PDA

View Full Version : Recent Harley buyers?

Russ Jerome
04-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok so I head off to buy a new Harley (yes I know the Goldwing is
a superior bike at a better price) with financal aproval by my bank
in hand. I shop around and find the best price I can, -$1000 under
MSRP on a $17,695 bike is obviously $16,695 on paper....hang on..

This dealer has a $150 tipping fee called "Service Fee"

Freight/Shipping/setup is $830...man the mechanics there
and the trucking company must be making a killing! I've
worked at truck dealers and have seen the purchase
contract, dont recal the tipping fee or setup also know
as a pre-delivery on a buyers final sales sheet.

You have to pay tax's obviously, title/plates ect but what
part of the tipping fee and setup are you guys seeing?
Before you scream you never pay for it, I would like to
see proof so I can stick a blanked out copy in the sales
guys rear end. Got a pile of cash sitting here if anybody
works in sales and has a RoadGlide for under MSRP and
no BS costs. Thanks for any info on your dealings with
local dealers.

fireguyrick
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
What dealership are you working with?

Rick

Russ Jerome
04-10-2007, 09:39 PM
I dont want to bad mouth a single dealer, sounds as though
this is normal Harley dealer practice. Its a local dealer, that
only leaves the big three: House,Hals and Milwukee.

Reverend Cooper
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
car dealers do the same filing fee,service fee too so its not just the bike dealers

Yooformula
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
I am sure that with cash in hand, they will deal.

Russ Jerome
04-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a chick at my bank with a blank check, cashiers checks
are as good as gold! I just dont want to waste money I have
to pay back at %8 APR, it all adds up after 60 months.

Josepy
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
talk to surburban harley or west bend harley. they will work with you and most will waive those stupid fees. at least they were going to do it with me.

Breecher_7
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
60 months for a bike! I can see for a car but for a bike thats insane! Im sure im gonna get bashed for this but I personally believe if you want a bike but cant afford to pay cash for it, you shouldnt own it. Since its a luxury and all, an un-needed toy. I dont know, i guess thats just my outlook on it. On with the fireing squad!!!!!!!

Memphis
04-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I've got payments on my Harley, but ALL my vehicles are paid for. So my 'toy' is my one payment, also saves me cash all summer when fuel costs are over 3.00 per gallon. I didnt have the cash in hand, but the price was WAY under the value of the bike, should I have passed it up because I didnt have money in hand?

My bike was bought new at Milwaukee Harley, my dad just bought his new bike (last year) at Ukes...had real good luck with both. Cant say anything bad though about the other dealers as I havent bought bikes from them. Good luck!

Russ Jerome
04-11-2007, 12:33 AM
60 months for a bike! I can see for a car but for a bike thats insane! Im sure im gonna get bashed for this but I personally believe if you want a bike but cant afford to pay cash for it, you shouldnt own it.

Hey if I had 20g laying around for a "toy" I know where there's a
40's wood Chris Craft I would LOVE to have :) I honestly dont
know anybody who has that kind of money laying around for a
toy, the people I know who do have fluid cash like that lease
stuff and trade it off for new stuff every year.

Russ Jerome
04-11-2007, 12:37 AM
I've got payments on my Harley, but ALL my vehicles are paid for. So my 'toy' is my one paymentGood luck!

Same here, rides are paid for and two of my kids in college just got
a free ride for the there next few years! Its my turn dammit! Im getting
it for ME :)

pOrk
04-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Have you ever ridden a Harley? Man, 20 grand for a pyle of metal that will rattle your teeth smooth.

Why not get one used and save yourself 10 grand? The technology on Harley's hasn't changed in 30 years, might as well get one a few years older.

pickardracing
04-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Harleys = T3h uber-gayness

Russ Jerome
04-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Have you ever ridden a Harley? Man, 20 grand for a pyle of metal that will rattle your teeth smooth.

Why not get one used and save yourself 10 grand? The technology on Harley's hasn't changed in 30 years, might as well get one a few years older.

I know what your saying, Goldwings just went over 20g now,
a great buy last year was 15-16g fully equiped out the door.

Actualy I have owned and built old ironhead bikes and they
realyy have changed, even more so this yr. The 88ci is
stroked up to 96ci with great torque and the 6spd box is
a welcome addition for freeway rolls. I wish you could save
10grand on a used bike, they think those old bikes are worth
more after covering them with jap made chrome gadgets.
I have too many projects/hobbies to keep me busy, need a
turnkey warranty with solid resale value.

pOrk
04-11-2007, 02:34 AM
The old old stuff is different, but same technology. The new stuff is a little bigger with a few more ponys, but still the ride is horrible and so is the customer service.

The old old bikes are getting 8-10 for custom hard tail shovels, but I was referring to something 5 years old, not 30. If you are looking for a warranty, then new is obviously the way to go. The guys at the Harley dealership are squid brained a-holes weather you have a brand new bike or a 30 year old bike though, regardless.

I dunno, I bet if you sat on ebay you could buy one of the hundreds of recently re-poed harleys that are selling below book. Harley stock is in the drain, as is harleys engineering activity.

Swags63
04-11-2007, 02:37 AM
You can probably go to Hartford, or West Bend Harley talk to them they will more then likely wave those fees.

As for the comments about the Harleys, I can tell you haven't been on one lately. My 06 Classic with cruise control, fuel injection, and the Harmon Kardon Sound System is a great ride. As far as I remember 30 years ago Harley didn't use any of those thing. Wait I don't have to remember I just open the garage door and look at my 1977 Superglide, Noop none of that on it. Now believe me I have plenty of grief over some of the thing Harley has done and continues to do but they are still the best game in town. I like to see someone try to get 8 to 10 grand out of a 30 year old Jap bike. Sorry about the bickering, but crying about Harleys hits home.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t269/swags63/DSC00144.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t269/swags63/1977superglide.jpg

pOrk
04-11-2007, 02:41 AM
So a radio is technology? Please. My freakin 77 jap bike has a radio on it. I rode my uncles 05 Ultra Classic, it was a hunk of shit like every other Harley I have ridden. Triumphs in mint go for 7-9 all day, so what are you talking about?

Harleys are more for yuppies then anyone, its too bad cause back in the day it was a symbol for bad ass. Or was it stupid? A harley guy now has harley boots, harley gloves, harley chaps, harley socks, and that makes him a BIKER. PAH-LEEZE. Most Harleys spend more time in the garage then they do on the road, and its a damn shame.

Best game in town? They are the only game in town. I don't like jap shit anymore then anyone else, but jap bikes last twice as long and are twice as efficient. Let me see a Harley do 150 horse power and still get 44 mpg. Not to mention the Goldwing is 3 times as advanced/luxurious as the best Harley you can buy, thats like comparing apples to oranges.

Differences a side, I like your 77. All cept for the wheels anyhoot.

Swags63
04-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Like the old saying goes if you have to explain it you just won't understand. Read the whole posting the radio is just a small part of what is going. Harleys are never going to be Jap bikes they don't want to be Jap bikes that is not their intent. Everyone has their opinion, what fits you doesn't fit the next person. If you don't like them don't ride them. But don't ***** about what you don't understand.

pOrk
04-11-2007, 02:55 AM
What I don't understand? Get a clue dude. I played that game once before two, I like old junk but I don't like piss poor attitudes and not to sound like a total generalizing hipocrit, damn near ever Harley rider I met when I had my own was a total **** bag. You sound like you fit the profile, if my opinion is as good as anyones then why the hostility?

Shov

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/oldshov.jpg

juicedimpss
04-11-2007, 09:07 AM
The old old stuff is different, but same technology. The new stuff is a little bigger with a few more ponys, but still the ride is horrible and so is the customer service.

The old old bikes are getting 8-10 for custom hard tail shovels, but I was referring to something 5 years old, not 30. If you are looking for a warranty, then new is obviously the way to go. The guys at the Harley dealership are squid brained a-holes weather you have a brand new bike or a 30 year old bike though, regardless.

I dunno, I bet if you sat on ebay you could buy one of the hundreds of recently re-poed harleys that are selling below book. Harley stock is in the drain, as is harleys engineering activity.

what model newer harley have you bought/owned to come to the conclusions you have?
where do you get your financial info about harley?I can say,we have had record sales yet again so far this season........and have not had any good weather yet.
:banana

juicedimpss
04-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Like the old saying goes if you have to explain it you just won't understand. Read the whole posting the radio is just a small part of what is going. Harleys are never going to be Jap bikes they don't want to be Jap bikes that is not their intent. Everyone has their opinion, what fits you doesn't fit the next person. If you don't like them don't ride them. But don't ***** about what you don't understand.

:thumbsup
so true.

Waver
04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey pork, before you go off ranting about Harley, my cousin is a designer over at harley, and was part of the team on the v rod. plus there are quite a few on here that work for harley.....

anyhow, getting a bike, nomatter if it is a harley. honda, ect is probably one of the smartest things that someone can do, as it costs less to operate than a car, and you get the same distance out of a tank of gas....

88Nightmare
04-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Its an American icon, plain and simple. Its loud, it rumbles, its shiney, thats all that matters to most people. Somehow, like ron said, we have had record sales over here at the house of harley, and no good weather yet (aside from those one or two 70º days.). The month of march, the sales department sold over 70 bikes, one of the second best march's of the history of the house of harley. so whether or not the technology is old or they rattle or leak oil or whatever.... thats up for debate. but people still want em, and thats all that matters :D

juicedimpss
04-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Its an American icon, plain and simple. Its loud, it rumbles, its shiney, thats all that matters to most people. Somehow, like ron said, we have had record sales over here at the house of harley, and no good weather yet (aside from those one or two 70º days.). The month of march, the sales department sold over 70 bikes, one of the second best march's of the history of the house of harley. so whether or not the technology is old or they rattle or leak oil or whatever.... thats up for debate. but people still want em, and thats all that matters :D

actually it was 84 bikes for march.

88Nightmare
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
actually it was 84 bikes for march.

point proven :D :D

Feature Pony
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
My buddy just picked up a street glide at Uke's in Kenosha for $19200 with taxes and title plus a pair of screaming eagle pipes. Thats a deal!!! I would go down there with your cash and they will deal!! Plus they gave him a free 1000 mile check up!!

Flight_740
04-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Pork, you really sound like the bike version of a ricer.:rolf Let it go.:goof

If I could afford a harley, I would have one. So for me, it has to be a jap bike but it definatly would not be a sport bike. More like a Road star or somthing like that.

Some sport bike riders are the biggest idiots I have ever met.(not saying you are) Kids get these bikes and instantly thought they had foot long cocks.

pOrk
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
what model newer harley have you bought/owned to come to the conclusions you have?
where do you get your financial info about harley?I can say,we have had record sales yet again so far this season........and have not had any good weather yet.
:banana

The stock market dude. And I didn't buy one, my uncle did. I would never pay 22 grand for a bike, thats nutty. He bought an Ultra Classic, had it for one season and sold it as soon as he could get out of it. My cousin works for Harley so he got a deal on it. Some 'deal'

Pork, you really sound like the bike version of a ricer.:rolf Let it go.:goof

If I could afford a harley, I would have one. So for me, it has to be a jap bike but it definatly would not be a sport bike. More like a Road star or somthing like that.

Some sport bike riders are the biggest idiots I have ever met.(not saying you are) Kids get these bikes and instantly thought they had foot long cocks.

I hate most of the sport bike scene, its a bunch of idiots that can't control their riding habits. SE Wisconsin has tons of asshat riders that care for nobody else on the road but themselves. I hated every aspect of them until I rode one. Hitting a turn at 100+ with my knee damn near on the ground is what I call fun. Can a Harley do that? No, its not designed to. They used to be used for everything way back when, hell some of them are still hill climbed.

Hey pork, before you go off ranting about Harley, my cousin is a designer over at harley, and was part of the team on the v rod. plus there are quite a few on here that work for harley.....

anyhow, getting a bike, nomatter if it is a harley. honda, ect is probably one of the smartest things that someone can do, as it costs less to operate than a car, and you get the same distance out of a tank of gas....

You do? What kinda magical fairy told you that? I have never owned a car that got as little as 150 miles to the tank. :durr My cousin is in the maintenance department at the plant, and I know plenty of people who work there. None of them ride Harleys, and they can more then afford them. A little food for thought.

juicedimpss
04-11-2007, 01:29 PM
The stock market dude. And I didn't buy one, my uncle did. I would never pay 22 grand for a bike, thats nutty. He bought an Ultra Classic, had it for one season and sold it as soon as he could get out of it.

January 18, 2007

Harley-Davidson Reports Revenue and Earnings Growth for 2006

Annual Worldwide Retail Sales Increase 8.5 Percent

Milwaukee, Wis., January 18, 2007 -- Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE: HOG) today announced its results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2006. Revenue for the quarter was $1.50 billion compared to $1.34 billion in the year-ago quarter, an 11.9 percent increase. Net income for the quarter was $252.4 million compared to $230.0 million, an increase of 9.7 percent over the fourth quarter of 2005. Fourth quarter diluted earnings per share (EPS) were $0.97, a 15.5 percent increase compared to last year’s $0.84.

i guess the market knows more than harley was reporting.
:rolf

88Nightmare
04-11-2007, 01:30 PM
sport bikes are meant to go fast, harleys are meant to cruise, be loud, and look good doing it. we all have different preferences, riding styles, and depths of our pants pockets. People could find a cruising bike for $10 grand or under, but if they are totally happy spending 20g's for a bike, then so am I. I'm sure most people who buy harleys have a sincere dislike for sport bikes.....

This is a discussion/argument no one will win, because each side has some very solid ground to stand on....

UnderPSI
04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
I think Harleys are great, if I could afford one I would have one. Until then I will continue to ride my dads 99 Ultra Classic. That is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden. And I have put thousands of miles on it.

Russ Jerome
04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
As I said before this is not my first Harley, put my first together
long before the urban profesionals became the bulk of the riders.

pork,
I have had Honda's as well, have sat on the side of the road with
both at times for items beyong the manufatures control like tire
failure ect. Break down on a country road with an American built
bike........talk about a line of great people wanting to help you!
I like rolling into a crowd of a thousand and knowing every one
of them will help me, like I would help them...or buy em a beer.

mike90lxII
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM
car dealers do the same filing fee,service fee too so its not just the bike dealers

The dealership I work at doesn't have any of those fee's. Heck the owner won't even add markup to the SRT lineup like most others....

pOrk
04-11-2007, 08:21 PM
As I said before this is not my first Harley, put my first together
long before the urban profesionals became the bulk of the riders.

pork,
I have had Honda's as well, have sat on the side of the road with
both at times for items beyong the manufatures control like tire
failure ect. Break down on a country road with an American built
bike........talk about a line of great people wanting to help you!
I like rolling into a crowd of a thousand and knowing every one
of them will help me, like I would help them...or buy em a beer.

Didn't mean to aim this brigade towards you, just sick of the HARLEY or die type. I am glad you had such luck on your bike as to get help on your past harleys. When my iron head broke down during the 105th celebration here in Milwaukee, I sat on the side of the interstate as hundreds of guys passed me. I called some buddys that also had harleys and of course there were too busy to help me, so I had to call my guy Chris who had more then enough time to swing by with a philips screw driver so I could get my bike back on the road. There's all types, but from my expierence with harley people I wouldn't expect them to help. Todays harley riders don't have a clue what it is to be a fellow two-wheeler.

pOrk
04-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I think Harleys are great, if I could afford one I would have one. Until then I will continue to ride my dads 99 Ultra Classic. That is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden. And I have put thousands of miles on it.

Sit on a Goldwing, you'll never turn back

SSDude
04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Sit on a Goldwing, you'll never turn back

I had a Goldwing for 6 years, never left me stranded ever. Gone on a number of vacations and thousands of miles. I'll ride my friends Harley and when i get off i'm glad i can travel on a wing and still have my fillings intact and my hearing.
To PoRk's point I agree there are to many of the Harley or die type that give riders a bad name.
Everyone likes something different. :thumbsup

Russ good luck on finding a good deal for your new ride

Memphis
04-11-2007, 10:38 PM
I wouldnt pay 20,000 for a harley either...or any other bike or car for that matter. Payments or not, i simply cant afford that. I've ridden many different kinds of bikes, and I like many styles and brands. I wouldnt turn any of them away...unless hyundai or something stupid starts building bikes! :goof As for ride, some bikes are hard to ride depending on your physical size, strength, attitude, whatever. I am very happy with the ride of my 03 Springer, and have also comfortably ridden my dads 06 bagger. (althugh I actually prefer the ride of my 03) Neither one 'rattles my teeth' but they wont win any land speed records either. No problem, I'll stay on four wheels for the speed.:rolf And no leaks, issues, etc at all..granted its only 4 years old. With age, anything will show its signs, just depends on if your willing and able to deal with it.
For the record, I do not have harley jacket, chaps, boots, socks, etc....and I would stop if I saw someone in need of help if I knew them or not....if I'm in the car, on the bike, on foot...however it comes up.
Just my .02

Waver
04-11-2007, 11:00 PM
lets see, one harley fill up costs less than 10 bucks and you get 150 miles
fill up my car 34 to 40 bucks and I get 250 or so......the bike gets beter mileage

Swags63
04-12-2007, 12:20 AM
1903-2008 = 105 By the way what happened to your old shovel? As I can see from the pic you posted you or someone did some work on it changing it to their taste. That I believe is the point of this whole conversation, to each his own.

On a personal note I have stopped and help people on the side of the road broke down in front of the bar what have you. Some times you can help sometime you can't either way it has made for some interesting experiences and some good friendship.

juicedimpss
04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
the 105th?
i cant believe nobody helped you out on your iron head sportster during the event that hasnt arrived yet.

84 Regal
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Just put a jell seat on a Harley. My buddy has one on his and I love it. I will be be adding the jell pads into mine this summer.

04 Road King Custom

Mike M

pOrk
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
102nd* they are on top of another on my keyboard

SSDude
04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
So Russ what kind of Harley are you looking for?
Would you be interested in a year old employee bike? I can check around with people i know who work there.:thumbsup

88Nightmare
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
He is looking for a Roadglide.

Russ Jerome
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
So Harley's "Eagle financial" says my credit wont work for a
decent rate, even thru XXXXXk Credit Union...well thats funny
my girl at XXXXk pre-aproved me for $18,000 with ZERO down
sign and drive??????????????

So I run the paperwork over to her, she quickly calls back and
quotes me an incredible rate at about any length of contract I
want!!!!! Jeez thats funny she loves my credit but Harley has
issues and says I was turned down??? Punch line?...drumrole:

My Roadglide costs the dealer $15,872, Harley MSRPs it at
$17,465...hey they gotta make money right? So add the tip
fee of $150, the crate fee of $400 and another $400 for the
shipping (that was coverd in the "invoice") and suddenly no
bank in there right mind would finance anything over 18 grand
on a bike that was deliverd to there door for under 16 grand
from the manufacture. Thats $1000 the saleman knocked off
the sale price is needed at that point.

Short story is all I have to do is pay the $2000 overhead the
dealer makes up front and I will get a great rate thru my bank.
The dealer has to pay there support people, I've worked at dealers
for years and know the overhead is there so Im probably gonna
do it anyway. My next buisness venture is a Harley Dealership.

redpony06
04-18-2007, 12:47 AM
Harley can kiss my ASS!!:fire After their stupid strike incident I'm not to happy with them.:flipoff2:

SSScottSS
04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm all for American cars, but for some reason I just can't get into Harley's. I don't have anything against them or the people who ride them. Everyone likes different things.

Pork is right about Harley's stock situation. In the past 3 months their stock has dropped about $10/share. That's pretty substantial. Their problem is they financed alot of bikes to people with less then attractive credit histories, and these same people are now not making their payments, so Harley is repo'ing alot of bikes and they don't have the cash flow coming in. This would also explain why they did not approve your loan, they can't afford any more, what they feel may be, risky loans.

It has been suggested that the US market has pretty much bottomed out for Harley, so they are expanding their international marketing to make up for the drop in sales in the US.

I'm sure Harley will do just fine. They've had problems in the past and they have gotten past them. As long as people like this guy ... http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/8c4f3cf42dd8a64463e7e994d8171eb8 have deep pockets, they'll stay in business