PDA

View Full Version : Security Code Question - Grand Am GT

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
My buddy has a 1994 Grand Am GT. His car starts but will only run for 10 seconds. We think it is due to the security code which he doesn't have. If I have the VIN number would anyone who works for a Chevy Dealer be able to retrieve the Security Code, or is he SOL. Anyone on here that could do that for me?

Thanks,
Steve

Cryptic
05-11-2007, 03:00 PM
is it a replacement key?

My grand prix will kill couple seconds after I start it without the proper key

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
His engine blew and he swapped engines. The key, ECU and radio are the same. He starts the car and the security light comes on and the car dies after 10 seconds. It is a 1994 and doesnt have the security chip in the key. I figured it might have to do with the radio since he doesn't have that code anymore.

Thanks,
Steve

lilws6
05-11-2007, 03:49 PM
The radio code will do nothign for starting the car i'm preety shure. does the car have keyless entry?

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I wasn't sure if the Radio Code would or not fix the problem. The Dealer told him he needed his whole ECU reporgrammed which would cost $500. I think he has keyless entry, I am trying to find out from him.

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I found this:

Are you saying that the car dies after 10 seconds? If you are then the system has detected that someone has tried or is trying to steal the car and that is what the passlock system does. I will tell you from experience what I would do but caution you that you are doing this of your own free will and that I am not liable for any damage you might do to your car by doing so. Anyway, it isn't rocket science or even dangerous I just feel obligated to free myself from responsibility for negative outcomes. Here what you do: When you try to start the car it will usually start for a few seconds then die. When it does this leave the cars ignition switch in the "run" position for 11minutes. (NOT THE CRANK POSITION BUT RUN. The theft light will continue to blink on the dash, provided you used the dash too.) Really you have to only leave it on for 10 minutes but 11 minutes will ensure you got a good 10 minutes on. If you have one of those grand am's that have the lights on anytime the key is on this could run down your battery. To solve this problem click your emergency brake on a few clicks until the headlights go off. After 11 minutes you should be able to start your car. If this doesn't work, try again. Good luck

Lash
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Sometimes I think if you swap those motor you have to swap the ECU with it. Is it a 4 cyl or a V-6? I'm assuming it's a 3.1 V-6 because it's a GT??????

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Yes, that is correct. He could talk with the guy about swapping ECU's, if that is possible. He is going to give the passcode fix a try. If that doesn't work, I think he is going to the dealer.

Lash
05-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Well...I can tell you that whenever you order a reconditioned/used ECU/PCM you have to have it reprogramed using you vin number. Did he swap the PCM thats under the hood along with the motor (not the one under the dash)?
I'm a member of a few Grand Am forums so I'll ask for ya.

Undertaker
05-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Cool, thank you for asking around. He swapped the engine only. Everything else remains.....wiring, ecu, etc... I guess the engine they got didn't have an ECU. If they need that ECU, they might just have to get it reprogrammed.

lilws6
05-12-2007, 08:34 PM
cuz if it has keyless i would try to press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a while and the light should stop blinking or the car should be able to start i had this happen in my cavalier it was a 99 tho so i'm just going on a guess that this is what happened. yanking the bettery can cause this as well

Undertaker
05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. He found out it was a bad fuel pressure sensor. He replaced that and it was good to go.