PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new computer...need help

Flicktitty
03-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Hey guys/gals

so i decided i want a new computer my old one has been messing up alot as of late and it's going on 10years old, so it's arcaic by todays standards lol.

i don't plan on spending alot of money on one which may sound dumb but oh well. i plan on just getting a "TOWER" and keyboard for now then get a new Screen in a few weeks if i really need/want one.

i'm looking to spend around $500. no more then $550 please

i found this one Via the Walmart site it sounds pretty good to me and a couple of my buddies. I would like some of your guy's perspective on this computer. I know Vista some people say has problems depending on the Video card and the RAM i believe it was. so i would like to know what you guys think of this computer
New computer (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5493593)

if anyone has any suggestions as to differant computers or where to look to buy one let me know.

i plan on just using it for Internet and pictures. and being able to play music. Nothing to special i just don't want something that is going to run out of space soon lol.

so thanks in Advance - Nick

pOrk
03-26-2007, 03:32 AM
You should be able to get a nice setup with 500, the computer I am currently running I paid 350 for, and it came with a 19" LCD flat panel ;-) Brand new from best buy, by the way. Only a gig of ram, but 40 gig HD and thats all I need

Myles
03-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Nick, hit me up on IM. I can get you one for that or cheaper.

Waver
03-26-2007, 08:06 AM
SHit I know I can get you one cheeper....since we sell a hp with the same specs for 100 less. plus it can be customized by hp

Myles
03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
378 so far.

3800+ 64 AMD dual core
320 gig Seagate hard drive
mobo that has built on everything, with the ability to go better on graphics with the 16x PCI-E port
1 gig ram, able to go up to 16 (thats what the board says it supports, they seem to have neglected adding enough DDR2 slots)
20x DVD writer (does dvds cds blah blah)
Case

its all shit i use basically, i just built the exact same machines basically (smaller hard drive) for work and they are stable and are not slow machines by any means.

Let me know what you want in a keyboard.

Waver
03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
o.k. you got me on the board size....the most that I can get it up to is 4 gigs of ram

Myles
03-26-2007, 08:45 AM
o.k. you got me on the board size....the most that I can get it up to is 4 gigs of ram

Nick, you are trying to sell him an HP. I would just stop talking in this thread right now.

Waver
03-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Nick, you are trying to sell him an HP. I would just stop talking in this thread right now.

Hey that is all I can get my hands on.....I am a little bit more limited what I can do at the store level, and you wont ever see me taking apart a computer, as that is a bit out of my league....I will leave that up to you.

your setup is nice

Slow Joe
03-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'd stick away from the HPs as well... That sounds like a pretty good value there Myles... :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
03-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Myles....whats so wrong with HP...had this one going on a year...no problems yet....whats the big mistake about getting a HP.....your the expert....so i'm asking.....

Myles
03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Myles....whats so wrong with HP...had this one going on a year...no problems yet....whats the big mistake about getting a HP.....your the expert....so i'm asking.....

I hate pre builts. HP bought out compaq, and compaq had so many ******* problems it wasnt even funny. The thing i hate MOST about pre builts is the bullshit they load on there, and the amount of money they rape to sell you upgrades. Plus when you buy it, most of the time you cannot upgrade it, so you have to buy another machine.

Goat Roper
03-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I hate pre builts. HP bought out compaq, and compaq had so many ******* problems it wasnt even funny. The thing i hate MOST about pre builts is the bullshit they load on there, and the amount of money they rape to sell you upgrades. Plus when you buy it, most of the time you cannot upgrade it, so you have to buy another machine.

For folks who like to tinker with PCs, pre-builts are not much fun for the reason mentioned by Myles. They are fairly locked down in that replacing CPUs, adding new cards, etc, is usually impossible since they lock the CPU down or they have no PCI-E / AGP / PCI slots open to add things.

The software they load on pre-builts is usually a pain in the ass as well to people who like clean machines. Any PC I get that is a prbuild (like for the kids / wife) I wipe it clean it start fresh.

If you are someone who just doesn't give a damn, a pre-built with the software will do you just fine.

Flicktitty
03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Myles thanks for the offer, i'll hit you up on AIM tonight if i am home. That sounds like a good deal you can get me. Do you know if my older Dell Monitor and keyboard will work or will you be able to hook me up with that too?

Goat Roper
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
The older din connections should work, if not they have usb-to-din plugs

Poncho
03-27-2007, 01:32 AM
i'm looking to sell mine shortly.

Dell 4700C
Pentium 4
2.8Ghz
1.5GB DDR2 Ram (2.0 GB Virtual Memory) running at 800Mhz on the FSB
Running XP Pro 5.1 SP2
ATI Radeon X300 Video Card
Soundblaster Live 24Bit Sound Card. Supports 7.1 Audio, but has 5.1 (5 speakers and a sub)
Dell 17.5" Monitor (trying to sell, but could sell whole computer w/ it)
Linksys Wireless Adapter Installed
80 Gig Western HD

any thing else you need to know? We can work out a price. This would happen if I were INDEED to upgrade to a new computer thru school.