PDA

View Full Version : Attention Chevy Service people.

fireguyrick
05-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I have a question about an issue with the wife's Trailblazer SS, please PM me. I think that the dealership service department is either trying to screw me over or worse yet they really do NOT know what is the true issue.

Rick

Car Guy
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
What's the issue...???

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

fireguyrick
05-17-2007, 11:00 PM
I would prefer to keep the issue to PM just to be safe for the moment.

Rick

Reverend Cooper
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
rick if worse comes to worse call my friend jason burton at 2281450 ask for chevy service and him by name. tell him Coop said to call and he will help in any way he can ok

fireguyrick
05-17-2007, 11:08 PM
rick if worse comes to worse call my friend jason burton at 2281450 ask for chevy service and him by name. tell him Coop said to call and he will help in any way he can ok

Thanks, if it comes to that I will.

Rick

300pny
05-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Whats the super secret issue?

fireguyrick
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, the issue is this: The battery has been discharging over the last few weeks. I have trickle charged it twice and used a regular charger once. The longest it has lasted was 2 weeks or so. Nothing has been left on in the truck.

SO, I decided to take it to the dealership (I was thinking I had a bad battery), and we have only had the truck since last June/July. Well, the dealership calls me to tell me they have the source of the problem. Apparently it is the Sirius satellite reciever I have in the car. They said that it was drawing a current. I thought about it, and I doubt that is the issue. The reason I doubt that this is the issue is because the truck came STOCK with a XM recieiver. The sirius reciever is a direct plug and play with the STOCK wiring. How I see it is that the stock XM reciever would also be drawing a current. Not to mention that we have had the Sirius reciever in the truck since August, and it has only been the last month or so that I have had issues with the truck. When I mentioned the time that the Sirius reciever was in the truck the service guy said that it might have just shorted out somewhere.

What I REALLY think is going on is that they found an easy way to "fix" the issue and make $140 just to unplug a wiring harness.

Either way I am going into the dealership today (Friday) with the stock XM reciever, and I am going to demand that they show me that the stock reciever does NOT draw a current.

At this point it is not about the money so much, but more so that I do not want to have the truck's battery dying all the damn time.

Rick

Korndogg
05-18-2007, 12:21 AM
welcome to my world. I have had a parasitic draw in my truck for a long time now that I CAN NOT find at all. I've unplugged fuses, used multimeters, and also used test lights. I still cant find the damn problem....I trickle charge my truck every night just to be safe so I'm not late for work. I really need to find the problem.

Corvette Jabo
05-18-2007, 07:08 AM
On one of my Vetts I had an issue with a current drop and in a day or two I would not be able to start the engine. It turned out to be a leaking diode in the alternator.

I disconnected the negative cable to the battery and inserted a shunt between the cable and battery, then connected the shunt to my MultiMeter . I could then unplug fuses or components until the current draw dropped to 0.

I still have the shunt and meter, PM me and let me know if you want to stop over and test it quick. If it is easy to unplug the power source to the radio or you know which fuse it is on you can pull one fuse at a time, it will be quick to confirm if this is the current draw. I live in Muskego a few blocks away from the Pick n Save.
Jabo

Crawlin
05-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Pork's uncle is the one working on the T.B. SS

Just saw it yesterday that it was in, didn't know what the prob was. Sounds kinda crappy.

fly5150
05-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Pork's uncle is the one working on the T.B. SS

Just saw it yesterday that it was in, didn't know what the prob was. Sounds kinda crappy.

Watch out Rick, you might get your truck back with neons on it.
LOL

BAD LS1
05-18-2007, 09:24 AM
My aftermarket XM reciever in my Monte draws unless i unplug it. However when its wired into the vehicle from the factory, meaning it came with the 325$ XM option, its switched via the ignition... Not warranty.

Put an amp clamp on the pos cable with the truck off, and unplug that reciever and see if it drops... you should see about 1 amp static, that is keeping the ECM and radio memory.... newer cars can go dead if not driven for a long time, i let the monte sit for 2 weeks, battery was really weak.

Car Guy
05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Watch out Rick, you might get your truck back with neons on it.
LOL

:bling :bling :bling

fireguyrick
05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Yea the weird thing is that it works just fine, starts with out any issue, and then it will just up and not work. The truck is driven every day of the week, so it is just shocking to me that this little thing could kill the battery in less then 6 hours, considering that it has just been the last month or so the issue is occured.

Oh well, I suppose I am going to have to go waste $143.70

Rick

BAD LS1
05-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Yea the weird thing is that it works just fine, starts with out any issue, and then it will just up and not work. The truck is driven every day of the week, so it is just shocking to me that this little thing could kill the battery in less then 6 hours, considering that it has just been the last month or so the issue is occured.

Oh well, I suppose I am going to have to go waste $143.70

Rick

Hmm i wonder if the RAP (retained accesory power) is staying on? But that should shut off after 15 min...

The shunt or amp clamp is gonna be the only way to tell if its gotta massive disharge happening at certain time. For it to go away in 6 hours thats a healthy amp draw.

indyzmike
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
My 1999 suburban has been doing some wierd stuff too. It will be fine for a couple weeks and then, a totaly dead battery. I charge the battery, no lights or anything on to draw it down, and it will be fine again for a couple weeks. It's done this twice now.:flipoff2:

davidrab
05-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Interesting, probably not the same, but this guys SS keeps killing the battery
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=25826

I thought that new GM's had battery run down protection?

I can't believe that the receiver would draw enough overnight (or even over
a matter of days). I've left the radar detector on for more than a week.

Dave