PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette's and Littering

pOrk
03-24-2007, 02:44 AM
With all this talk about cigarette's lately, why does damn near EVERY smoker find it NECESSARY to throw their butt out the window, instead of putting it in the factory supplied ash tray or other waste dispenser in the vehicle.

This is gonna pull somebody's chain the wrong way, but I think it's the same reason they don't get up to smoke outside. Laziness

:thumbsup

johnny--2k
03-24-2007, 02:50 AM
my car does not have a factory supplied ash tray.......

Besides, it's bio-degradable:D :D :thumbsup

haha.....good stuff.

pOrk
03-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Nor a place for a trash receptacle either? Even a Smart car has room for a trash receptacle.

Last time I was on my bike, someone carelessly flicked their still burning butt out the window and it bounced off the visor on my helmet. That is littering, and if it would have made it between the visor and the chin shield of my helmet it could have caused an accident that very well could have killed me. Would you still be laughing if you caused major bodily injury to someone?

Its something that may never happen, but there is a chance to it and people are too ******* lazy are careless to think about things like that.

johnny--2k
03-24-2007, 03:01 AM
I can see where you come from being a bike owner, and that is one thing, since I have plenty of friends with bikes, that I am always cautious and aware of. If there is a bike behind me, I will either slow down or make sure I flick the cigarette down onto the pavement for that specific reason.....

Bikers are one of the things I always watch for when I am out on the road because I know a lot of them, and I know some who have been killed or seriously injured because of peoples carelessness and laziness in general, not just in regards to smoking.

I have a lot of respect on the roads for people on bikes....believe me there!

pOrk
03-24-2007, 03:04 AM
^ I know you personally and I am not targeting you at all by any means, just raising a problem I have experienced in the past as well as many friends. Its hard to find people that are AWARE of their surroundings when driving, hell you know EXACTLY what I mean if you have ever driven in florida. What a joke.

Thats one of the few down falls of wearing a full face helmet, if the shield is cracked open a tad for airflow, anything can get behind it.

johnny--2k
03-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Oh no, I know you dont mean it personally, but I am saying, I understand where you are coming from.

When I had my S2000, someone on a bus tried to throw a beer can into my car when I was on my way downtown during summerfest.....some drunken kids on the park & ride bus going down there. Luckily, it missed, but had it come into my car, or hit me since the top was down, I dont know what the outcome could have been.

It's scary to think about, but again, we all take risks every day, most of them much much bigger than this whole smoking-ban thing, but since they are a part of daily life, we deal with them and dont really let them irritate us.

Drunks, psychos, murderers, criminals, everything poses a risk these days, which ones are more important though, and which ones are hyped up?

pOrk
03-24-2007, 03:12 AM
Drunk drivers, thats another topic in itself. Just lost a friend, a big influence to the v-twin sport bike community, to a drunk driving accident. He was on his way home from work in his pick up truck when he and his vehicle were smeared all over the interstate where he was hit head on.

His wife and two kids are left with the mess, its horrible.

I already whored my own thread, oops.

johnny--2k
03-24-2007, 03:23 AM
oh man, that sucks. My prayers go out to you and the family. I have been there with a very close friend as well. It's hard to deal with. He was killed three months before his wedding, 25 years old.....

SSDude
03-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Besides, it's bio-degradable:D :D :thumbsup

Bio-degradable hardly. 95% of cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate (a plastic).

Being a ex smoker I remember the habits clearly. I never wanted to put butts in my ash tray because they would stink up the car something awful. Especially on a hot summer day with the car locked up.
Therefor it was easy to justify littering. We still allow smoking at my place of work. The factory floor is the place for ashes and scrap buckets are the place the butts end up. These sloppy habits will end up costing them the privilege to smoke.

Lash
03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Bio-degradable hardly. 95% of cigarette filters are made of cellulose acetate (a plastic).

x2

I was gonna post that also.

Waver
03-24-2007, 10:40 AM
my car dosnt have an ash tray in it.....it has a spot where the ash tray went, but it is not there any more....when it is tome to pitch my cig out the car, I look out for people on bikes, converts, dogs, and always try to pitch it at a downward angle...It is not lazyness for me. I have found that looking in my mirrors for others, and keeping my eyes on the road is a lot safer that trying to find the ashtray or that ever I am "Suposed" to put it in and taking my eyes off the road so I dont burn my interior of my car....Now, I know what people will say, quit smoking. Well it is a lot easier said than done....however people who have never smoked before dont seem to understand this

Holeshot
03-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I was guilty of flicking butts when I smoked. When my wife bought her Beretta back in 95 someone tossed a butt and it landed in her back seat. It cost $400 to have that burn marked repaired. I was still a smoker then and after that happened I never flicked a butt again.

Karma has a way of coming around. Every morning when I open the store I sweep up all the butts in the lot and in front of the door around the ash tray we provide so they don't get tossed.

wikked
03-24-2007, 12:46 PM
I never wanted to put butts in my ash tray because they would stink up the car something awful.

THAT is the quote I hear most often... and OMFG do the smokers not see the phucking irony :confused

Anyway, this is a repost, I ranted about the same thing last fall :D
Some dumb bìtch flicked hers out the window and it bounced off my windshield and luckily didn't land in the backseat (top was down).

But I see it daily on the freeway, and it's almost always someone in front of me, and one day it's gonna land on my top or in my backseat and burn a hole, and someone's gonna get a nice littering fine, as well as pay for fixing a burn hole, if I don't break my foot off in their ass first. :mad:

mike90lxII
03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
This is one of my pet peeves. I just don't get it. if you don't like the smell or the mess then do something about the habit so you don't have to deal with it. everywhere I go I see butts on the ground. now flicking your ashes out of the car really doesn't bother me but the butts out the window does.

SSDude
03-24-2007, 12:55 PM
THAT is the quote I hear most often... and OMFG do the smokers not see the phucking irony :confused

Anyway, this is a repost, I ranted about the same thing last fall :D
Some dumb bìtch flicked hers out the window and it bounced off my windshield and luckily didn't land in the backseat (top was down).

But I see it daily on the freeway, and it's almost always someone in front of me, and one day it's gonna land on my top or in my backseat and burn a hole, and someone's gonna get a nice littering fine, as well as pay for fixing a burn hole, if I don't break my foot off in their ass first. :mad:

It's amazing what what we will justify to support a bad habit. It's after you quit that you realize you were wrong.

pickardracing
03-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Yet another gripe I have with smokers.

Every place of business, every roadway, every sidewalk in the US of A you can find hundreds of butts from loser ass smokers who are too goddamn lazy to properly dispose of their garbage.

I had some dickfcuk in front of me last year that flicked one out the window and it got sucked into my car with the top down and seriously melted a little hole in my carpet in the back seat. Livid isnt the word. Had he stopped in front of me I wouldve got out of my car, dargged him out of his, and shoved the butt up his ass with a baseball bat.

Hell, I'm a non smoker and I find them in my own goddamn yard.

Arigmaster
03-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I agree with ya Pork,

I'm a smoker and dont see the harm in tipping my ashes out the window but when it comes to the butts, I usually will flick the hot ash off and put the filter in a trash bag. What you are dealing with is people who don't pay attention and your right it could cause an accident or injur someone.

I smoke but I do try to be respectful to those around me driving or just talking (Indoors or out) I know it's a filthy habbit and unhealthy as well. I kick myself sometimes for starting again after I quit several years ago. I've been on both sides of that fence so I guess I try to be more respectful to others around me with my bad habbits. Just like with any situation, there are always those who just plain don't care or have respect for others...

hrsp
03-25-2007, 07:51 PM
had a buddy who had a cig flicked out of the window and on to the hood of his car...he followed them to the gas station and was liem wtf?? the dude said "you shouldnt have been so close" lol...didnt end well for him..lol but it shouldnt have ever happened...idiots

badass88gt
03-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Now, I know what people will say, quit smoking. Well it is a lot easier said than done....however people who have never smoked before dont seem to understand this

Thats a weak excuse. I smoked at least a pack a day, more on weekends for about 13 years and one day I got sick and tired of hacking in the morning, I quit. First i tried the patch, but I found myself smoking while I had the patch on. I finally realized it was all stupid, and quit cold turkey. Its called willpower. If you say you cant quit, its just another way of saying you WON'T quit. You dont want to bad enough.

Breecher_7
03-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Last time I was on my bike, someone carelessly flicked their still burning butt out the window and it bounced off the visor on my helmet.

This is the reason I drilled holes in the kevlar on the knuckles of street gloves and put screw in spikes through them. The work real well when you drag them down the side of someones car or bust there window out.. Golf balls and ball bearings work well to. I dont stand for stupid peoples crap. :thumbsup

Al
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
I think there should be a law against flicking the butt out your window.

I had a few land in my mustang vert when I had it.

i also don't like having foreign objects hitting my car. Period!

Waver
03-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Thats a weak excuse. I smoked at least a pack a day, more on weekends for about 13 years and one day I got sick and tired of hacking in the morning, I quit. First i tried the patch, but I found myself smoking while I had the patch on. I finally realized it was all stupid, and quit cold turkey. Its called willpower. If you say you cant quit, its just another way of saying you WON'T quit. You dont want to bad enough.

you are 100 percent correct, it is a mental thing.....you might be physicaly ready to quit, but you also have to be mentally ready...I am unfortunatly not.

johnny--2k
03-26-2007, 12:12 AM
agreed, me neither. It's a tough habit to kick, and anyone who says otherwise needs to get their head out of their ass...

I have tried to quit several times, and I can for a bit, but it just comes right back, especially when damn near everyone you hang out with smokes, that just makes it even harder

pOrk
03-26-2007, 12:43 AM
my car dosnt have an ash tray in it.....it has a spot where the ash tray went, but it is not there any more....when it is tome to pitch my cig out the car, I look out for people on bikes, converts, dogs, and always try to pitch it at a downward angle...It is not lazyness for me. I have found that looking in my mirrors for others, and keeping my eyes on the road is a lot safer that trying to find the ashtray or that ever I am "Suposed" to put it in and taking my eyes off the road so I dont burn my interior of my car....Now, I know what people will say, quit smoking. Well it is a lot easier said than done....however people who have never smoked before dont seem to understand this

Did you SERIOUSLY just type that? You're not lazy, not at all.

I am done eating my McDonalds, although I couldn't finish my sandwich or my fries. Since my vehicle is not equipt with a trash receptacle, I think I will throw all this food out the window of my vehicle.

What the **** is wrong with you?

With all the camera technology I have for my bike, maybe I will mount another forward facing camera and wire it to a dvr recorder and have it constantly recording. This way, when someone flicks the butt out the window I have both them doing it and their lisc. plate on tape. I can send the coded DVD into the DNR and they can have their way with the information.

It makes me absolutely SICK to see this happening ALL the time. You know what makes it worse? The cops do it too. ******* outrageous.

pOrk
03-26-2007, 12:47 AM
I think there should be a law against flicking the butt out your window.

There is, it is called littering. I have yet to see it enforced though, its a damn shame.