury

Mustang - 350Z

Flight_740
05-23-2007, 07:38 PM
GTO - BMW M3 Coupe/Benz CLK550 to me thats whats comparable for a two door coupe in it's configuration w/ power & luxury

Mustang - 350Z

No offense but Power yes, luxury and build quality, not a chance in hell.

Berettaspeed
05-23-2007, 07:40 PM
chevy beretta

hmmm i think it would be... in stock form?? or a now form?? aha
umm a .... a ... would be..... this is hard......
maybe a MX6, but those were way faster stock...
or a 80s golf GTI.

70challenger452
05-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Dakota- I'd swap for maybe Bently, even trade right?
Challenger- IDK, i really don't

Silver03SRT
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I drive a Dodge Dakota and if I had to pick a foreign truck it would probably be a Titan

Flight_740
05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
chevy beretta

hmmm i think it would be... in stock form?? or a now form?? aha
umm a .... a ... would be..... this is hard......
maybe a MX6, but those were way faster stock...
or a 80s golf GTI.

See now you are realistic. Unlike some.

I love this topic. You only really know once you drive an import for 50k miles. Then you really know whats up.

I mean come on!!! A G35X compared to a Taurus????
Come on. More like a base model Camry or Accord.

Flight_740
05-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Nick, you are right on target. Come by me and I'll let you drive any import on the lot just to see the difference.

Slow Joe
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Only thing I wasn't realistic on were the toys... Just 'cause I didn't want to be... lol

jbiscuit
05-24-2007, 07:49 AM
I love this topic. You only really know once you drive an import for 50k miles. Then you really know whats up.

very true. My wagon is running strong at 75K on the ticker.....sh1t it runs/drives/feels like new. I'm still on the butter-shifting stock clutch yet :thumbsup:D

Slow Joe
05-24-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm waiting to see how the Corolla holds up, but after the way all these Toyota guys are talking I'm expecting that car to be god like... :rolf

redpony06
05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Well first of all i wouldnt have a 350Z my choice would be a Lexus LS

nismodave
05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I dont think there is a Domestic that would be similar to my Mazda 6......Dont say Fusion, because they just look....Meh.

A domestic replacement for the 240???? Does not exist.

PureSound15
05-25-2007, 12:10 AM
If I had to trade the CLS I guess I would go for a CTS?

I bought the car for just that reason, theres nothing like it and very few people even know what it is other than it being an Acura, so in a way I'm glad that its hard to compare to anything else.

Good topic J

Poncho
05-25-2007, 01:16 AM
No offense but Power yes, luxury and build quality, not a chance in hell.

funny you say that, as it's regarded as having the best interior in any modern GM, and tight body seams, and fantastic build quality.

from a old review of the weaker engine, brakes, and rear '04 GTO w/ the flat hood and single side exit exhaust (meaning things were significantly improved for 05-06):

Surprise #2: The new GTO looks nothing like a jukebox on wheels. True, the Yellow Jacket paint scheme on our test car was bright enough to give George Hamilton a sunburn, but the bodywork is as clean and sleek as a modern Euro coupe's. This may not be the most memorable shape behind today's showroom glass, but we applaud Pontiac's decision to skip the bolt-on body cladding and the shaving-mirror chrome wheels--indeed, the body is entirely free of "I'm a musclecar" costume. Even the small rear wing looks appropriate, lending just the right sporty finish to the tail. In fact, the GTO is so tastefully subdued, it'll surely disappoint those expecting the Vin Diesel treatment. Yet the muscle is there for those who appreciate subtlety. Check out the ride height, for instance. When have you seen a factory General Motors product so rakishly low to the ground--or sporting such narrow tire-to-body gaps?

Surprise #3: The cabin has the sporty elegance of a BMW's. Four large analog gauges (wearing faces color-coordinated with the exterior paint) lie in a large pod behind the wheel; the dials and much of the interior are trimmed with a classy satin-nickel finish (as are the drilled pedals). The four-spoke steering wheel (with integrated audio controls) feels good in your hands and is infinitely adjustable for tilt and telescope--something we've been nagging GM to do for years. The center stack houses straightforward climate controls and that Blaupunkt audio system--a 200-watt, 10-speaker affair with in-dash six-disc CD changer. There's not a blob of bling-bling marring the cool, businesslike ambiance. Your $500 aluminum attache case will look right at home here.

Surprise #4: Fit and finish are the finest we've seen on a GM vehicle in decades. The body emits not a squeak and shimmies not a whit, parts gaps are tight and uniform (even on our preproduction pilot vehicle), the interior shapes flow smoothly into one another, and the materials are rich and handsome. Superb, beautifully stitched leather covers the wheel, the shift boot, and the seats. The seats themselves are simply spectacular, deeply bolstered for excellent support, and roomy enough to be accommodating for drivers of various sizes.

Surprise #5: Although it'll happily melt its rear BFGoodriches into rubber pudding (a standard traction-control system will step in to save your tires unless you switch it off), the GTO runs not like a shuddering, rackety musclecar, but like a sophisticated executive's express. For sheer drivetrain refinement, the GTO easily matches Europe's best sporting coupes. And in a straight line, it'll smoke a similar rear-drive, V-8 two-door like the $52,000 Mercedes CLK500.

Surprise #6: The GTO apparently has Cool Whip in its suspension. Forget that punishing big-numbers ride we've come to expect from American performance coupes--the GTO is too well-mannered to deliver constant, seat-pounding reminders of its sport-coupe intentions. Maximum handling grip--0.80 g--doesn't set any performance standards, but the GTO's real-world useability does. Several of our test drivers commented that they had driven few other coupes so poised, so well-balanced, so confidence-inspiring when you're in full-hustle mode. In that respect, the GTO will lose locker-room debates based on spec-chart bravado. But it shines where it counts: in the driver's seat.

What have we learned? Like that svelte Hugo Boss, the Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG is a great-looking, beautifully engineered, top-quality piece that performs at a high level. And, like that other well-made, if mass-produced, suit, the Pontiac GTO provides perhaps 85 to 90 percent of the goodness--for less than 50 percent of the cost.

I can respect your opinions, I'm sure you can respect mine -- and multiple automotive publications opinions, and objectified views

Poncho
05-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Well first of all i wouldnt have a 350Z my choice would be a Lexus LS

can you bend on this??, I like the GS's looks better.
That being said, we really need to do a flip flop for your vehicle.

Slow Joe
05-25-2007, 07:28 AM
I dont think there is a Domestic that would be similar to my Mazda 6......Dont say Fusion, because they just look....Meh.

A domestic replacement for the 240???? Does not exist.

Fusion... There, I said it... :goof

Mechanically the same car, astetically (sp) not...

Domestic Replacement for the 240 must be something like a... Fiero or something :durr Just Kidding :rolf

Flight_740
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Judge this, I'll admit that I think the GTO's interior is above par for GM.

Hey, atleast I like what you have done with yours. Car looks good.