PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting ticket advice

michelle
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
So on Friday, I was pulled over in Elm Grove for having strings hanging from my rearview mirror and my window tinting (I loved the first reason he gave me). I have 35% all the way around and with a black car, it looks even darker.

Anyways, I was given a ticket for the window tinting. One of those compliance ones, otherwise it is $84 and 2 points. I have no problem paying the $84 because I am sure I will spend that and more by the time I get it taken off (all four windows) and replaced with the legal amount (I am not a big fan of 4-door sedans with lighter tinting in the front windows as the back, but I would just leave the rear window because of the defrosters). But the 2 points bug me. Any suggestions?

88Nightmare
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
first of all, 35% is state legal on all the windows but the two front ones, those have to be 50% or lighter. second, thats going to be a tough one to fight, states usually arent very willing to budge on something like that. I suggest bite the bullet and pay it, but try to plea bargain with them, see if they will drop the points for a slightly higher priced ticket.

05caddyext
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I fought my window tint ticket on my cavalier that I had and was successful. I had 5% all the way around, obviously way to dark for legal limits. I went to court the first time and told them that I would be willing to remove the front doors only, nothing more. Reason I gave- "Look at every sport utility vehicle that comes from the factory, they back windows are as dark, if not darker than mine. In the state of Wisconsin if your tint came from the factory, it doesn't matter how dark it is. Therefore I will remove the front doors only."

They told me to come back with the front doors clear a month later and they would drop the ticket. No fine, no points.

There is also another way to get around it that I found afterwards. It also states in the law that the windows can be even darker if you have a doctors note saying your eyes are sensitive to sunlight. I asked my eye doc if he would write me a note saying that and he said yeah, no problem, sunlight is bad for your eyes period.

See if you have any luck with those first, you might even be able to talk to guy who wrote you the ticket before you go to court. Tell him you'd take off the front door tint no problem, will that fix my problem.

Russ Jerome
04-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I would ask them with all this going on:
http://www.brookfieldnow.com/story/index.aspx?id=588907

How do they expect to curb crime with tax payer dollar paid
officers following people driving down the road under the speed
limit, while some lowlife is rumaging around thru some poor guys
garage stealing everything he worked hard for....... Ask that the
officer be terminated for wasting time/money ignoring his/her job.

Flicktitty
04-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Don't tint your windows?

problem solved :goof

Windsors 03 Cobra
04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
You could go to court and say you are guilty and want to pay the ticket and will pay it but you want to bargain on the points "because you cant afford to lose any points", yadda yadda yadda. Local courts here will do it, just DOUBLE the ticket amount, $150 speeding ticket ? Yes that will be $300. (What they should say is "Just give us some money !")

If the police will let you pass with just removing the 2 front windows you could get the 2 front retinted for the same money as the ticket. The elbow grease to remove the tint is easy.

My 2 cents. Good luck to ya.

07ROUSHSTG3
04-16-2007, 05:02 PM
wow, i did not know that they took points for tint???? i was going to have mine done in a few weeks, and i was going to go rather dark. i am now rethinking this. do they take points if you don't have a front license plate also??

Korndogg
04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
just DOUBLE the ticket amount, $150 speeding ticket ? Yes that will be $300. (What they should say is "Just give us some money !")

First of all, you dont plea guilty, you plea No Contest.

And second of all, you got ripped because I have never had to pay double the amount of the ticket and they took all my points off. I dont have a point on my license to this day.

Slow Joe
04-16-2007, 06:33 PM
They didn't give you a fix-it ticket?? Wow...

Holeshot
04-16-2007, 06:37 PM
State of Wisconsin Tint Laws
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_wi.html

sloLs1
04-16-2007, 06:42 PM
do what i have done the past 4 times now:flipoff2: (one reason i sold the EVO... everytime i got pulled over it was the same ticket; tint, exhaust, no front plate:flipoff2: )

just go pay the ticket or mail it in.... i have never had to remove tint!

i just kept getting them due to a-hole cops... and you can geuss where i got all those from.... hwy 1xx

michelle
04-16-2007, 06:45 PM
They gave me a compliance ticket. I have a little over a month, otherwise I have to pay the ticket and the 2 points will be there.

I did get a no front license plate fix-it-ticket in Whitewater over Spring Break. No real ticket like the tint one, but I had 20 days to show a police station I put it on.

I'm going to check with my eye doctor tomorrow and see if he will do it. He's a nice guy, so I have a feeling I will be fine. I take it I just show the note from him to a police station and they take care of it? Or is there a longer process that I don't know about?

Poncho
04-16-2007, 06:56 PM
find a wrecked taurus buy the front windows cheap.

swap them. that would be an easy compliance.

pOrk
04-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Go to court and argue it, they will drop the points. Points are for moving violations, window tint is an equipment violation and they have no right giving you points for it.

Korndogg
04-16-2007, 11:52 PM
Go to court and argue it, they will drop the points. Points are for moving violations, window tint is an equipment violation and they have no right giving you points for it.

yeah. I had a little blue neon in my s-10 back in the day up in the dells and a state trooper pulled me over and tried to give me 3 points for it. I called the DA instead of going to court and he was like "WTF? he cant give you points for that!." lol it was funny as hell.

pOrk
04-16-2007, 11:55 PM
The cops use the books they have to find the point violations, I have heard all different numbers for this before and it NEVER holds up in court. They wont make you pay any more then whats written on the ticket, but they will drop the points.

05caddyext
04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
There are still limits on how dark the tint can be with a doctor notice, its in the law someplace. I can't remember what the % is off hand but I know its written in the law for sure. I have had 5% window tint on every car I have owned, on#17 now, and I have NEVER paid a tint ticket in my life.

The courts don't give a $hit about the points, thats why you should definetly fight it. I'd almost be willing to bet $$$ that they will drop the points, if not the whole thing.

pOrk
04-17-2007, 12:29 AM
^ I am almost positive that its 20% on side windows, and 50% on the windshield

Cryptic
04-17-2007, 05:58 AM
50% front side windows
35% anything behind you

I just paid my ticket when state trooper gave me a ticket. I have 15% all the way around on a black car. A cop could sign off that you removed the tint if your buddy-buddy with anyone.

67-400
04-17-2007, 06:18 AM
All of my experiences with window tint have been a "Fix-a-ticket." No problem with points. That was by a state trooper off HWY 43 N near Racine Ave for one example. Other examples were back in the day on HWY 100 cruising nights. Maybe I got fortunate, I don't know. I don't know why they would have given you points violations??? I just took it to Black-out to have them remove it all, of course at a charge. Hope the best for ya!!

redpony06
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I have had my windows tinted for about 2 months now and I havent gotten pulled over yet. I have 20% done to mine. I also have black interior so it makes the windows look even darker. I have passed cops all the time and havent gotten pulled over. Plus I don't have a front license plate either. I figure don't speed or do anthing stupid they don't have any reason to pull you over or maybe the cop doesnt have anything else better to do.:rolf :rolf

Poncho
04-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I have had my windows tinted for about 2 months now and I havent gotten pulled over yet. I have 20% done to mine. I also have black interior so it makes the windows look even darker. I have passed cops all the time and havent gotten pulled over. Plus I don't have a front license plate either. I figure don't speed or do anthing stupid they don't have any reason to pull you over or maybe the cop doesnt have anything else better to do.:rolf :rolf

they don't pull over v6 mustangs. :wooo

redpony06
04-18-2007, 12:00 AM

Your an ass Dan!! F*ck you!!!:flipoff2:

Waver
04-18-2007, 07:37 AM

yeah they do, well at least state troopers do...for plate violations