PDA

View Full Version : Back to the supercharging ?

mike90lxII
04-30-2007, 03:02 PM
I read this article with great interest. http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfs_070022_ford_compression_ratio/dyno_results.html

If tuned properly High compression and forced induction work well together.

Prince Valiant
04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Of course it does...but it's very difficult to just take a high compression engine and make it work with a blower...even when using alcohol inj/etc to prevent detonation.

If I was to do a blown/turbo'd engine, and I desired higher compression, I'd map out a build specifically to acheive that end.

Modern combustion chamber designs, intake port and combustion chambers promoting a swirl induction effect, long stroke, small bore deminsions and some specific chamber mods and piston, valve, and chamber coatings can all be utilized to help reduce the rattle on a high boost, high compression mill...just throwing boost at a basic high compression set-up isn't neccesarily going to work, even with careful tunning.

Goat Roper
04-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, it can be done, just alot more tuning and you have to start with one damned solid short block on top of a well designed top.

2SLOW
04-30-2007, 03:36 PM
don't wast your time with a high compression boosted combination. It will be very frustrating tiring not to get it to detonate.

300pny
04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Just research and go with it. If you do enough research and take your time you wont have any major issues.

hrsp
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Another Headache Thread Will Develop....

Cryptic
04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Of course it does...but it's very difficult to just take a high compression engine and make it work with a blower...even when using alcohol inj/etc to prevent detonation.

If I was to do a blown/turbo'd engine, and I desired higher compression, I'd map out a build specifically to acheive that end.

Modern combustion chamber designs, intake port and combustion chambers promoting a swirl induction effect, long stroke, small bore deminsions and some specific chamber mods and piston, valve, and chamber coatings can all be utilized to help reduce the rattle on a high boost, high compression mill...just throwing boost at a basic high compression set-up isn't neccesarily going to work, even with careful tunning.

X2 :goof

HRSEPLA
04-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Do it and keep us posted!:)

mike90lxII
04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Well the car is getting painted this week so I am still tossing around the Idea. I have a tuner down here I trust, whom I think is capable of getting the tune straight. I know it would be expensive to run race gas all the time, but most of the time I run a 50/50 mix of 104/93... just incase I want to run the bottle.

I do have a daily driver so I don't drive the car all the time maybe once or twice a week to work. Heck 8-10 psi should do wonders. I think I could get close to 500whp.

MurphysLaw88GT
04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
well, if you feel the NEED......boost teh shit out of it. If it works well after tuning, great! If it grenades, then you know it was not a good idea. Well, it is your car, do what you want. First, slow down, figure out if you want to keep it...sell it...paint it...hit it with spray....etc, what ever any plans you have for it. take time to think thru a good package, and you wont let yourself down. Drive and enjoy for now............(not trying to be an ass, but just think it over carefully)

300pny
05-29-2007, 02:16 PM
don't wast your time with a high compression boosted combination. It will be very frustrating tiring not to get it to detonate.

If you get a Kit with the tune/chip you wont have any frustration. Unless plugg in and hitting a button is frustrating.