PDA

View Full Version : Recieved my Header....... <------ yep no 'S

awsomeears
05-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I Just got my header in for the neon :headbang AFX is the maker for those that are neon owners :rolf ( just one on here I know of :rolf )

Anyways the ceramic coating on it is decent but im thinking of sandblasting the intire thing and then picking up some High Temp paint.

The way I look at it is that most if not all the people I know that got there header or header's ceramic coated or jethot coated always peeleed of in a few years so why even bother droping the $$$$.

Id rather buy some decent high temp rattle can and do a nice job and have it come off in a few years. But only spend $20 - $30

Color does not matter

What do you recomend ?

Thanks

- Brad -

stowsea
05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
do teh hightemp rattle can......pink

PonyKiller87
05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
The ceramic coating only peals if its done wrong or if you handle them before they are cured. Ive had mine coated for 3 years now with no problems. I think it was about $150 for the black race coating at Classic Coatings in Sheboygan. that was for 2 shorties so it would probably be less for a single header. Like I said, if you go this route, you have to wear gloves when you first put them on, then drive it to heat them up and cure the coating, then it lasts.

TURTLE
05-02-2007, 07:04 PM
afx headers are nice, but i'd question the coating... any pics?

i'm gonna try wrapping my kirk long tube that i've had on my silver neon for a while... see if it helps the low end losses between the header and the INDY manifold....

need any help putting it on? i'm getting good with the header installs... :goof

PonyKiller87
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
i'm gonna try wrapping my kirk long tube that i've had on my silver neon for a while... see if it helps the low end losses between the header and the INDY manifold....

I tried wrapping my headers before I went to the coating. Trust me when its done you will be pissed off and unhappy with the results of the wrap.

theavenger333
05-03-2007, 12:36 AM
when using temp paint brad, you'll also be disapointed. it takes a long time to do properly. i tried it once, sanded the header down, painted it, let it cure in plenty of time, it flaked off. i had it sandblasted, then painted it again, more coats, more cure time. came off. in order to do it properly, you need to have it blasted, get the expensive kind of paint, coat it, let it HARD cure, like 4 days, do another coat, same thing, etc. your best bet is powdercoating. the high temp paint is meant for engine blocks and such, almost any storebought can i read did NOT recommend it for exhaust pieces, they simply get too hot, a header especially.

TURTLE
05-03-2007, 11:19 AM
i've had really good luck with the wrap on my header for the 97 black neon i have..... works really good....

i'd love to get the stuff ceramic coated, but they're both driven cars... so i can't afford too much down time at this time of the season... probably get them done over winter though...

wheelsofsteel
05-03-2007, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=awsomeears;272574] just one on here I know of :rolf

I think there is more then one :shades

Prince Valiant
05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
I've used the stuff sold through summit...it worked well. Had to cook em' in the oven and it smelled funny in the house for a week or so. But the headers look good three years later.

btw, looking at a 95 acr coupe maybe this week...

TURTLE
05-03-2007, 01:32 PM
white coupe prince? i may know the original owner... nice car..

Prince Valiant
05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
white coupe prince? i may know the original owner... nice car..acutally yes. Haven't heard back yet from the current seller though :(