PDA

View Full Version : reason why most "drag slicks".....

sloLs1
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
need inner tubes??? do all slicks need them???

is it something to do with the low amount of air pressure???

just a question, dont need to be flamed or nubbed!

Brandon W.
04-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Inner tubes are typically used, to ensure that the air does not suddenly leak catastrophically as the tire deforms under the stress of launching.

70challenger452
04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I think alot of time it depends on the tire and what is recommended

HP ADDICT
04-26-2007, 06:41 PM
It would be hard to use tires screws without em.

sloLs1
04-26-2007, 08:15 PM
It would be hard to use tires screws without em.

well for the people not putting down enough HP to turn the tires on the wheels... i wont need screws! and i think beed locks would be the better way to do it, even though screws work.....

UnderPSI
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I dunno about that, I wasn't making that much power and I still spun the rims about 3-4 inches with crawlin's rims and et streets

HP ADDICT
04-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Bead locks from my understanding which may be wrong benifit in adding reinforcement to the outer lip of the rim to help strengthen the wheel in offroad situations. In a drag stituation this is not needed and would only add rotating weight.

sloLs1
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Bead locks from my understanding which may be wrong benifit in adding reinforcement to the outer lip of the rim to help strengthen the wheel in offroad situations. In a drag stituation this is not needed and would only add rotating weight.

then how come top fuel dragsters have them... and i would asssssume 4 pieces of aluminum and a decent amount of bolts compared to a crap load of steel screws would be lighter or about the same?!?!

I dunno about that, I wasn't making that much power and I still spun the rims about 3-4 inches with crawlin's rims and et streets

true but i am talking about a FWD 4cyl making about 180-220ftlbs of torque:goof .... but i could see in a v-8 with a lot of low end torque and leaving the line hard. i will prolly mark my tires just to see if they do:goof

not saying anyone is wrong, its just hard for me to understand somethings:durr ... i've never ran slicks before.... only DR. so if you can explain things further or have some proof of your preaching it would be greatly appreciated! i have a domestic now and sometime it will have slicks... so all the info i can get now would be great!

70challenger
04-27-2007, 01:38 AM
the bead locks help clamp the tires alot better than screws and really do help on faster cars (were talkin 6's and under).

HP ADDICT
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
then how come top fuel dragsters have them... and i would asssssume 4 pieces of aluminum and a decent amount of bolts compared to a crap load of steel screws would be lighter or about the same?!?!

Top fuel cars could bend the rim with wheel hop. They are also used on circle track cars that bump alot. They are alot more work to install and usually require welding. Wheel screws are not used by the crap load. Usually only a couple per wheel. Bead locks would be pointless.

juicedimpss
04-27-2007, 08:19 AM
need inner tubes??? do all slicks need them???

is it something to do with the low amount of air pressure???

just a question, dont need to be flamed or nubbed!

the sidewalls are thin on most "drag" tires,and they dont hold air for extended periods of time.

BAD LS1
04-27-2007, 08:26 AM
If your using a factory style street wheel you can get away w/o tubes most of the time. The slicks are less likely to loose air on those rims because the bead area is shaped better and holds the tire better than say a Centerline Convo Pro. Eveno on the Convo pros i had iwas able to get away w/o tubes till i started running bigger tires and screws then i had to go to tubes because they wouldnt hold air for long.

Crawlin
04-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I have never run a tube in any of the drag slicks I have ran. Have had no problems, except for the et drags airing down faster(leaking a bit like juiced said) 1.3 60ft's as well

if you run tubes, you NEED to screw the rim/tire. I don't care what kinda car it's in, whether a high torque RWD or a gerbil fed import. It's a safety precaution especially since the chance of the rim moving inside the tire is greater with the stickier tire, and if it does, and snaps the valve stem, talk about instant loss of tire pressure going down the track = NOT COOL

wheelsofsteel
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Actually Beadlocks are used in Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Stock.
As for locals not using beadlocks for 1) it is not nessecary at the level we play on, and for 2) price them out once :wooo

Crawlin
04-27-2007, 09:21 AM
$1600 used is what you normally see :) haha

fly5150
04-27-2007, 09:25 AM
I ran my slicks without tubes just fine. Ran them at 10 psi all day on my old Srt-4 running about 350-400 Hp.

sloLs1
04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
thanks for all the info! i will be running slicks on my saturn with stock steelie wheels.... so i will not use screws or tubes!

2SLOW
04-27-2007, 11:56 AM
i don't use tubes in mine but they leak down ever week and i need to fill them. i'm thinking of putting them in.