PDA

View Full Version : What cars are really "american"?

Flight_740
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/is-it-made-in-america/20070329142409990001

xxsn0blindxx
04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Who cares? It doesn't make sense to build cars in America anymore. American labor simply costs too much for low-skilled manufacturing.

Flight_740
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Who cares? It doesn't make sense to build cars in America anymore. American labor simply costs too much for low-skilled manufacturing.

Toyota seems to be doing it well.

xxsn0blindxx
04-03-2007, 11:47 AM
It's worth it for their image to build in the US, same goes with Honda.

Flight_740
04-03-2007, 11:53 AM
seems to be working.

GRM-REPR
04-03-2007, 12:16 PM
seems to be working.

It works when you make the car in the U.S with a proven labor system and ship parts from China that are mass produced by legal slavery...:goof

Take greedy American auto-workers, mix in a shitload of asshole union rep's, make what America now calls a "sub par" auto, and BAM...you get an American auto.

When I worked at Acura, most of the Honda parts-bags didnt' even have the English language on them, thus having the power to control how much cost is put into their parts. Thats why when I worked there the techs said, yea, they are reliable cars, it's the parts that aren't and that's where we make our money, on breakdowns....

In my opinion, things like this need to be considered as to what country owns the companies that make the vehicles. G.M and Ford are the only American auto companies left. I almost vomited last year when I was reading a thread in a Mustang forum about calling Honda and Toyota American cars..:rolf ...Yea, and Jaguar is American too because Ford owns them...:rolleyes: .......We consider the cars Toyota America makes here very good, in reality, they are garbage as to what is made SOLELY for Japan's domestic market.

Ford has the highest amount of American made parts in their vehicles followed by G.M and then Chrysler "Daimler a.k.a Not American Owned".

My opinion, and I'm all for corrections if I've made mistakes...Enjoy.

Waver
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Well till the 05 stangs came out, 95% of the mustang was built in Michigan at the river rouge plant....for a while even the steel came from that plant (when it was owned by ford)

Karps TA
04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Look over on the right sidebar and notice the "Editor picks" then try and put the article in context. The media will write these articles with a "shame on you" tone and then go and recommend anything but American made cars.

johnny--2k
04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
yeah, but half of the new "American" Ford's & GM's are built in MEXICO and Australia!

Crawlin
04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
When you have your own government trying to bring these plants to the U.S. to get the fingers in the pot of $, of course you'll see things like this. How about the fact that those plants don't pay any kind of school/property tax? So all the people out there that are teachers, or married to them, that complain about how little budget is left for schooling, and then go and BUY a car made at any one of these plants, you are supporting that benefit they've been given.

GOOD JOB:) !!!!

Crawlin
04-03-2007, 03:54 PM
And who ******* cares honestly? It's not like we don't already OWN Canada and Mexico. :) haha

Still funny that the top quality North American auto plant is NOT any of the Toyota/Honda plants, but the GM Impala/Century/Cadillac stuff

Flight_740
04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Brings up another good point........I don't like teachers.:rolf

johnny--2k
04-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Ford has 28 Currently Active Facilities in the US and

67 In Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, Canada, Russia, the WORLD! :stare :stare :stare

Now, these numbers are roughly based on this list. I counted multiple factories in one location as ONE (1) SINGLE FACTORY (ie: 4 in Brook Park, Ohio, I only counted as 1)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories

I'm sure the same applies to GM if you wish to count for yourself....48 US and 52 International....a bit better than Ford!