PDA

View Full Version : GN/T-Type Info Needed......

Car Guy
05-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm replacing the 'powermaster' brake system on my father's 87 GN and was wondering if I should use a different kind of brake fluid to possibly make the system last longer/perform better. The unit itself was not cheap and I was thinking a certain brand, maybe synthetic, or something else.....money is not as issue I just want to go the best route.....

Thanks in advance,
~Justin :thumbsup

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

GRNDNL
05-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Use Dot 3, change the fluid every year. 9 times out of 10 the problems are just the accumulator going bad. If you got a "rebuilt" unit from Autozone you'll most likely have to replace it 4 or 5 times before you get a good one.....:rolleyes:

Car Guy
05-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Use Dot 3, change the fluid every year. 9 times out of 10 the problems are just the accumulator going bad. If you got a "rebuilt" unit from Autozone you'll most likely have to replace it 4 or 5 times before you get a good one.....:rolleyes:

Well it wasn't from Autozone but it was from Bumper 2 Bumper, all the parts stores were pretty much selling the same rebuilt unit (different name = same company). What should you go with then if the ones you get through aftermarket don't hold up...?

Also, the one in my dad's is original with 29k on the ODO. I know it's more the age than anything but his master is leaking, and bad. Is there a rebuild kit, or is there someone out there that rebuilds the factory units...?

I'd hate to put this one in that I aleady have and it takes a sh*t.....:fire

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

GRNDNL
05-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I would just replace the Master Cyl and get a Accumulator to put on the shelf (you will need one sooner or later) if the one you have is good. Kirbans has new repo accumulators if you don't want to pay the $300 some people want for a NOS one.....

JohnnyT
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Buy a vacuum block from a Turbo Trans Am and convert to vacuum booster...

www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0405htp_buick_turbo_regal_master_power_brakes_inst all/