PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing alloy wheels . . .

SMS 1
04-05-2007, 09:19 PM
So as a couple people here may know already my 94 GTP has really become the red-headed step child of the family in the last few years. It really has gotten some serious neglect. Twice I had rear brakes grind for awhile before I got to fix them and by then of course the brake dust had caked onto the wheels pretty badly. I've tried every cleaner I can think of, spent hours scrubbing them. Even tried mild abrasives and even green 3M scatch cloths. Needless to say the crap is on there good and it aint comin off.

I was going to buy a new car but once again finances rule out that idea so I am going to go ahead with some mechanical and asthetic fixes on the old beast.

This may sound increadibly stupid, but how bad would it be to simply sandblast all 4 and repaint them all? Anybody willing to shoot them? I don't have a ton of cash so anything I can do at home would be best. I restored my IROC wheels no problem but they weren't caked in 1/4" of rust either:(

BadAzzGTA89
04-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Try meriotic (SP) acid!

Car Guy
04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Try meriotic (SP) acid!

Muriatic, and I've never thought of using that on wheels but if you do BE CAREFUL. I would bet money that if you dipped a wheel in a bucket of that stuff you wouldn't have a wheel left.....very powerful stuff....

:headbang :headbang :headbang

SSDude
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
If your going to try Muriatic acid dilute it. You might want to put it in a spray bottle. I'd try a 1/4 cup of acid added to a cup of water. Always add the acid to the water and wear rubber gloves. Have a hose available to rinse it off well.:thumbsup

Car Guy
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
If your going to try Muriatic acid dilute it. You might want to put it in a spray bottle. I'd try a 1/4 cup of acid added to a cup of water. Always add the acid to the water and wear rubber gloves. Have a hose available to rinse it off well.:thumbsup

Good advice, and DON'T breathe it in...!

:headbang :headbang :headbang

SMS 1
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Ya I guess I hadn't really considered that. I guess I just figured if I was going to repaint anyway (which I probably would have to with the acid, and previous scratches ect) I'd just blast and spray, done deal.

I'll consider it though. Anyone actuall done it? Sounds like you have SSDude . . .

BadAzzGTA89
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
I have that's why i said so lol
Dont leave it on real long like 10 minutes watered down!
Repeat as needed and you will be able to refinish them no prob:thumbsup

SMS 1
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Gotcha, sorry bout that I thought it was just a suggestion :chair: Guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Looks like an acid party soon :headbang

SSDude
04-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Ya I guess I hadn't really considered that. I guess I just figured if I was going to repaint anyway (which I probably would have to with the acid, and previous scratches ect) I'd just blast and spray, done deal.

I'll consider it though. Anyone actuall done it? Sounds like you have SSDude . . .

I've worked with acid before but not on wheels. Muriatic is good for etching concrete floors for painting, removing lime deposits and lowering the ph level of water cooling systems and pools. I'm not certain how it will work on these rust deposits. It's cheap and easy to try out though. Let us know how it works out. :thumbsup

Cjburn
04-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Muriatic is some wicked stuff, won't burn your hands right away, but leave it on there for a bit and it'll itch like crazy. I used it when I was doing concrete to remove the excess release from stamped concrete, right before we put the sealer on. It smells like shit, and will screw clear coats up pretty quick...