PDA

View Full Version : Sand Blasting/Paint striper

awsomeears
04-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Two questions here about the same rims :

I can remember a buddy of mine talking about a place that has several booths and you just pay by the min. to sand blast.

Is there such a thing ?
__________________________________________________ ___________

I have aluminum rims that are painted black, I would like to get all the paint off. What type of paint striper works GOOD !!!!!!!!!!

Brand ?

Price ?

Where can I get it ?

Thanks

- Brad -

Corvette Jabo
04-06-2007, 09:02 AM
There is a place in Butler called U-Spray their phone number is 262-781-8884 and their address is 4907 N. 124th St., Butler, WI 53007. They are located about 1 block North of Hampton on 124th St. Inside they have 4 spray booths: 2 @ aluminum oxide, 1 @ glass bead and 1 @ Plastic bead. One of the oxide booths is fairly large, I blasted the rear end out of my 62 last year. These booths are (in my opinion) industrial grade and when your sand blasting a part it is like spraying silver paint because they clean up that nice. The only issue is that your parts must be grease and oil free and they will check your parts. The last time I was there they charged $1.25 per minute. There is a minute counter on each cabinet that counts by 1/10th of a minute, if you want to stop the clock while moving parts around in the cabinet just open the door. They also have a sand blasting service for larger parts like a car frames. They do the blasting on large parts, not you but they are very reasonable charges. It is first come, first serve so in spring time especially on Saturdays there can be a line when the doors open.

http://u-spray.com/

Jabo

awsomeears
04-06-2007, 07:36 PM
No FuKCing way !!!!!!!!!!

I was told butler had this but sounded to odd.

Thanks for the info .

Reverend Cooper
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
did someone say stripper?

GRAMPS SS
04-06-2007, 09:03 PM
u-spray for the win.....they did a whole car body for us.....

Corvette Jabo
04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Tips for sand blasting.
If you have a surface or a port that you want to protect from sand blasting cover it with Duct Tape, it will hold up fairly well in the booth. Also make sure to get all the sand out of your parts, if they get inside your engine it will kill your engine. I blasted an intake manifold and covered the carb port and all of the runner ports with duct tape.

Also if you want a better surface after you use the aluminum oxide booth, take it into the glass bead booth for a few minutes. This works especially well on aluminum parts. I blasted an old intake manifold and an old set of valve covers. I then sprayed them with brake clean to remove any oils from the sand and then sprayed them with high temp clear coat. They look as good as when I removed them from the glass bead sand blasting booth.