PDA

View Full Version : To GTP/Regal GS/etc. owners

T-Bag
03-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I just recently picked up a 2004 Grand Prix GTP cause I no longer had a need for a truck, and wanted something sporty but good on gas.

Anywho, its a quick car right out of the box, but I'm looking to wake this thing up a little bit without spending too much money. Basically, this thing is my daily driver and I'm not interested in turning it into a race car, just some light mods to wake her up. I want to keep my gas mileage as well.

I've been looking into pulleys, specifically the 3.4" along with a cold air intake. A lot of sites are claiming about a 35-50hp (crank) HP gain with this combo and I was wondering if this is pretty accurate and basically...is this what I would be looking for?

I'm not interested in throwing exhaust on the thing.

I was looking at this package
http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PP_3800SC_1&Category_Code=PP&Product_Count=0

Are these guys pretty reputable? Does it seem like a good package? Or any other sites that you guys could recommend?

Also, is that IAT extension worth the extra $20?

Last question, if I do decide to go ahead with this package, do any of you have the pulley puller that could lend a hand?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm kind of a newb to these things :goof

theavenger333
03-24-2007, 01:44 PM
personally, a press on 3.4 or 3.5 is easy to find used. a home-made intake will do the trick just as easily, the only difference would be how decent of a heat shield you build. again, this is all speculation to some, but putting on the pulley will give you more Knock Retard, i'd throw in cooler plugs at least. on the stock car, you can get away with running only midgrade usually, you put on the pulley, premium only.

T-Bag
03-24-2007, 02:44 PM
personally, a press on 3.4 or 3.5 is easy to find used. a home-made intake will do the trick just as easily, the only difference would be how decent of a heat shield you build. again, this is all speculation to some, but putting on the pulley will give you more Knock Retard, i'd throw in cooler plugs at least. on the stock car, you can get away with running only midgrade usually, you put on the pulley, premium only.

I only use premium anyways so I'm not too worried about knock retard. So...will these wake the thing up the thing a significant amount or should I not even bother? Just looking for a mid 14 second daily driver.

Poncho
03-24-2007, 03:09 PM
what you need:
3.4 pulley
u-bend removal + 3" DP
home made CAI
plugs & wires
HP Tuned (by Tom)

the car will wake up a shit ton, and you'll gain a good 40hp w/ a tune and pulley, and the above. they gain alot from mods, just like any blower car. It'll still be a normal quiet civilized daily. cept when you put the loud pedal down. then you make LT1s and 2V 4.6s your *****.

T-Bag
03-24-2007, 04:20 PM
So do any of you guys have a pulley puller still for when the times comes? :P

Poncho
03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
i'm sure pacecar959 does.

T-Bag
03-24-2007, 04:29 PM
K, I'll check when i actually decide to go ahead.

Also...what is this U-Bend you speak of and is there a pipe or something that replaces it or something? (total nub)

theavenger333
03-24-2007, 04:54 PM
i'm sorta with dan, the problem with L67s is that every single one is different. my car was a bit of a freak, it ran a 14.4 with just an intake, plugs, ubend, and 3.4 pulley. when i put the tuning in, 3" downpipe, it ran a 14.2ish, with very bad 60 ft times. personally, i'd say go with the intake, plugs/wires, pulley, and EITHER a thermostat or tuning. the tuning, the main thing i say is the earlier Fan turn-on. going to a 180 degree thermostat will do pretty much the same thing.

as for a Ubend, after the cat, there is a litterally, U in the exhaust, about 5 inches long. its where the 02 sensor connects. it also happens to bend 90 degrees twice, and pinch the piping down to lower the power of the car. you can buy a bolt in unit for 60ish dollars, have a pipe welded in for much cheaper, (but you need an 02 simulator, about 25 bucks) or go ahead and buy a 3" downpipe which already deletes the ubend, for 150+

this is one of my fav sites for l67 cars....
http://tacgp.clubgp.com/faq1.htm some of the links are dead now, but there's a bunch of homeade intakes, etc.
http://www.clubgp.com/cgi-asp/mods.asp that will help too

Poncho
03-24-2007, 05:17 PM
steve and I might not agree on much, but we do on L67's.

mine was a freak on the other end, and ran a 13.96 with just a 3.4 pulley, removed u-bend, and a cone filter in place of the stock on.

they are really tempermental cars.

BAD LS1
03-24-2007, 07:09 PM
lol i should just build one of these things yet.

T-Bag
03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
I take it that some of these downpipes will still bolt to the factory exhaust correct?

BAD LS1
03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
I take it that some of these downpipes will still bolt to the factory exhaust correct?

Yeah, i have a hogan ORDP on my monte. I made a L67 pipe work for it cuz there werent V8 ones yet, but yes its a 30 min install.

BadAzzGTA89
03-24-2007, 07:45 PM
You can gut your factory box to here that blower whine!

UnderPSI
03-25-2007, 10:29 AM
lol i should just build one of these things yet.

Why, so you could only race on the street from a certain mph that gets you to down shift and when people don't want to race on your terms you just tell them that you are faster anyway and they didn't want to race cuz they knew they were going to lose.

Wait, that is team 3800.

:durr

Flight_740
03-26-2007, 01:51 PM
My white 97 went 14.1 with thrasher intake, 3.4, plugs.

Stock ubend was there.

Mr. Brett
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
You have to be careful with the 04+ cars. They have an L32, not an L67 and the Gen V blowers on them are a lot more efficient than the older Gen III's. This results in a lot more air being moved by minor mods like intake/exhaust/pulley. The factory injectors are smaller on the L32 as well and are notorious for leaning out and shattering pistons with only the above mentioned mods. Be careful.

jamest
03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
You can rent a pulley puller from zzp.

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=199

T-Bag
03-26-2007, 07:23 PM
You have to be careful with the 04+ cars. They have an L32, not an L67 and the Gen V blowers on them are a lot more efficient than the older Gen III's. This results in a lot more air being moved by minor mods like intake/exhaust/pulley. The factory injectors are smaller on the L32 as well and are notorious for leaning out and shattering pistons with only the above mentioned mods. Be careful.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm also not seeing this U-Bend, does this generation not have it? I dont see any obvious power robbing bends. Maybe that also accounts for some of the 260 rated hp over the 240 of hte previous gen.

I think I might just throw a trasher intake on this thing and call it a day. Its my daily driver and I can't afford to break it.

theavenger333
03-27-2007, 02:13 AM
good call. honestly though, i really would do the plugs, they're a cheap plug, Autoline PN 104s. not really a mod, but can do a world of difference

T-Bag
03-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Are those plugs a step colder or something? It has the AC Delco Iridium plugs in it right now, will these have an advantage?

BAD LS1
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Why, so you could only race on the street from a certain mph that gets you to down shift and when people don't want to race on your terms you just tell them that you are faster anyway and they didn't want to race cuz they knew they were going to lose.

Wait, that is team 3800.

:durr

Yeah i think they will get a 1st gear DS at like 37 or something with stock settings. They are putred if they dont get the DS and starts in the pit of 2nd lol.

theavenger333
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
yes, cooler plugs

Poncho
03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah i think they will get a 1st gear DS at like 37 or something with stock settings. They are putred if they dont get the DS and starts in the pit of 2nd lol.

35 on a stock pcm and 40 with a DHP. if they dont' get that shift, they're fucced.

BadAzzGTA89
03-27-2007, 07:29 PM
35 on a stock pcm and 40 with a DHP. if they dont' get that shift, they're fucced.

Yea that's what i get.

T-Bag
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Ah yes, the disadvantages of GM's long outdated 4 speed transmissions :)