PDA

View Full Version : work out fitness guru's....

hrsp
05-12-2007, 07:31 PM
what the hell are you guys eating????

when do you guys eat?

how often do you eat?

when go you guys work out?? morning or evening?

btw..i'm trying to "cut fat" from my frame....any suggestions?

nismodave
05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I know Im out of shape right now, but when Im not being lazy, and want to lose wieght I do this........I lost 25 pnds last fall doing this.

1- 3 good meals a day.......Cut down on your carbs and sugars......dont eat after 7 pm.......Boiled/Grilled Chicken, tuna, vegatables, turkey, when you do eat.

2- Drink lots of water.....

3- Take a daily men suppliment........I take GNCs Mega Men, has all the Vitamins us guys need.

4- No sugar soda.......Cut down on fruit juices.........Cutting those out helped me out alot.

5-Work out......I do at least 35 min of cardio 5 days a week.......When Im on my program. I work out at night because I start work early in the day......But If you can work out in the morn, its better.

Do those things and you will see results.

hrsp
05-12-2007, 07:44 PM
my whole thing is i LOVE EATING right before bed...i know its bad but it feels so good!!!lol

also i'm not overweight by anymean..just wanna get back in the shape i was when i was 18....

nismodave
05-12-2007, 07:45 PM
my whole thing is i LOVE EATING right before bed...i know its bad but it feels so good!!!lol

also i'm not overweight by anymean..just wanna get back in the shape i was when i was 18....

Then eat a big ass salad, if you cant stop eating b4 bed.

wikked
05-12-2007, 07:49 PM
It's actually better if you eat 5 smaller meals a day, than eating 3 larger meals.
Keeps the metabolism working constantly.

Like Dave said though, try not to eat after 7, that won't help ya.
No fast food/pizzas/etc. :(
Booze really isn't helping things either, but who can resist that sweet sweet alcohol.
That's my downfall I think. I only drink like once a week, but still, probably cancels out any good I've done up until that point :goof

hrsp
05-12-2007, 07:56 PM
i've cut back on my fatsfood intake to once a week...from 5 days a week..lol

also trying to cut back on my soda....

when i was 18 i could eat what i wanted and didnt have an ounce of fat on me...4 years later....getting old sucks...lol

PureSound15
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
When you work out is completely up to you and your body, you'll figure out which works best for you just by trying a couple different times. I, for example, love working out in the morning because I'm energized the entire day. I find that if i work out too late at night, I have a hard time falling asleep.

Eating is a huge thing, 5 meals a day is awesome, if you're hungry grab a protein shake or a meal replacement bar of some sort. Citrus is a hunger surpresent, if I eat a meal and I'm still hungry after I'll drink a glass of orange juice and I'm usually good.

Lifting weights will only help you to lose weight in a noticeable fashion if you work out hard! Don't take 5 minutes breaks between sets, keep them to a minute or less. Keep your reps up and the weight down in order to keep your energy and heart rate up. In the past 2 months I have been cutting (after a bulking period) and I play racquetball for an hour and a half every day rather than running on a treadmill.

Go to the grocery store when you're NOT hungry (to keep you from overspending). My favorite meal right now is some wholegrain white bread, smoked turkey and provolone cheese, a bowl of applesauce and some kind of veggie.

Dave mentioned water and thats is a great point. Not only does it keep you from being "hungry" all the time, but proper hydration keep your body fueled in addition to your proper eating and cardio workouts.

Brian98GTP
05-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Well I'm no fitness guru but I swear, there isnt an hour that goes by while I'm awake where Im not snacking on something. I usually dont eat a ton of food at one sitting, but I'm constantly grazing throughout the day.
I'm just a scrawny 165 lbs. and have been that way since high school, but everybody always says its a lot better than eating 3 big meals a day.... something about keeping your metabolism up.

Oh yeah, and I drink a ton of alcohol :thumbsup

hrsp
05-12-2007, 08:10 PM
i go between 195-200 pounds..and i'm 5 10-5'11

i was told to walk or jag a fewmiles a day to cut some fat...

i dont wanna loose aton of weight just wanna tone back up....

hrsp
05-12-2007, 08:11 PM
oh i dont drink much alchol either

moels
05-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I agree with you guys on the 5 or even 6 small meals to get the metabolism working again. Lots of water to help flush toxins and keep hydrated. Mixture of cardio and weights. Puresound said it best about low weight high reps and maintaining the workiout without big rests. I workout regularly and my upper body and legs are good, but was having trouble losing the gut I bought and paid for. Decided this last week actually to abstain from alcohol and try to eat better than I have been. I feel better already.

Yooformula
05-12-2007, 08:27 PM
the easiest yet hardest thing for newbies is WATER and cutting out all carbonated bevs. Based on your weight, you should comsume at least a gallon of water a day. To test this, carry a gallon jug and drink until its done then adjust from there. cut back on all processed carbs and between the 2 you will see at least 10lbs of fat within 3 weeks. switch to whole grain bread and plenty of sliced turkey and grilled chicken. The 2 easiest things to eat to "shock" the body into growing and losing is eggs and tuna all day. They fill you up and give you plenty of protein plus they dont get as boring as chicken.

The best way to jump start your cardio is to do them AFTER you get your heart rate up with weights. Pretty much everything Ryan said is key!

hrsp
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
i gallon of water...damn... i'll try it

moels
05-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Throughout the day, a gallon of water isn't that much at all. i just fill my 16 ounce bottle throughout the day and when I add up how many I fill and drink, I am amazed.

Yooformula
05-12-2007, 08:42 PM
remember that is you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

moels
05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I do get very dehydrated at work. I work in a steel mill and sweat alot. I have to drink more water than most to keep hydrated. My off days obviously my water intake is a bit lower, but I still do at least a gallon.

Prince Valiant
05-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Burn more calories than you ingest :)

What I tell people is this:

If you want to "burn" fat, the key is to do low intensity exercise with long duration. You use too much intensity and your body has to look to glycogen (IE carb sourced energy) to provied the counterpart for o2 consumption (IE, you are breathing "hard" during your workout. Whereas, keep it easy and your body can source it's energy from a lower o2 using fuel supply, IE fat.

The level of intensity of exercise should of course increase your breathing rate...but not to the point to where you can't converse.

As far as eating goes, really, I say eat the things you like...just less of it. Instead, increase the amounts of food that are low calorie density such as green beans, carrots, brocoli, asperagus...and the like. This will allow you to continue to feel full, without giving you too many calories. I also emphasize larger breakfast's too...but use a bran ceral to increase the amount of food, as it too has low calorie density,and is slowly processed so as to keep you feeling full longer.

If you like eating late, again, a bran cereal is a better choice for such.

Other suggestions like wt lifting, small meals, drinking water are all helpful suggestions too, but the most important is the above.

And yes, I do this for a living.

moels
05-12-2007, 09:06 PM
^^^^ I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks for the good info.

70challenger452
05-12-2007, 11:04 PM
i gallon of water...damn... i'll try it

I carry a gallon of water around with me all day at school. And wicked nailed it on the head, miltuple amounts of smaller meals is what works. When it comes to working out, yeah you want to focus on eating right and training but the most important thing about working out is pushing yourself and always staying with it. My way of pushing myself is getting pissed off but thats just me. Pushing yourself is everything

Brandon W.
05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
i remember getting in shape for football. my freshmen year for example. my diet was Horrible..i was only eating 1 meal a day and running about 3-4 miles a day at practice. i would only eat 3 meals on weekends. and even then they were small. ive started the diet again. although im eating 2 meals a day, im still running the track all 4th period (adv. fitness class). im going for the 180lb range incase i decide to play football again. and at a 203lbs ive got a ways to go.but its beter then the 221 i weighed at the start of 3rd Term....i would say to eat the 3-5 meals just lower portions and lots and lots of water. something that helps me on those long jogs is dont think about the distance. just let your mind wander and the next thing you'll know you will be done.

TransAm12sec
05-12-2007, 11:43 PM
I just do pushups before dinner. I was told gets more blood flowing to your stomach, which makes the food easier to digest.

hrsp
05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
putting on mass is no problem for me....its "toning" that i want to achieve now that i'm at my desired weight(close to it)

thanks guys i'm gonna stop soda and drink more water and add some cardo...
and try and stop eating before bed

70challenger452
05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
putting on mass is no problem for me....its "toning" that i want to achieve now that i'm at my desired weight(close to it)

thanks guys i'm gonna stop soda and drink more water and add some cardo...
and try and stop eating before bed

drinking soda is not a problem for me, I'm poor and have thirsty vehivles

dr doom
05-13-2007, 08:59 AM
well since all i do is train and train hard 6 days a week, i will give you some insight. some of the prior posts have good ideas and some well, they just dont. first off, DONT go to GNC. Never buy supplements or vitamins from someone in a dress shirt and tie. Either go to Natural High or Results. A good multi vitamin is always a good idea. since your goal seems to be getting toned, you might want to look into getting on a thermogenic, example ALR Industries Venom Hyperdrive 3.0.
As far as helping get toned workout wise, cardio is going to be the key here. stationary bike, elliptical, jogging, or a fast paced walk will be good. The elliptical will be the lowest impact and you can set most up to a simple program. time wise the optimal amount of cardio is 45 minutes, and this would be post workout.
Weight lifting you want to change things up, like one week you will want to work on higher reps: 10 to 12 that will help hit the fast twitch muslce groups.
the next week maybe use low reps (4 to 6) and heavy weight. this will help you with putting on muscle. Also work 1 or 2 muscle groups a day.
As for diet, you really need to stay away from deep fried foods and simple sugars. Heres a breakdown of a diet as an example.
Breakfast
4 egg whites 1 whole egg
1 cup of natural granola or oatmeal( not the instant flavored stuff)

mid morning
1 piece of fruit
low fat yogurt or cottage cheese

lunch
brown rice,lean ground turkey or chicken and california blend veggies

mid afternoon
1 piece of fruit
1 piece of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter

Dinner (post workout meal)
tuna, steamed chicken, lean ground turkey or chicken any of these
fresh spinach
green beans
broccolli
10 to 14 almonds

During your workout sip on some whey protien and gatorade, this will help control your insulin spike and keep you burning fat.
you can also introduce carb depleat days, this is basically cutting your carbs in half for a day which then keeps your metabolism up and helps burn fat.

if you have any questions pm me.

GRM-REPR
05-13-2007, 04:01 PM
well since all i do is train and train hard 6 days a week, i will give you some insight. some of the prior posts have good ideas and some well, they just dont. first off, DONT go to GNC. Never buy supplements or vitamins from someone in a dress shirt and tie. Either go to Natural High or Results. A good multi vitamin is always a good idea. since your goal seems to be getting toned, you might want to look into getting on a thermogenic, example ALR Industries Venom Hyperdrive 3.0.
As far as helping get toned workout wise, cardio is going to be the key here. stationary bike, elliptical, jogging, or a fast paced walk will be good. The elliptical will be the lowest impact and you can set most up to a simple program. time wise the optimal amount of cardio is 45 minutes, and this would be post workout.
Weight lifting you want to change things up, like one week you will want to work on higher reps: 10 to 12 that will help hit the fast twitch muslce groups.
the next week maybe use low reps (4 to 6) and heavy weight. this will help you with putting on muscle. Also work 1 or 2 muscle groups a day.
As for diet, you really need to stay away from deep fried foods and simple sugars. Heres a breakdown of a diet as an example.
Breakfast
4 egg whites 1 whole egg
1 cup of natural granola or oatmeal( not the instant flavored stuff)

mid morning
1 piece of fruit
low fat yogurt or cottage cheese

lunch
brown rice,lean ground turkey or chicken and california blend veggies

mid afternoon
1 piece of fruit
1 piece of whole wheat bread with natural peanut butter

Dinner (post workout meal)
tuna, steamed chicken, lean ground turkey or chicken any of these
fresh spinach
green beans
broccolli
10 to 14 almonds

During your workout sip on some whey protien and gatorade, this will help control your insulin spike and keep you burning fat.
you can also introduce carb depleat days, this is basically cutting your carbs in half for a day which then keeps your metabolism up and helps burn fat.

if you have any questions pm me.

Agreed, Doom.:headbang

PureSound15
05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I agree with not buying anything from GNC, however I think your reasoning is preposterous. Unless you have a subliminal message wrapped up in the dress shirt and tie comment, I'll resent it being that I worked there for a short while way back in the day, as does one of my roommates currently.

The reason not to buy from GNC is because of the pricing, it's ridiculous when compared to allstarhealth.com and every other supplement wholesaler. If simply referring to the ignorance of the staff, that is a ignorant statement in of itself. Sure, there are some guys that work there who are huge (thanks to pro-hormone or whatever the hell else that they're on) and only work there because the manager needed a body to fill some hours and look like they grew by taking everything at GNC. They do have a training program that teaches A LOT about everything that they carry, it's up to the manager to make sure that the employee does what he/she is supposed to do in order to follow that program.

I have talked to some very intelligent people that work at GNC, and if you are able to find someone who is there to sell you what you need rather than selling you what they make the most money on - you're good! That advice is far too general.

I do agree with doing 1 or 2 muscle groups a day, and if you're spending more than an hour in the weight room itself, you're wasting too much time.

GRM-REPR
05-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with not buying anything from GNC, however I think your reasoning is preposterous. Unless you have a subliminal message wrapped up in the dress shirt and tie comment, I'll resent it being that I worked there for a short while way back in the day, as does one of my roommates currently.

The reason not to buy from GNC is because of the pricing, it's ridiculous when compared to allstarhealth.com and every other supplement wholesaler. If simply referring to the ignorance of the staff, that is a ignorant statement in of itself. Sure, there are some guys that work there who are huge (thanks to pro-hormone or whatever the hell else that they're on) and only work there because the manager needed a body to fill some hours and look like they grew by taking everything at GNC. They do have a training program that teaches A LOT about everything that they carry, it's up to the manager to make sure that the employee does what he/she is supposed to do in order to follow that program.

I have talked to some very intelligent people that work at GNC, and if you are able to find someone who is there to sell you what you need rather than selling you what they make the most money on - you're good! That advice is far too general.

I do agree with doing 1 or 2 muscle groups a day, and if you're spending more than an hour in the weight room itself, you're wasting too much time.

You can say what you will about GNC, they are over-priced, and Doom mentioned Results and N.H because they are wholesale priced stores (same prices as the net offers) and they only employ people who are knowledgeable about exercise, fitness, and supplementation. GNC trains people to say what you want to hear? The first time I went in there (when I was young and stupid), they did just that. The person who started this thread asked specific questions, Dr. Doom and I are huge into working out and supplementation, Doom in a round-about way is saying, "Stay away from GNC if you want to do things right."

Granted GNC does offer good products, problems are that the people who aren't experienced in fitness see a GNC commercial plugged by Chuck Liddel (Xience), they go to any GNC and get ripped off and get low advice about how to even use the product.

Go talk to Nick at Results, Highway 108 and Layton in the strip mall, they only sell what works.

Good thread.

dr doom
05-13-2007, 06:12 PM

the reason for not buying from GNC is because they are over priced and have next to no knowledge of what they sell. I can guarantee you go in to Results on HWY 100 next to omega and Any one of the guys in there wont sell you anything that you dont need and that wont work. also if you would like more intelegent info.....this goes for anyone one on here check out www.ironforlife.com

PureSound15
05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
GNC trains people to say what you want to hear?

In my years of lifting and fighting I have never bought anything at GNC. My only frustration with your point is that it isn't GNC as a whole that you've dealt with to create such a shitty impression. GNC Employees are not told what to sell or how to sell it at all otherthan pushing multi's (because they make a lot of money on them) and even so, convincing someone to take a mutli is hardly a bad thing (but for the fact that GNC is again, overpriced.

Thats kind of like someone saying that all used car salesman are douche bags, sure every one of them on here is a :goof , but it holds little truth, merely a stereotype.

It's more about WHO you're talking to than where you're at (with pricing left out of it). I once had a lady at Vitamin Shoppe tell me that I should be taking a Diuretic during my creatine cycle :rolf .

HP ADDICT
05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
As mentioned above cardio is key for losing weight, but adding muscle is a great booster. Muscle will help you burn more fat even when you are not at the gym. I am not to big on taking a ton of supplements myself but they can work very well if you take the thermogenics/energy boosters when your not really in the mood for working out. They also supress appetite. I like to hit weights after warming up with cardio. This also stimulates the burning of fat instead of muscle. The human body is simple and loves to store fat for survival stimulating muscle mass will tell your body that its necessary and trigger a better fat burn.

70challenger452
05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
As mentioned above cardio is key for losing weight, but adding muscle is a great booster. Muscle will help you burn more fat even when you are not at the gym. I am not to big on taking a ton of supplements myself but they can work very well if you take the thermogenics/energy boosters when your not really in the mood for working out. They also supress appetite. I like to hit weights after warming up with cardio. This also stimulates the burning of fat instead of muscle. The human body is simple and loves to store fat for survival stimulating muscle mass will tell your body that its necessary and trigger a better fat burn.

I was never a big fan of taking supplements to but then I tried Cell-Mass for a couple weeks and really noticed a difference. And Warming up with cardio then hitting the weights is the way to go, it gets all the blood pumping so your all warmed up and ready to go.

GRM-REPR
05-13-2007, 11:58 PM
In my years of lifting and fighting I have never bought anything at GNC. My only frustration with your point is that it isn't GNC as a whole that you've dealt with to create such a shitty impression.

First off this is off point, I don't care about GNC, their employees, or the fact that you have worked there. MY point simply was that Dr. Doom has a good outline and was making a side-point about avoiding GNC. I would suggest that you get over your "frustration" and offer some helpful advice to the creator of the thread instead.

I don't know how long you have been playing in the iron game, but I have been for many years, and the first rookie mistake is going to GNC. It was wise for Doom to point out the avoidance of such a store because I wish someone years ago would've done the same for me. Two very great places were named, and can provide a good stepping stone for him.

As far as supplements go, of course you don't have to use them, but they provide an advantage to the growth process and speeds it up. Hell, some of the directions on the bottle are not even accurate as how to use the product, thus, proper knowledge is required before following any exercise, or supplementation program.

I'm done on here, good luck on your goals.

GRM-REPR
05-14-2007, 12:03 AM
I was never a big fan of taking supplements to but then I tried Cell-Mass for a couple weeks and really noticed a difference. And Warming up with cardio then hitting the weights is the way to go, it gets all the blood pumping so your all warmed up and ready to go.

Good point; however, building muscle burns more fat than cardio ever can. The building of muscle burns fat away more efficiently than running, jogging, you name it.

When someone does too much cardio (the technical term is called a Cardio Nut), they actually put their body into a catabolic state (wasting and burning away muscle from the body), and it actually is very dangerous. With that in mind, he needs to do trial and error to see what he likes, to tone, just some cardio, no more than a couple of hours a week and light weight, high rep fitness. To be realistic, he really doesn't need any supps at all:thumbsup