PDA

View Full Version : local paint shop to paint hood and stripes!?!

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
hey guys, i am planning on ordering a new cervini hood for my car. when i do this i am going to pull the cheesy vinyl stripes off and have them painted. i was wondering where you guys would recommend having the painting not only of the hood done, but also the stripes. i am going to go with 10" stripes from front to back. here is a pic of the hood, my stripes will be pretty similar but they won't have that extra pinstripe along the side. thanks in advance:thumbsup

https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=1171(820x549).jpg

Poncho
05-15-2007, 12:49 PM
paint it red and sell it to me, for my mustang.

Josepy
05-15-2007, 01:00 PM
hey guys, i am planning on ordering a new cervini hood for my car. when i do this i am going to pull the cheesy vinyl stripes off and have them painted. i was wondering where you guys would recommend having the painting not only of the hood done, but also the stripes. i am going to go with 10" stripes from front to back. here is a pic of the hood, my stripes will be pretty similar but they won't have that extra pinstripe along the side. thanks in advance:thumbsup

https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=1171(820x549).jpg

Crystal Auto Body 414-355-6647
I personally know them and will vouch for them.
Ask for Big Bob. Tell them Joe sent ya.

Poncho
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
fwiw, stripes are really expensive to do.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2007, 01:04 PM
do you think that there will be any problems painting the stripes underneath the hood openings like in the pic?. i have zero knowledge of any painting that does not require a cup of water and a coloring book with numbered squares.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
fwiw, stripes are really expensive to do.

yeah, i know. the vinyl stripes really bug me though. the stripes under my hood scoop are tearing from the scoop catching air, and the rear stripe is impossible to keep clean. not to mention painted ones would be a lot cooler:headbang

Josepy
05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
do you think that there will be any problems painting the stripes underneath the hood openings like in the pic?. i have zero knowledge of any painting that does not require a cup of water and a coloring book with numbered squares.

I dont know. You would have to send them the pic. Im sure they could do it. There pretty good. They have done some prettt gnarly paint jobs.

GRNDNL
05-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Figure 3k or so for the stripes (pull both bumper covers, pull W/S and Back Glass, R&I all the trim, prep, layout stripes ect....) another 1k to paint the hood and blend the fenders, all the Cervini hoods (they're one of the better ones) I've seen need 10 or so hours prep, so figure another $200-$300 for that......

How much do you really hate the Vinyl Stripes?.... :shades

Cryptic
05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Please give Bill Zinovi a call @ 414-762-2265
Zinovi Auto Salon in South Milwaukee (next to Cooper Power)

He'll be a sponsor of BCM soon. I've toured his shop and seen his work. I was impressed with his facilities and work.

Car Guy
05-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Please give Bill Zinovi a call @ 414-762-2265
Zinovi Auto Salon in South Milwaukee (next to Cooper Power)

He'll be a sponsor of BCM soon. I've toured his shop and seen his work. I was impressed with his facilities and work.

(Dammit, you beat me to it...!!!)

I second that recommendation, I stopped in and got a tour of the place also. He was a super nice guy, really knows his sh*t, has one of the nicest/cleanest shops around, and best of all he's the only one that does the actual painting.....how often do you see that...??? :thumbsup

If you're not familiar with South Milwaukee it might be a little tricky finding the shop but once you come up on it you'll know right away which one it is. It's like finding a diamond in a pile of dog sh*t because there are so many other buildings in that area that could use a little TLC. It really sticks out like a sore thumb, but in a good way.....

Give him a call, you won't be disappointed.....

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

BAD LS1
05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Another vote for Crystal or Keith.

07ROUSHSTG3
05-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Figure 3k or so for the stripes (pull both bumper covers, pull W/S and Back Glass, R&I all the trim, prep, layout stripes ect....) another 1k to paint the hood and blend the fenders, all the Cervini hoods (they're one of the better ones) I've seen need 10 or so hours prep, so figure another $200-$300 for that......

How much do you really hate the Vinyl Stripes?.... :shades

a lot:thumbsup

pOrk
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
3 grand? Hardly.

Call Crash, he painted the truck pictured here:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/Crash/chadsdually.jpg

Rally stripes are no problem at all

Cryptic
05-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Crash, GRNDNL, Zivoni.... there's alot of talent to choose from, certainly

Breecher_7
05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
dont mean to hi-jack but i need a place to do a set of race fairings for me to.......doesnt have to be near show quality, decent will do.

Breecher_7
05-15-2007, 07:27 PM
3 grand really isnt that far off if its done right..... Ive seen plenty of 15K single color paint jobs..... Small details are what it comes down to......

Yooformula
05-15-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm a little biased towards Keith aka GRNDNL over at Car Craft, thats where every paint job is going that I need otherwise Crash as he has done great work also.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/Yooformula/DSC0001.jpg

pOrk
05-16-2007, 12:04 AM
^ That picture is bad ass

kenseth17
05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I paint a few cars a year on the side also. I'd probably be around 2 grand (but I don't have a booth or all the overhead body shops do) for complete and stripes, base/ 3 coats of clear, remove most of the easier trim and moldings, ect. assuming no real bodywork is needed, hood is good fit and normal prep, and the existing paint is in good enough shape to paint over. Wetsand and buff after. But really depends on line of base and the price code the colors fall into. But if you knew the cost of materials, the time involved to do proper prep and mask off for stripes, and the overhead a shop has, you will realize why bodyshops costs are like they are. If your going front to back with stripes, if you blend into adjacent panels at all for color match, your just about a complete anyways. Probably only would really need to possibly blend into the fender tops though with color and clear them and hood, bumpers, decklid and roof.

Heat Seeker WS6
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Crystal Auto Body 414-355-6647
I personally know them and will vouch for them.
Ask for Big Bob. Tell them Joe sent ya.

Exactly what he said :headbang

If most of you remember the nasty dent that was in my pass qtr panel. Crystal had that perfectly REPAIRED in 8 hours working time :wooo

GRAMPS SS
05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
my vote is for bob at crystal.......

pOrk
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM
3 grand really isnt that far off if its done right..... Ive seen plenty of 15K single color paint jobs..... Small details are what it comes down to......

You can pay 30 grand too to paint a car too, but will you? 3 grand is rediculous for the little amount of work that needs to be done here in my personal opinion.

And what is that other guy talking about, blending into the fenders? WHAT? There is absolutly no need to blend clear coat, you shoot the entire hood, roof, deck lid, and bumper covers. There is no blending.

kenseth17
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
I assumed he was buying a new hood, if the mixed color isn't an exact match, you blend color into the fender tops, and clear the whole fenders. Of course you would do a sprayout. Said possibly depending how good a match the mixed paint is. You just paint the hood, and color is not right on, it will be easy to pick out the difference between the two. The roof, bumpers, and decklid should already have color on them so you wetsand them, paint the stripe on and then clear those. But your the expert.

Lash
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
I assumed he was buying a new hood, if the mixed color isn't an exact match, you blend color into the fender tops, and clear the whole fenders. Of course you would do a sprayout. Said possibly depending how good a match the mixed paint is. You just paint the hood, and color is not right on, it will be easy to pick out the difference between the two. The roof, bumpers, and decklid should already have color on them so you wetsand them, paint the stripe on and then clear those. But your the expert.

LOL

x2 :thumbsup

pOrk
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM

I missed the part about replacing the hood, I thought he just wanted the stripes painted on. Either way, 3 grand is way too much for less then a weeks worth of work.