PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here actually train in mixed martial arts? kids too?

Yooformula
05-22-2007, 08:40 PM
We want to get our kids into martial arts but I really am not a fan of traditional taekwondo or karate. I am looking for more of a muay thai, jui jitso or akido disciplines. Any suggestions?

GTSLOW
05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
We want to get our kids into martial arts but I really am not a fan of traditional taekwondo or karate. I am looking for more of a muay thai, jui jitso or akido disciplines. Any suggestions?

Not sure about that stuff, but my dads a Taekowndo instructor if you decide to go that way. I can get the info of the place if ya want it, I can't remeber where it was.

Karps TA
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Waste of money. You got a house right? Simply teach them paint the fence, sand the floor and wax the car. Ass kicking comes natural after that.

subliminal1284
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I really wouldnt reccomend anything other than tae kwon do or karate for a kid. Alot of Tae kwon Do places also have Hapkido

moels
05-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't know of any MMA type places, although I know there must be some in the area. If you can't find a good one, have them join a wrestling club and do some boxing and jiu jitsu. That's about as well rounded as you can get. I was lucky when I came up that my dad boxed and did jiu jitsu and I wrestled for years. Made me a well rounded fighter before I earned a belt in Tae kwon do.

Berettaspeed
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
no-can-do and karate are well.... not my first choice. id ratrher get into a kung-fu style. its hell alot smother and more styles to learn. ever see karate? talk about chopy. no-can-do... i have nothing good to say about it. if you want it for defending them selfs street fighting is another arena and unless they are extremly good i don't see any of it working. judo is the best for defence for a short period of time. so if you don't like it i think it will become more helpfull. more close contact involved. closest to wrestling and very smooth and works well!

martial arts really doesn't work unless the person using it is very calm and training instincts become 2nd nature.

im a fan of kung-fu all the way. or get books and tech them yourself. any kind of sparing is good for everyone. you can't learn how to block or to avoid a hit until you get hit. haha

Lash
05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Theres a jiu jitsu gym right on the corner of the hwy 164 hwy 59 split in Waukesha. I cant remember the name of the place. You'd never know it when you drive by.

Then you have the Duke Roufus gym in Milwaukee (76th and bluemound). They have classes for kids..
http://www.dukeroufusgym.com/

Thers is also this guy.....he's the brother of my ciropractor...his rates are high as shit though and I'm not sure about kids. He's trained with some pretty well known people though.

Heffernan Yoga Center
1826 E Main St
Waukesha, WI 53186
(262) 524-9222
PJ Heffernan: Yoga & Fitness Instructor

Martial Arts
Japanese Jujutsu - 1996-2003 Black Belt ( u/ Michael Coleman and Shoto Tanemura )
Taekwondo, Hapkido, Kenpo, Ninpo, Pa Kua, Kung fu, Jiu Jitsu( u/ Royce Gracie), Capoiera and Tai Boxing -1985 - 2002

hrsp
05-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't know of any MMA type places, although I know there must be some in the area. If you can't find a good one, have them join a wrestling club and do some boxing and jiu jitsu. That's about as well rounded as you can get. I was lucky when I came up that my dad boxed and did jiu jitsu and I wrestled for years. Made me a well rounded fighter before I earned a belt in Tae kwon do.

wanna fight?

Lash
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
wanna fight?

:rolf
:thumbsup

I got my beer and popcorn ready!

boostaddict14
05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
I was in Shorin Ryu karate a long time ago, and it does teach discipline but if you have a temper and can't stay calm it doesn't work for poop

moels
05-22-2007, 09:43 PM
wanna fight?

lol, I am open to spar anytime.

hrsp
05-22-2007, 09:46 PM
need stats....

moels
05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm 5'10" 210 lbs. I ain't much.

hrsp
05-22-2007, 09:51 PM
hmmm you got me by 10-15pounds...

how about we foot race instead!!!!lol

i dont have insurance and if you break me you have to buy me...ROFL

back on topic i have a buddy who went to just for kicks on 108th and lincoln when we were kids and he got a brown belt?? never used the skills he was taught so maybe they didnt teach him much??

moels
05-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, I think it's a good thing not to have to use the skills in real world situations. Means you haven't ran across any a-holes.

I don't know if I could even run a 40 yrd. dash anymore. lol

hrsp
05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
he's been in "many" fights and never used the so-called knowledge of his belt...

its good for kids to do though...gets em off the couch and keeps em busy

moels
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Martial arts of any kind is mainly to teach discipline. Good for anyone. There is no downside.

hrsp
05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Martial arts of any kind is mainly to teach discipline. Good for anyone. There is no downside.

agreed....

fireguyrick
05-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Yoo, you have PM.

Rick

Yooformula
05-22-2007, 11:21 PM
I took alot of taekwondo when I was young and it was a waste imo. Kinda like algebra, alot of form but nothing useful in the real world. I want my kids to get some discipline and considering how strong and coordinated my oldest is, I dont want to waste her potential. She has great hand/eye coordination and loves to spar. She will slug away at my stand up bag and swing until I tell her to stop on the speed bag. She loves to throw down and has awesome stamina.

Yooformula
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Yoo, you have PM.

Rick

AWESOME! thank you!! Jeet kune do and the muay thai is EXACTLY what I would like for them and for me to spar with. My wife really wants to elevate her conditioning and would like this also.

Berettaspeed
05-22-2007, 11:33 PM
ahh bruce lees book is nice.. jeet kune do(big black one). i have about 6 of his books.

subliminal1284
05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I have been doing Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan for years,

Cryptic
05-23-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0242653/MX3EONFX-120.jpg
http://www.funpages.com/kungfucats/kungfu.jpg

Actually have you considered a wrestling program. I have my son in program that is run by New Berlin West Wrestling. K-6th grade. I help coach. :D

HRSEPLA
05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Try out Kenpo, also known as 'phone booth fighting', close combat, real world usage, some of the other disciplines arent always practical in a real street brawl. Whataaaaaaaaaaaaa

Teufelhunden
05-24-2007, 12:20 AM
Another vote for Kenpo. This place is great: www.questselfdefense.com