PDA

View Full Version : '03 cobra turbo f/s

sloLs1
03-29-2007, 02:07 PM
saw this on ls1tech.... looks like a pretty nice ride, but the price is kinda high?!?!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685103

BAD LS1
03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Really neat car! Not a fan of verts though. Yeah its a tad pricey too.

Cjburn
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
12 degrees of total timing at 15 psi, I always thought bigger bore 8 cylinders (as compared to the smaller of a bore 4 cylinders) were able to get a lot more timing than that even with high cylinder pressures?

Crawlin
03-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Depends On Alot More Factors Than Just Boost. If Starting Compression Is At 10.5:1 As Compared To An 8:1 Engine, As Well As About 50 Other Things About The Combo

BAD LS1
03-29-2007, 03:48 PM
If it had Meth injection you could easily get that up over 20 degrees timing, i bet it would gain 100 hp from the jump from 12 to 20.

sloLs1
03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
agreed with juiced and Badls1....

heads, intake, cam, bore, stroke ect. all play a major role in timing... even two identical motors could run a slightly different timing map.

Cjburn
03-29-2007, 09:30 PM
Understood, but in general the larger bore of the V8 allowed a physically larger area for a combustion event, allowing more ignition advance just because of size of the charge was allowed to be larger in the larger space provided, the time for the flame front to completely burn the charge was longer, therefore you could get away with more advance in general, as compared to my experience with a smaller bore (86 mm) of a turbo 4. I understand all other factors that come into it, hell 4G63's get more timing out of pump gas compared to SR20DET's just because their head has better cooling, which allows them to get away with a couple degrees more advance than you'd see with the DET's on pump gas without detonation.

Crawlin
03-29-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah, it's all cool, wasn't trying to sound snooty or anything :)

i think the other thing about it, is they might have tuned for the 23psi he was talking about, and then creep up from there with the timing.

i couldn't imagine having to deal with the tuning on a turbo car.

Reverend Cooper
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
i am only running 12 degrees in mine due to factory internals at about 8 psi so it sounds right. and really i dont think that price is outtal line look at the car, its a svt. turbo vert with lots o goddies

Cjburn
03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I was just wondering, that's all. I don't know what guys do without having complete control over timing like you do with a standalone, say someone only with a mechanical advance on their distributor, like a carbed blow through setup? I would like to find out how it's done, maybe a link to site or something so I can learn, it's just I'm interested in different setups. You didn't sound uppity at all to me, I have a thick skin when it comes to the internet anyways.

sloLs1
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Understood, but in general the larger bore of the V8 allowed a physically larger area for a combustion event, allowing more ignition advance just because of size of the charge was allowed to be larger in the larger space provided, the time for the flame front to completely burn the charge was longer, therefore you could get away with more advance in general, as compared to my experience with a smaller bore (86 mm) of a turbo 4. I understand all other factors that come into it, hell 4G63's get more timing out of pump gas compared to SR20DET's just because their head has better cooling, which allows them to get away with a couple degrees more advance than you'd see with the DET's on pump gas without detonation.

one more thing about the larger cylinder bore... you also have a larger area for detetion to occur. a larger flame front a bigger area to control.

but i hear you and this discussion could go on for pages!

i am only running 12 degrees in mine due to factory internals at about 8 psi so it sounds right. and really i dont think that price is outtal line look at the car, its a svt. turbo vert with lots o goddies

i geuss... i am a little turned off by the drop top:rolleyes: to someone looking for a car of that nature, it would be a fair price for both the seller and buyer.