PDA

View Full Version : What would you take and why??

300pny
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
2 Identical stock 2006 cars. Your going to the track to run them against eachother 10 times. Driver is experienced at the track with both cars.

One is Auto one is manual. Which car is the more consistant winner and why??

Brandon W.
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
tough call to be honest....for consistancy id say Auto. man tough one..good brain stumper

Want_Notch
04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Dpends, auto will be more consitant with inexperianced drivers, manual will be faster, less parasitic loss.

300pny
04-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I was thinking the same thing exspecially when your looking for consistancy

300pny
04-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Dpends, auto will be more consitant with inexperianced drivers, manual will be faster, less parasitic loss.

Yea I noted expierenced driver. The consistance factor plays a big part here I think

Poncho
04-09-2007, 09:15 PM
stock shifter in the car?

07ROUSHSTG3
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
i would go stick as long as the driver is experienced and both cars are stock.

GTSLOW
04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Since you said driver is experienced my votes for the manual car by far.

Flicktitty
04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Since you said driver is experienced my votes for the manual car by far.

:thumbsup X2

if it were drag racing and depending on the car type i would go auto

BadAzzGTA89
04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Does the auto have Tap shifting?

:rolf

hrsp
04-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Auto Is More Consistent!!!! Period

300pny
04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
stock shifter in the car?

The thread says stock

300pny
04-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Does the auto have Tap shifting?

Not sure what stock cars have tap shifting...Lets say no on the tapping

:rolf

GRAMPS SS
04-09-2007, 10:00 PM
:thumbsup X2

if it were drag racing and depending on the car type i would go auto

but if you were RONNIE SOX..you would take the stick...the man was the best and would shift bthat stick like it was a auto....for those of you younger guys....RONNIE SOX was the other half of SOX AND MARTIN race team in the 60's going into the 70's....super stock then it turned pro stock....so that is who i would have drive the car for me...i drive slow crap....consistently slowwww

Heat Seeker WS6
04-09-2007, 10:11 PM
but if you were RONNIE SOX..you would take the stick...the man was the best and would shift bthat stick like it was a auto....for those of you younger guys....RONNIE SOX was the other half of SOX AND MARTIN race team in the 60's going into the 70's....super stick then it turned pro stock....so that is who i would have drive the car for me...i drive slow crap....consistently slowwww

:wstupid
Great find Wayne

Slow Joe
04-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I'd take the manual, and hope I'm having a good day... Otherwise I'd take the automatic...

BadAzzGTA89
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
That was a lil inside joke sorry:rolf

Al
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Then again, if were were talking about GTOs, then I'd only go automatic since it is faster and more consistant than manual.

Poncho
04-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Then again, if were were talking about GTOs, then I'd only go automatic since it is faster and more consistant than manual.

plus the stock stick sucks ass.

(looks at GM Motorsports Rip Shifter still in it's box)

Damn I need to get my new shifter in....

Waver
04-10-2007, 08:25 AM
plus the stock stick sucks ass.

(looks at GM Motorsports Rip Shifter still in it's box)

Damn I need to get my new shifter in....

they are not that hard to put in, i had my steeda shifter in in like 15 min after I got the interior parts removed

Slow Joe
04-10-2007, 08:38 AM
they are not that hard to put in, i had my steeda shifter in in like 15 min after I got the interior parts removed

Yeah, took me just about that long as well...

Dan just come over tonight ****er and we'll stuff that thing in the kangaroo... :rolf

Poncho
04-10-2007, 10:22 AM
recommended install time - four hours.

300pny
04-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks like people are about split on this one. I think the computer will shift more consistant than any human possibly can.

Prince Valiant
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Auto will always be more consistent...I don't think that it can be debated. There really isn't such a thing as "missed shifts" with an auto, and it's far more simple to consistently launch an auto. You don't have the huge mass of a flywheel spinning and then the relatively inprecise engagement of the clutch. Sometimes it's like walking a tightwire with regards to bogging the car at launch, or blowing the tires to oblivion.

Plus, with the mass of the rotating assembly/flywheel hitting the tires/suspension, you are also more likely to encounter spring wrap/axle hop.

Still, stick for me. It's more fun, easier on the street.

wikked
04-10-2007, 01:05 PM
yea the auto is more consistant, but consistant winner? eh..
it could be consistent at 14.9's
and the m/t might run varying low-mid 14's.

I'd say the consistant winner would be the m/t.

GRAMPS SS
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Looks like people are about split on this one. I think the computer will shift more consistant than any human possibly can.

computers will built by man...so the have the human factor of error in them...nothing is perfect....nothing ...but what do i know...i drive a slow auto-matic...:thumbsup

300pny
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
computers will built by man...so the have the human factor of error in them...nothing is perfect....nothing ...but what do i know...i drive a slow auto-matic...:thumbsup

Computers are built by humans?? And I was told it was a computer ferry...:)

Correct nothing is perfect but a automatic shifting/computer is more consistant than a manual

GRM-REPR
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Computers are built by humans?? And I was told it was a computer ferry...:)

Correct nothing is perfect but a automatic shifting/computer is more consistant than a manual

Wow 300, I said I wouldn't post any thing else in relation to you, but this is a good thread. :thumbsup

I agree, nothing can possibly shift faster and more precise than an automatic trans.

Fun factor tho, manual trans...

My 2cents have been added....

05caddyext
04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Every single year I went to the World Ford Challenge in St. Louis, an automatic car always won the stock class. In fact I believe the same guy won a few years in a row with a RENTAL car he got while he was there for the show. Doesn't matter how good you are at driving stick, the auto will always be more consistent. Will it be faster? I doubt it. Plus I would trade a few tenths of consistency from the automatic for a stick any day. Track time = every now and then. Street driving = all the time.

300pny
04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Wow 300, I said I wouldn't post any thing else in relation to you, but this is a good thread. :thumbsup

I agree, nothing can possibly shift faster and more precise than an automatic trans.

Fun factor tho, manual trans...

My 2cents have been added....

Dont recall who you are or why you said that but kewl...My wife says I'm more of an aquired taste

Slow Joe
04-10-2007, 11:34 PM
recommended install time - four hours.

Actual Install time... under 2 hours... :thumbsup

Poncho
04-11-2007, 12:24 AM
i love it

Slow Joe
04-11-2007, 12:28 AM
i love it

I bet, it's a nice shifter... :thumbsup

hrsp
04-11-2007, 12:29 AM
Auto will always be more consistent...I don't think that it can be debated. There really isn't such a thing as "missed shifts" with an auto, and it's far more simple to consistently launch an auto. You don't have the huge mass of a flywheel spinning and then the relatively inprecise engagement of the clutch. Sometimes it's like walking a tightwire with regards to bogging the car at launch, or blowing the tires to oblivion.

Plus, with the mass of the rotating assembly/flywheel hitting the tires/suspension, you are also more likely to encounter spring wrap/axle hop.

Still, stick for me. It's more fun, easier on the street.

yup and yup again