PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Experts.....

Car Guy
03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
My father is looking for some of the mesh material that already has grass seed imbedded in it, similar to what you see on the side of the highways. It's for a spot on a hill and just laying down seed is not working to well. He has already tried the local hardware stores to see what they have, but what they have is very pricey and no one seems to have any feedback on how good it works.....

If anybody has some advice on this please chime in, I'd appreciate it.....

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

wikked
03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
I think what you're thinking of is blue/green looking stuff?
If it is, it's not a pre-seeded roll, it's a technique called hydroseeding.
I'm almost 100% sure it's what the city uses, because I can see the overspray on the curbs, heh.

It's a huge tank on a truck, that is pre-mixed with seed, fertilizer, mulch, and water... forms a pancake like batter.
It gets shot out of a gun, and sticks to the dirt. It has a very high initial growth rate because of the pre-mixed ingredients.

I don't know how big a spot it is... but there's another route you could go.
You could get seed/fert, a bale of hay, fabric stakes, and some biodegradeable landscape mesh (not the black fabric, but mesh, as in 1x1 open squares, and nearly invisible when layed down).
Rough up the dirt with a rake, throw down the seed, some fertilizer, then the hay, roll the mesh over the hay, and stake it down.

I used to do this all the time when I landscaped, and it works as good as anything as long as you water it regularly, twice a day is optimal (morn, late afternoon or evening).
Also be sure to use a hose with an adjustable spray pattern, and use very light fan pattern, otherwise the flow will be too heavy, and flood away the seed.

Option C, use seed, and a product called PennMulch.
It's basically pelleted newspaper with fertilizer mixed in. It's very similar to the hydroseed, except you can buy it in dry bag form.
Once it's hit with water, it will expand and stick to the dirt, forming an almost crust like layer.
This also works very well as long as you water it regularly.

As you can see, I've never used the rolled up seed, because there were always other cheaper methods that worked as good, if not better. :thumbsup

Car Guy
03-24-2007, 06:20 PM
The spot is maybe 15x30 at the most, and one other thing I forgot to mention is this is at a vacation home up in Merril. So being able to water it every day might not happen.....

Thanks for the advice...!

wikked
03-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Timed sprinkler FTW :)