PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Supercharging.

mike90lxII
04-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Here is what I have 306 eagle rods, speed pro pistons, girdle arp bolts throughout.

Compression should be around 11:1 maybe a hair less. I was thinkiing of runing a supercharger with 8-10 psi. Was thinking of vortech with a front mount intercooler plumbed in.

I have the felpro MLS headgaskets and arp head studs. I know I would need larger Fuel injectors and I have the sct flip chip so the tune can be changed no problem.

Does this plan sound hair brained? I'd like to get 450whp. I want to build a 351w in the future so the supercharger would go on that, maybe even a 408.
So the engine doesn't need to last forever...

Thanks, Mike

subliminal1284
04-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Procharger FTW

FANAT1C
04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
You know you want too, so if it's just for temporary I say go for it! You can kind of be r&d. Hmmm... how much pressure will a 11:1 motor take? Just start small for you can have a little fun throughout summer and then in fall let it rip! :D

DurtyKurty
04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
11:1 and 8-10 psi = high octane fuel only.

Nix
04-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Procharger blows, go with Vortech!! FTW:thumbsup

FANAT1C
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
^^ :thumbsup

mike90lxII
04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
11:1 and 8-10 psi = high octane fuel only.

Yeah I know right now when I run the nitrous, I run 50/50-93/104 wich gives me 98.5 oct rating..

I could always pull the supercharger belt for long trips so I wouldn't have to use the higher octane.

Also, will leaded race gas hurt anything in my car. I have no cats or anything...

MurphysLaw88GT
04-18-2007, 01:04 PM
:3gears: :3gears: :3gears: :3gears: :3gears: :onfire

beware. detonation owns all

HRSEPLA
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
Take your supercharger money and do that 408 now for an easy 450+ RWHP, then you wont have to break your stock block in the process...and you could sell your 306 shortblock now. Too much compression to fight against for the gain you would get with the blower, and the right supercharger for your 306, will be the wrong one for your future 408.
Or just put the right heads, intake, and cam in your 306 for your 450RWHP too.

Prince Valiant
04-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Take your supercharger money and do that 408 now for an easy 450+ RWHP, then you wont have to break your stock block in the process...and you could sell your 306 shortblock now. Too much compression to fight against for the gain you would get with the blower, and the right supercharger for your 306, will be the wrong one for your future 408.
Or just put the right heads, intake, and cam in your 306 for your 450RWHP too.

quoted for truth.

MurphysLaw88GT
04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
yep:banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Poncho
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
high compression + blower = no

MurphysLaw88GT
04-18-2007, 04:52 PM
most of the time

mike90lxII
04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
If I have the timing right and no detonation it should be fine. Maybe I should just sell the car pay off my bike and quit waisting money trying to go faster and faster....

Prince Valiant
04-18-2007, 05:17 PM
most of the time
quoted for truth

300pny
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
I have a Kenne Bell and chose that over a pro or Vortec cause I wanted the low end power and a Root mounted SC cause I think just looks better. Ulitmately I did a crap load of reseach on the pro, vortec and KB. If your looking for HP and 1/4 times @ 8-10 psi all the data I have the KB edges them out, but ultimatley they are so close you wouldnt notice. THe kit comes with everything to include 39lb injectors. Here is just one link for reference... Good luck

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/events/mmfp_0607_procharger_vs_kenne_bell_shootout/results_procharger_vs_kenne_bell_shootout.html

HRSEPLA
04-18-2007, 05:21 PM
If I have the timing right and no detonation it should be fine.

Duh, and quoted for truth:)

Cool, put 5lbs of boost on it, retard the timing to 15* total and have fun with your 40 horse, then sell it.:rolf

PS- A roots blower would only make it detonate worse with that compression. (But I love the KB's!)

mike90lxII
04-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Cool, put 5lbs of boost on it, retard the timing to 15* total and have fun with your 90 horse, then sell it.:rolf

PS- A roots blower would only make it detonate worse with that compression. (But I love the KB's!)

Goodluck with that. I've seen 10.5:1 engines running 8-10psi with an intercooler and make a ton of power. But yeah I think my idea was a little off exspecially with the heat down here. I just get sick of filling Nitrous bottles.
I run about 25 degrees with a 125 shot so I don't think I would have to retard it back to 15.

But yeah that's why I asked the ? for input because I don't know everything, almost but not quite. I think I may just build another 306 to keep cost down, 9:1 compression and then a charger and it should be cool.

2SLOW
04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
But yeah that's why I asked the ? for input because I don't know everything, almost but not quite. I think I may just build another 306 to keep cost down, 9:1 compression and then a charger and it should be cool.

There you go! Sounds like a good idea, boost the hell out of it!!!:thumbsup

hrsp
04-18-2007, 06:50 PM
mmmmmbooost

DurtyKurty
04-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I could always pull the supercharger belt for long trips so I wouldn't have to use the higher octane.

You don't get how it works.

It is the inverse of what you said.

You could drive all day long on 87 octane with that combo. As long as you don't hit it.

The high octane is for the one time that you do hit it.

mike90lxII
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
You don't get how it works.

It is the inverse of what you said.

You could drive all day long on 87 octane with that combo. As long as you don't hit it.

The high octane is for the one time that you do hit it.

well your right that's why I said pull the belt that way I could get on it on motor to merge and pass and save a liitle fuel. but put the belt back on and run the same fuel mix I run with the nitrous to really get some power out of it.

DurtyKurty
04-18-2007, 08:10 PM
You make my brain hurt.

Reverend Cooper
04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
i feel faint after reading this well except for kurt and sams replys

hrsp
04-18-2007, 09:08 PM
throw some cheese on dat *****

Reverend Cooper
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
i got me a big mac

Want_Notch
04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=300pny;266171]I have a Kenne Bell and chose that over a pro or Vortec cause I wanted the low end power and a Root mounted SC cause I think just looks better. Ulitmately I did a crap load of reseach on the pro, vortec and KB. If your looking for HP and 1/4 times @ 8-10 psi all the data I have the KB edges them out, but ultimatley they are so close you wouldnt notice. THe kit comes with everything to include 39lb injectors. Here is just one link for reference... Good luck
QUOTE]

You can't compare MOD motors to pushrod motors.

It's like comparing yugo and a Ferrari..........

MurphysLaw88GT
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
You make my brain hurt.

That is THE funniest thing ive ever seen you post Kurt. If i make your brain hurt sometimes...punch me in the face

UnderPSI
04-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Procharger FTW

First answer is the right answer!!!

300pny
04-18-2007, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=300pny;266171]I have a Kenne Bell and chose that over a pro or Vortec cause I wanted the low end power and a Root mounted SC cause I think just looks better. Ulitmately I did a crap load of reseach on the pro, vortec and KB. If your looking for HP and 1/4 times @ 8-10 psi all the data I have the KB edges them out, but ultimatley they are so close you wouldnt notice. THe kit comes with everything to include 39lb injectors. Here is just one link for reference... Good luck
QUOTE]

You can't compare MOD motors to pushrod motors.

It's like comparing yugo and a Ferrari..........

Didnt know I was need to re-read

300pny
04-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Cool, put 5lbs of boost on it, retard the timing to 15* total and have fun with your 40 horse, then sell it.:rolf

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now with no issues to include detonation. All the people who havt have talked to also have apsolutly no issues.

BAD LS1
04-19-2007, 08:40 AM
I think you need to take Sam's advice, he has been doing the FI 5.0L thing for a long time now and im pretty god damn sure he has tried it all and experienced the ups and downs of cram feeding atmosphere into a 306 your about to go through... pull the belt off the blower? ugh... You can get away with 25* timing on the spray because nitrous isa whole diff animal, obviously its cooling the intake tract which takes alot of knock possibilities away by its self, and the cylinder pressure is usually not the same, on a 125 shot the initial hit is prolly stronger, but the blower's cyl pressure should be more and over a longer time... Not to mention the furnace hot air coming out of it! Thats why the higher in the rpms you hit the spray, the less you feel it... 15* is the safe starting point you work up from there... Sucks those motors dont have knock sensors.

Didnt you loose a head gasket in that thing already right after spraying at the track?? Im sorry motors just dont push head gaskets for no reason, you probably had a severe detonation issue errupt for a brief moment... All it takes.

Nice article 300pny, but did your car do those times? And how do you know you never had any knock? just cuz it aint audible, doesnt mean it aint there... Ive seen 8 -10 degrees of KR before and you couldnt hear it...

MurphysLaw88GT
04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I think you need to take Sam's advice, he has been doing the FI 5.0L thing for a long time now and im pretty god damn sure he has tried it all and experienced the ups and downs of cram feeding atmosphere into a 306 your about to go through... pull the belt off the blower? ugh... You can get away with 25* timing on the spray because nitrous isa whole diff animal, obviously its cooling the intake tract which takes alot of knock possibilities away by its self, and the cylinder pressure is usually not the same, on a 125 shot the initial hit is prolly stronger, but the blower's cyl pressure should be more and over a longer time... Not to mention the furnace hot air coming out of it! Thats why the higher in the rpms you hit the spray, the less you feel it... 15* is the safe starting point you work up from there... Sucks those motors dont have knock sensors.

Didnt you loose a head gasket in that thing already right after spraying at the track?? Im sorry motors just dont push head gaskets for no reason, you probably had a severe detonation issue errupt for a brief moment... All it takes.

Nice article 300pny, but did your car do those times? And how do you know you never had any knock? just cuz it aint audible, doesnt mean it aint there... Ive seen 8 -10 degrees of KR before and you couldnt hear it...

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
and a few of these for good measure:banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

300pny
04-19-2007, 09:19 AM

As far as the times I have no idea yet, had to have a fuel issue worked out so have not had any time yet to test it out. WIll let you know when I do if your intereseted. Probably the same way you checked.

mike90lxII
04-19-2007, 10:21 AM

Well As you have read or not read I was seeking some opinions and I got them. I won't be charging this motor. And yes I did blow a head gasket when I ran a 150 shot. I put the car back together with better parts, head studs, MLS head gaskets... and the tune I have is better suited to the nitrous but I am still only going to run a 125shot.... Also I check the plugs more often to make sure they look good before I run the bottle... yada yada yada..... Also I was planing on an intercooler if I supercharged it.... I'll run the nitrous through this year and build a decent short block with a bit lower compression 9:1 so I can run a supercharger next year...

HRSEPLA
04-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I have had mine for about 3 weeks now with no issues to include detonation. All the people who havt have talked to also have apsolutly no issues.

You don't have 11:1 compression.

HRSEPLA
04-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Well As you have read or not read I was seeking some opinions and I got them. I won't be charging this motor. And yes I did blow a head gasket when I ran a 150 shot. I put the car back together with better parts, head studs, MLS head gaskets... and the tune I have is better suited to the nitrous but I am still only going to run a 125shot.... Also I check the plugs more often to make sure they look good before I run the bottle... yada yada yada..... Also I was planing on an intercooler if I supercharged it.... I'll run the nitrous through this year and build a decent short block with a bit lower compression 9:1 so I can run a supercharger next year...

That sounds like your best bet! Good Luck!
The only other thing is that with the MLS headgaskets you just took out your 'relief valve' if your tuneup is wrong, be careful and take small steps!

mike90lxII
04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
That sounds like your best bet! Good Luck!
The only other thing is that with the MLS headgaskets you just took out your 'relief valve' if your tuneup is wrong, be careful and take small steps!

Yeah I had it tuned on the dyno with the nitrous to make sure everything was cool. I have a SCT chip with 3 tunes. 1 race gas, 1 for nitrous, race gas, 1 for 93oct. So if I am running race gas all I have to do is flip to the nitrous tune to run the bottle. But if I am on the 93 tune with no race gas well then no bottle or else????

300pny
04-19-2007, 10:08 PM
You don't have 11:1 compression.

In the spirt of the post I was posting research and expierience with the different SC's not acknowledging the millions of possible configurations

HRSEPLA
04-20-2007, 07:15 AM
In the spirit of this original thread I was talking about Mike's car, and with 11:1 compression, it might not be the best candidate for a blower, let alone a hotter twin screw with immediate boost.