PDA

View Full Version : Dealer stickers

Scales
05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Anyone know the best way to remove a dealer sticker w/o harming the paint? I've heard of guys using just a hair dryer, nail polish remover, lighter fluid, or rubbing alcohol (not combined). Anyone have any success with these? Also, anyone try any of the solvents you can get from the parts/hardware stores? On my last car, I used a razor blade and soapy water which worked fine. But that bumper already had scratches so I wasn't really worried about that. I'm looking for a less harmful approach this time...

LIL EVO
05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Hair dryer and a razor blade worked perfect on a jetski with 10 year old stickers.

Finish up the sticky stuff with Goo Gone or that tar and bug remover in a black bottle.

Slow Joe
05-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Don't use a metal razor blade...

Get a Plastic Razor Blade, a Hair Dryer and some Goo Gone... You'll Be Set...

pickardracing
05-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Hair dryer probably wont get hot enough. A razor blade in the wrong hands will do more damage than good.

Get a HEAT gun, not a blowdryer. Get it hot, peel a corner off with your fingernail and slowly pull. As long as it's hot it should come right off, depending on the type of material the sticker is.

A B4C Z
05-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Hair dryer and paint thinner NOT LAQUER thinner. Works best for me. If its like a emblem sticker i would then use Dental floss behind the emblem and then paint thinner.

Kyle

pOrk
05-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I have a heat gun you can use, hell just swing by and I will pull it off for you.

SSScottSS
05-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Last summer I took all the stripes off my SS using an eraser wheel. It works great!!!!! I was skeptical at first thinking it would scratch up my black paint, but it didn't. You should be able to get one at any automotive paint store. Put it in the drill and have fun removing the stickers, it works really quickly

Car Guy
05-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Last summer I took all the stripes off my SS using an eraser wheel. It works great!!!!! I was skeptical at first thinking it would scratch up my black paint, but it didn't. You should be able to get one at any automotive paint store. Put it in the drill and have fun removing the stickers, it works really quickly

Took the words right out of my mouth.......:stare

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Scales
05-16-2007, 04:48 AM
I have a heat gun you can use, hell just swing by and I will pull it off for you.

PM sent

Silver350
05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
You can use 3M adhisive remover, I have used that on my truck I i didnt see it take off any paint. also you could use lighter fluid. I used that when taking off the Lakeland sticker on the back of my dads truck.

u_say_go
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM
ink jet wash:rolf

300pny
05-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Make the dealer do it before you buy it

Reverend Cooper
05-17-2007, 11:20 PM
just a fingernail if your good

ProjectTwo
05-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Second that. It is the best method. Takes only a few seconds and it does no damage to the paint whatsoever.

TransAm12sec
05-20-2007, 01:31 AM
The process at the dealership I work at is to use a heat gun; holding it 10 inches away and never keeping it in the same spot. The paint will melt if the gun does not move for a certain amount of time. I've never found out how long tha takes, though. Some stickers take just a few seconds to get off with a fingernail, while others will take 20 or so seconds with the heat gun.

Lacquer thinner is then used to get the residue off, which we also referred to as prep solve.

GRAMPS SS
05-20-2007, 10:14 AM
i used mineral sprits to remove the dealer sticker and my stripes on my SS....took them right off , glue and all...no damage to the paint job...JMO

Lash
05-20-2007, 10:20 AM
IMO....somebody who does not know a lot about paint should not be applying a heat gun to it...lol. Especially when 'scraping' at it soon after the heat is applied. That's just a problem waiting to happen.

Use and eraser wheel or some adhesive remover.

xxsn0blindxx
05-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I have always just used a hair dryer and a plastic putty knife to get the sticker off and then goo gone to remove the residue. I then polish the entire area since the paint not covered by the sticker will be more oxidized. This has worked great for me, in fact I just did it on my fiance's car a couple weeks ago. A heat gun and paint thinners are way overkill and can be harmful to the paint.

BadAzzGTA89
05-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I say heat gun also has worked many times for me with a plastic razor!