PDA

View Full Version : What do any of you know about FuelieHeads?

Nix
05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Exactly what the title says, Im looking for the history I know that Crane Cams made them for GM years back and put them on 350's, the plugs were angled side ways and not straight like your typical head.

Only reason I ask is because the 350 in my brothers TA that I sold him has a 68' Block from a Camaro and it has the Fuelie Heads on it and Im just curious about them, also I herd that they can handle a ton and you can throw everything at them including the kitchen sink.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup

Thanks in advance,

Nick S.

juicedimpss
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Exactly what the title says, Im looking for the history I know that Crane Cams made them for GM years back and put them on 350's, the plugs were angled side ways and not straight like your typical head.

Only reason I ask is because the 350 in my brothers TA that I sold him has a 68' Block from a Camaro and it has the Fuelie Heads on it and Im just curious about them, also I herd that they can handle a ton and you can throw everything at them including the kitchen sink.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup

Thanks in advance,

Nick S.

the angle plug fuelies were also known as "turbo" castings,based off early bowtie designs.casting number ended with "292"
the latest vortech heads still flow better with smaller valves than those.
they were the cylinder head to have back in the day.

Corvette Jabo
05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Here is a little toilet reading material:
For '62 Chevrolet's new hot motor, the 327 (the first small-block with a four-inch bore) packed a wallop. Besides the carbureted versions, a fuel-injected 327 with 360 hp was optional in the '62 Corvette. The cylinder heads used on this engine (and some others of the era) were the 3782461X head with 1.94/1.50-inch valves. These heads had the commonly found double-hump shape on the end of the head. It should be noted that beginning in '64 and through '68, cylinder heads with the double-hump shape also used 2.02-inch intake valves (aka fuelie heads). Castings with 2.02-inch intake valves were also used on the 365hp (Holley carburetion) and 375hp (Rochester fuel-injection) Corvette 327 engines. Except for some early truck applications, it would not be until '69 that all small-block cylinder heads would feature accessory mounting holes. The '67 model year had a lot of small-block excitement. First, the new 350 engines available in the Camaro debuted, and the special high-performance 302 Z/28 package Camaro was released. The 350ci engine with its 3.48-inch stroke and 4.00-inch bore provided good low-speed torque and power. The Camaro-only 350 engine (for '67) produced 295 hp from a two-bolt main block. Other passenger cars would have 350s beginning in '69.

The 302 Z28 engine is the smallest V-8 ever installed in a Camaro to date. It is also the only engine available new in any '67-69 Z28. Based on a 4.00-inch bore and a 3.00-inch stroke, the little engine made lots of power above 5,000 rpm and very little below. This engine's 290hp rating was very underrated. In stock trim, actual power was in the mid-300hp range. These engines were designed specifically to compete in SCCA road racing and came with a huge resume of hardcore race parts: a Holley 800-cfm carburetor, big-runner aluminum intake manifold, 2.02 heads, a high-lift mechanical camshaft (0.485-inch lift), 11:1 compression, full-floating wrist pins, a forged crankshaft, and more. Because the engine did not produce much torque and had such high rpm capability beyond 7,000 rpm, 302 Z28s were only offered with four-speed transmission and were not available with air conditioning. Chevrolet also sold several cross-ram-intake setups (two staggered four-barrel Holley carburetors) and special race camshafts for the early Z28s that helped the 302 gain even more high-rpm power. With some modifications these engines would easily produce power well above 400 horses (at very high rpm).

Cylinder-head flow rates of the era were marginal at best. A typical street/strip small-block with 2.02 cylinder heads would need extensive and expensive port work to produce impressive power from the small (by today's standards) ports. Furthermore, typical cylinder head modifications did not produce good low-speed torque, so performance cars would generally need very low rearend ratios to run in the 12s. Often a 3,500-pound car with a healthy small-block would need at least a 4.56 rearend ratio or lower to run quicker than 13s. This was often the reason many hot-rodders of the era would run big-block Chevrolet V-8s. Here, the higher torque levels (from longer strokes and lots of cubic inches) would mean a 3,500-pound car could run 12s with just 3.73 gears.