PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft questions

twirkin50
04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Okay, back to the basics here.

I purchased a 94 Lightning 351W motor. I have read enough to know that this is a roller cam motor.

Now my question is, what are the main differences, advantages, physical appearance of a solid roller and hydraulic roller camshaft?

If I am correct the older 351W blocks were all non roller and I read that you should convert them for most applications, why is this?

Just looking to gain some more info, so thanks in advance.

2SLOW
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
solid vs hydraulic

SOLID:
Quicker opening and closing ramps on bolth sides of the lobe for intake exaust. higher reving engine because the lifters are not going to collapse like hydraulic.

cons: valve adjustments every so often and PRICE! especially for a ford (no joke)

HYDRAULIC:
easier on valve train, sets the valve down softer. less wear and tear.no valve adjustments set it and forget about it.

cons: you cannot rev the engine as high as a solid will go.

converting back to theoldcams is because geting a aftermarket roller is hard. dont really make them. or i could be wrong.

Want_Notch
04-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Dave if you plan or high rpms then go solid, above 7000 I think.

If not go hydraulic

twirkin50
04-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I picked up a TFS Stage 2 cam for a blow thru setup. Just was trying to see the pros/cons of both sides. Down the road will probably get a custom ground depending on which way I head with the combo.

2SLOW
04-24-2007, 08:06 PM
I picked up a TFS Stage 2 cam for a blow thru setup. Just was trying to see the pros/cons of both sides. Down the road will probably get a custom ground depending on which way I head with the combo.

So was it a roller? Not familiar with TFS stage 2's?

twirkin50
04-24-2007, 08:10 PM
The Trick flow stage 2 camshaft is a hydraulic roller cam for blower applications.

When I was looking for a 351W I heard a lot of talk about converting the older blocks to roller cams, so was just wondering what the differences all entailed between roller and non roller.