PDA

View Full Version : Buried power lines

u_say_go
05-03-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm planning on installing a fence soon so I called Digger's Hotline to have them mark my backyard for buried power, gas and cable lines. They came out today and wouldnt you know it, I've got power and cables lines buried RIGHT where I want to dig for post holes.
Question for you guys....how deep are those lines buried? Reason I ask is, the neighbor has a fence and there are about 5 lines sprayed on the ground (cable, gas, power) going right to his corner post.

nismodave
05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Move the fence.

u_say_go
05-03-2007, 10:06 PM
no doubt! last thing i need being the 'new guy' in the area is the label "THAT guy". I have other options with the fence, I'm just curious how the neighbor dug a hole for his fence post without hitting any of the lines. like i said, there are 5 lines painted on the ground going right to his post.

05caddyext
05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Call diggers hotline back and ask them how deep the lines are. If they know exactly where they are, and what they are, they should also know how deep in the ground they are.

2SLOW
05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
t.v. cable lines are only 6" under! don't ask me how i know:mad:

73Dustr
05-03-2007, 11:49 PM
I used to work at a sign shop and most of those lines are suppose* to be I believe at least 3 ft down, if not 4. Emphasis on the suppose to be. Your best bet would be just to dig slowly with a posthole digger near the lines. No sense in taking a chance with an electric or hydraulic auger. Plus I forget what Digger's accuracy is. I thought you are suppose to leave xxft on each side of their lines. Either move the fence, or play it safe with a posthole digger even if it'll take longer. I can't remember the exact depth, but just play it safe.

88Nightmare
05-03-2007, 11:54 PM
just erase the lines, dig there anyway, and if somethin gets ****ed up, blame diggers hotline for not marking it :D

HRSEPLA
05-04-2007, 07:17 AM
"Direct Bury" lines are usually about 3' down, Diggers Hotline will give you a mark and they legally get a buffer of 18" (They tell you 24") each way from their marking. They also will not (on record) give you a depth. I really think you should move the fence, or you may get the benefit of an "electric fence" lol.

UnderPSI
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Good guess everyone, Now having installed them I know they are between 18" and 24" Our company (WE Energies) rule is 24" but I have seen them at every possible level. It is not worth the risk of hitting it. Even worse, if your power goes out and the fault is under the fence, bye bye fence.

HRSEPLA
05-04-2007, 06:13 PM
weinergies

Matchew
05-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Well I'm a Fence Installer for a Local Company In Milwaukee and when we have to dig Hole on top a Lines we Dig them with hand digger with Wood Handles Very Slowly....

Power and Cable Line can be 36in down under ground and as close too just under the Grass Line... I have seen everything!!! Gas and Water Line are most of the time Down at Least 36+in under Ground.

Your best Bet would to be Move the fence Line over or Start Hand Digging and make sure your not putting a Chainlink Fence. Use Wood or Vinyl around Hot Line they dont conduct electric. Be Safe dont even Stick you Hand in the Hole to Pull a Root other wise you will get a Shock.

300pny
05-04-2007, 06:29 PM
no doubt! last thing i need being the 'new guy' in the area is the label "THAT guy". I have other options with the fence, I'm just curious how the neighbor dug a hole for his fence post without hitting any of the lines. like i said, there are 5 lines painted on the ground going right to his post.

He prob just got lucky

88Nightmare
05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
so even just touching a burried electrical line will zap you? I thought they were plastic coated or somethin. What about suspended power lines?

UnderPSI
05-04-2007, 10:54 PM
It is best to assume that everything IS NOT insulated. You have a better chance of living that way. :thumbsup

88Nightmare
05-04-2007, 10:59 PM
It is best to assume that everything IS NOT insulated. You have a better chance of living that way. :thumbsup

damn. Is one to also assume that there is enough power going through a burried power line to kill you on contact?

JohnnyT
05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
damn. Is one to also assume that there is enough power going through a burried power line to kill you on contact?

ABSOLUTELY!

Slow Joe
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM

Normally 220V or more and 100 AMP Plus service... (I believe, could be wrong) So yeah...

LIL EVO
05-05-2007, 12:54 AM
I got zapped plenty of times hooking up/disconnecting the wires from the lines/underground when doing service upgrades. Never got blown off a ladder or killed though. Definitely a feeling you don't forget.

u_say_go
05-05-2007, 07:57 AM
well, that does it, I've read enough to convince me to just move the fence a few feet in from the lot line....not worth getting zapped and dying just to keep my dog from crapping on the neighbors lawn. Thanks for the insight guys.
If there's anyone out there who really enjoys digging post holes, come on out monday or tuesday :thumbsup
thanks again ya'll

turbogarrett
05-05-2007, 03:03 PM
just erase the lines, dig there anyway, and if somethin gets ****ed up, blame diggers hotline for not marking it :D

haha, they will tell you outright that they are not responsible. We have come across unmarked cable, phone and gas piping while trenching after diggers hotline has been through. With underground service wires nearby, moving the post is a good decision. It doesn't take much to hurt or kill you, the energy available at any house receptacle is more than enough to kill you if it travels through your heart.

We energies is usually pretty good about burying their cables at the proper depth. Their field guys are great, office personnel/ customer service dept., I won't get into:rolleyes:

u_say_go
05-08-2007, 08:08 PM
fence posts are in! very last post hole I dug I knicked a cable tv line. I've got satelite so FTW

thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.

Mudd Runner
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM

Yea that would almost work except diggers hotline takes the ticket and sends it out to the locators and they locate it and thats why they have a huge thing they are required to say during the call so they are not liable...my old lady working in the in the call center ftw